Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2007, 10:42   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Addendum: This particular version of "Breakdown" has Tom Petty reacting to the crowd participation, where he says "You're gonna put me out of a job", soon after they crowd starts singing.
Old 3rd June 2007, 10:51   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Yeti, the next time I meet you I shall make sure you wont be hearing your lows .
Old 3rd June 2007, 12:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Hello all,

Yes, I was at the show. I'm not a HUGE aerosmith fan and was in Pune this weekend, so I chose not to go for the show.
Then this morning I was persuaded by a good friend to go, so I went. What the hell, we have but one life.

So my apologies for not contacting anyone, I arrived an hour before the show and will leave tomorrow. Well today. Technically. I did meet c3po and anush at the show. I will plan a better longer trip next time. I am sorry, it was rushed, please do not think of me as rude.

So about the show. It was fun, but I was disappointed in some ways.

Allow me to explain. There are bands that have fans, crazy fanatical fans that know every song and the lyrics, leads and twists. Bands such as Mark Knopfler (dire straits) Roger waters (Pink floyd), Iron Maiden (OH YEAH!). I use these examples as these are recent bands to play in India. In all these cases, the crowd was able to sing to almost all the songs and relate to them. Bounce to them, yell them out. Each and every song.

It is my analogy that Aerosmith, however is a big band with only a handful of recognisable songs in India. I gathered that over 95% of the crowd was only able to respond to hits such as "Crying" "Love in an elevator" "Don't wanna miss a thing" "Walk this way" just to name a few. But the other songs, well for many this was a first time listen. That changes the energy of the band. To have a crowd that can only respond to 5 of your 20 songs makes it difficult.

They didn't talk much, got straight down to business and rocked it in style. Best buncha old geezers I ever saw and Steve tyler and joe perry were god-like, often.
The band was a bit loose in the beginning, almost like they weren't completely there, mis co-ordinated of sorts. 30 mins into the show and they were banging it in style, with Joe's guitar and Tylers stage antics and frilly shirts and a huge LICK ME painted just above his sensitive area.

The stage production was pedestrian, people that saw the maiden concert will agree that the aerosmith stage, in comparison was very average and the lights nothing great. There was no opening band, no warm up, just "Welcome to Aerosmith concert" in a very bad font for 2 hours before they came.

The sound sucked. Oh it sucked so hard. Very dissapointing. The limiters kept switching on and the sound was loose and wvery and inconsistent. The mix was poor and was constantly hurriedly corrected. Tyler kept pointing to his mic and sometimes his harmonica mic. The guitars were fuzzy and vocals unclear. The bass was tight and hard, but in fits. Overall, it was not justified to charge more for this show than maiden which IMO was a better show, better organised, better band (different genre, but what the heck) and with more entertainment. These boys didn't quite connect with the audience.

I'm not unhappy, I had a blast. But I expected more. But they rocked and in style.

Traffic was very badly managed (was it managed at all?). Getting my little Santro out took me an hour and 10 mins after the show. Sigh..
Old 3rd June 2007, 12:11   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, same bad traffic experience here. Even the audience entry, line management etc was poor to say the least.
Old 3rd June 2007, 13:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Traffic was very badly managed (was it managed at all?). Getting my little Santro out took me an hour and 10 mins after the show. Sigh..
Took me 4 minutes from the time I sat in my car, to the time I reached TV tower.
Old 3rd June 2007, 14:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

Well as for the show, sound was a total flop like Sam mentioned. It could have been better and surprising that there was no other bands playing.
My friends who came to watch the show were pretty dis-appointed and said Maiden were leaps and bounds better.

I did as ever, never parked at the venue. Parked the car in my friends office parking lot and walked up to the venue.

Sadashiv nagar or VasanthNagar is the best place to park and walk up to the venue. You @least dont have go thru the traffic woes at the venue.
Old 3rd June 2007, 23:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishism View Post
.....ism; Music is the one true soul of us all!....
talking about music, once a musician said:
"my music is not the sound which i make, the real music is when i stop making those sounds...... that sound in the beging is just to wake you up"
Old 4th June 2007, 00:16   #38
BHPian

man i wish 50cent, g-unit,snoop and all the other top rappers from west coast
tour India
Old 4th June 2007, 00:51   #39
BHPian

sad to hear Aerosmith didnt really rock B'lore that much.
I was at his Dubai concert and i can say it absolutely rocked. The show lasted 1hr 45mins and Tyler did not take a single break, he was on a roll and the crowd was loving each second and singing along.
The sound was very good, i enjoyed it... though they could have managed the bar better :(
Old 4th June 2007, 09:37   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
though they could have managed the bar better :(
lol, our entire show was sponsored by Royal Challenge Whiskey, but not a drop to drink.

After fighting through the crowd and struggling at the soda fountain, I bought some 7Up and honest to god, it tasted exactly like club soda.
Old 4th June 2007, 16:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
lol, our entire show was sponsored by Royal Challenge Whiskey, but not a drop to drink.

After fighting through the crowd and struggling at the soda fountain, I bought some 7Up and honest to god, it tasted exactly like club soda.
i think the organisers thought " rock music + alcohol = massive explosion ".

are you sure sam, that it was just 7Up and not Diet 7Up
Old 4th June 2007, 19:55   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
man i wish 50cent, g-unit,snoop and all the other top rappers from west coast
tour India
Some folks I know over at DNA tell me they are targetting Black eyed peas for August.

And ya the sound was bad. Can't put it in as much technical stuff as Sam but just when they started playing, it was almost like we din't even know it! Increase-the-volume kind of a thing..
Old 5th June 2007, 10:19   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
Some folks I know over at DNA tell me they are targetting Black eyed peas for August.

And ya the sound was bad. Can't put it in as much technical stuff as Sam but just when they started playing, it was almost like we din't even know it! Increase-the-volume kind of a thing..
I heard next is going to be the gods themselves " Metallica" . I cant wait for them to come down.
Old 5th June 2007, 10:47   #44
Team-BHP Support

Did they play "Dream on". If not, its a sad day for rock
Old 5th June 2007, 11:31   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Did they play "Dream on". If not, its a sad day for rock
Yeah they played it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks