Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2021, 13:56   #46
BHPian

Re: 16, lazy & need direction - Advice please

Hey aravindb_0711

You would have been overwhelmed by such a great response to thread and BHPians taking out time to write wonderful long posts sharing their journey.

Unfortunately, I don't have wisdom to offer you any specific direction but indeed would encourage you to embark on the path where you start taking decisions for yourself. Seek suggestion, dig up resources but ''Everyone and each at their own'' is real life. Always remember, we are wiser in Hindsight.

All this comes from a guy who choose to become a Chemical Engineer since he liked smell of Petrol and quite happy he followed his hunch.

All the best for your future.

Love and Affection,
Himanshu
himanshu_trikha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 22:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

As someone who got out of engineering school not very long ago, I can say that what you are going through now is normal. Not everyone gets their act together and some are confused in their 20's, 40's, 60's. Heck there are even folks who are retired and question the very purpose of their life. Like someone said, not everyone is fortunate to be a cricket star or film star and live a life of glamour while living out their dreams. The reality of life is that it is the sum total of all experiences. There was an animated movie that came out in 2015 from Pixar called 'Inside out'. I would suggest you and everyone else reading this to watch it if you have time.

Regarding what you want to be, doctor or engineer is your calling. Don't look on the rewards (pay/security) of the profession. When one does what they love with hard work, money will follow. But you have to keep in mind that going the medical route takes sometime compared to the other. Each has their ups and downs. Engineers these days are known to branch out into various other sectors too, so scoring a job on the basis of your degree wont be an issue and you wont be jobless.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 19:44   #48
BHPian

First of all take a deep breath and think hard. Think of what would you like to do that doesn't feel like work. It could be anything under the sun. Make a list of such jobs/activities which you may love doing for a long time without ever feeling that you are working for a living. Name this list as dream list.
Now think hard on the list of activities/jobs/skills you feel you are good at. Take help from your friends, teachers, parents for this. Name this list as a capability list.
Now make a list of jobs you think you can make money from. Call this a money list.

Match your dream list with your capability list, the list of common jobs between both is the ones you should explore further.

Take that match and measure against the money list to see which job/s bring home the best bacon.

Once you finalize on one/two careers in which your natural skillset will help, the kind of work you love and which makes you some money, explore more on what you should to yo get to that job.
All the best!
Old 7th June 2021, 19:19   #49

Hey there.
Would just like to add my bit to the valuable advices that have already been given by many members of the forum.

I can relate with you since I found myself in the same dilemma some five years ago and am now studying in a medical college. Looking back I realise that the decisions made then, though important in their own right, don't really matter as long as you keep working hard and smartly in the field(s) of your choice.
I had no idea about which stream to choose, and found myself interested in a wide range of subjects coveted under humanities to science. And there wasn't any pressure from home for a specific stream so chose science with both maths and biology (I believe you too have a similar set of subjects) to keep my options open.
Didn't like maths a lot so focussed on NEET and got through it in the second attempt. But the point here is I never think myself as being restricted by the college/course/field I have chosen; I am not very passionate about medicine, but am still giving it my best. I may even switch to a different related/unrelated field at a later stage.
Interests and priorities change with age and restricting yourself at 16 would be disastrous. Remember engineering and medicine are not the only existing fields.

As far as the current situation goes, it has indeed been a very tough time especially for students. You must not lose hope and start working out a bit and spend time on your hobbies and try to stay connected with friends as much as possible.

Don't despair and just go with the flow buddy!
Good luck.
Old 30th June 2021, 03:54   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindb_0711 View Post
I find myself interested in multiple things

Everything was going perfectly to plan until 10th grade.
I am unable to concentrate during my classes and study properly, leading to ever decreasing results in tests.

I have an almost impossible dream of getting into an IIT and developing a career as a race engineer in motorsports.
Hey there! Sorry for being the late one here as I came across this thread recently.
I think many people would already have answered your question and that's great.

As the one who recently went all through this [ i gave my jee last year] , i can say that leave no regrets in what has happened in the past .

If you are confused about what you should do or not, start focusing individually on what you like. You might find the better of them.

The current situation is not great and restrictions of outside activities might have had an effect on your mind and body and indirectly your studies.
I suggest you to do regular exercise/yoga and meditation for 20mins at home. It greatly reduces the mental and physical fatigue.

Class tests marks do indicate your regular performance but don't get demotivated by them , because in the end the final result is what matters. ( I scored double in final exam than what I used to score in my class tests)

Nothing is impossible and believe in yourself.
Storme5257 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks