Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2021, 19:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Robbery attempt gone south, thanks to 2 Rottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
That's a very daring afternoon intrusion by the thief. Thank God for the Dogs
You need to put up a barbed fence where the intruder jumped the wall.
Or go with a simple and clean solution like this - broken pieces of glass atop the wall.
You should also advertise that your place is under CCTV surveillance and guarded by dogs.

Such visual deterrents are useful against prospective burglars.

Robbery attempt gone south, thanks to 2 Rottweilers-19276934roughbrickwalltextureandbrokenglassontop.jpg
McLaren Roxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 10:49   #32
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satish Pari View Post
She is "Kombai" breed - a hunting breed from South TamilNadu.
Kombai is an amazing breed. As a watchdog, it is excellent compared to the likes of foreign breeds. It has a good life span, no diseases and is one of the oldest breeds of India.

Imagine a scenario, where around 4 thieves attempt to get into your house, I'm sure, a Rottweiler or Pitbull would attack and stay with one person but, a kombai on the other hand, stands ground, and never lets anyone in.

The breed is known to give, severe bites at right locations and even if it is one among your many dogs, it always wants to lead the pack.

I'm not a dog expert, but was studying this to buy a watchdog for my house.
bkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 12:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

Even as pet dogs, regardless of breed, it's really strange to see them jumping and playing friskily with an intruder, wagging their tails!

This might not be the first time they are seeing him, and he might have run more because of their barking (fear of people being alerted) than fear.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 16:15   #34
BHPian

Great Job Rotts!

The location you have mentioned will be desolated in afternoon, except the main roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Or go with a simple and clean solution like this - broken pieces of glass atop the wall.
You should also advertise that your place is under CCTV surveillance and guarded by dogs.

Such visual deterrents are useful against prospective burglars.
Better to have metal Grill than these broken bottles. It will be a hazard for squirrel, cats etc. We should not harm them.
.HEM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 19:07   #35
BHPian

He sure looks to be a novice thief but daring given that he didn't even check if people were home?! or even after he did, that's more scarier that he could have harmed someone.
I just wish he had couple of bites. My neighbor had 2 of them and so, I have seen how ferocious Rot's can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satish Pari View Post
She is "Kombai" breed - a hunting breed from South TamilNadu. There are a lot of deliberations going on with this particular breed with some saying Kombai's are extinct and so on. Anyway I do not buy that and I firmly believe she is an excellent guard and hunting dog.

Historically this breed is supposed to have descended from dholes (wild dogs) who are pack hunters. Having seen dholes at close quarters several times, I can surely see the resemblance in her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
Kombai is an amazing breed. As a watchdog, it is excellent compared to the likes of foreign breeds. It has a good life span, no diseases and is one of the oldest breeds of India.

The breed is known to give, severe bites at right locations and even if it is one among your many dogs, it always wants to lead the pack.

I'm not a dog expert, but was studying this to buy a watchdog for my house.
Nice to know more on the breed.
O.T: Any idea where to get the original breed? Prices had gone up for Kanni, Kombai, Chippiparai, Rajapalayam, etc in the last few years and so, as one would expect, a lot of cross breeds sold for high price. Olx/FB I believe no more allows listings on pets.
Looking to bring home one to my Parents house in Madurai. Had a Lab which passed away a few months back :( and it was emotionally very disturbing that my parents are not ready to have one more but I do feel the need to. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by ganesc : 17th April 2021 at 19:12.
Old 17th April 2021, 19:24   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
He sure looks to be a novice thief but daring given that he didn't even check if people were home?! or even after he did, that's more scarier that he could have harmed someone.
I just wish he had couple of bites. My neighbor had 2 of them and so, I have seen how ferocious Rot's can get.
Yes prices have gone up for such breeds. One has to be very careful today as there are a lot of breeders who also tend to give false information. There are some good breeders but with Kombai, patience is the key. There are a few groups of FB and you can start by becoming a member and then search for pups.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th April 2021 at 19:28. Reason: Please quote selectively. Quoting an entire post inconveniences our mobile phone readers. Thanks.
Satish Pari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 22:41   #37
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
O.T: Any idea where to get the original breed?
I shall let you know, if I come across any genuine owner/breeder.
Kanni and Chipparai are more or less the same breed. With some colour variations.

Last edited by bkc : 17th April 2021 at 22:55.
bkc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 15:08   #38
BHPian

Good well behaved and trained pets, they did a great job in defending

Like mentioned by few others the thief might come back with intentions to harm the dogs, please be more vigilant about the same.
Old 13th April 2022, 19:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

^^^Thread is exactly one year old, I would also like to know if thieves ever came back and tried to harm the dogs in anyway. I hope not and hope OP posts latest news about the good boys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks