Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2021, 12:05   #46
RMN
BHPian

Re: Becoming a YouTuber as a career option?

Definition of success on YouTube or social platform also matters. There are 2 ways you can be successful.

1. By making useful content: This is a durable model. Channels like MKBHD, LTT, Donut Media or Doug DeMuro create content that engages subscribers for a long period of time. I have been following these channels for many years and every time I visit the channel, they have contents that are useful and informational to me. I'm sure 10 years from now also that would be the same. Because their business model is built around that. Tech is always going to change, new cars are always going to come out and we always need more info and coverage on them. These channels provide exactly that(and more) and channels like MKBHD and Donut keep improving their production quality.

These channels to me are akin to mainstream media and I consider this is as a proper career option.

2. By making Trending/Clickbait/Influencer contents: Flash in the pan channels, influencer lifestyle channels (which are plenty full these days) making content just on based trending or clickbaity nonsense. They make a lot of money too but these have no guarantee to last because anyone who can be a little shameless, has plenty of time and puts in a little effort can achieve this. This doesn't require much skill unlike the first category of people.

This is not a lasting career option but unfortunately everyone with a login these days think they can be social media superstars.
RMN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 13:44   #47
AZT
BHPian

The simple answer for 'Youtube as a career' is the same as anything you do for a second income. Do it alongside your current job and once your side income reaches your current income then you can quit the first job.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 15:41   #48
BHPian

I have 2 things to say
For every seemingly succesful youtuber, there are atleast 100 who tried and failed. If they don't have a degree or are unable to get a proper job for themselves, they are in a bad situation.

Many seemingly successful youtubers are living the EMI life, with many loans, many depreciating assets and little to no capital.

In short, out of several who try to make it their livelihood, only a few succeed. If they put similar effort in getting a good degree and working hard and smart at their job, they might earn less than a top youtuber but the probability of being successful, supporting a family, fulfilling one's dreams will be much more. Just my 2 paise
Old 16th September 2021, 15:41   #49
BHPian

While many has touched on whether it is easy or tough to be a youtuber, I would like to stress few points which is needed for a successful youtuber or vlogger.

1. Target audience: The channel needs to cater the target audience with clear audio, video & with proper language. (Ex: There is a channel called Madras Samayal which every bachelor in Tamilnadu tries when we make a recipe & hence this channel makes 1st time cooking an easy job). Similarly every youtuber needs to cater to their target audience satisfying their needs.

2. Patience: Needs lot of patience to taste the success. When we search for a content, number of videos will come. Hence we need to make it really good & wait for sometime to get our name in the top lists.

3. Uniqueness - As GTO mentioned, it's a low capital intensive business. Lot of guys try something every other day. So we need to ensure that we have a uniqueness in our content.

4. How we save the time & energy for the customers(viewers): This is very important aspect for a youtuber. He/she needs to ensure that a viewer get the content he/she expects with right video & audio clarity. (Ex: Previously when we need to travel in a bus, we need to search multiple bus transport sites to fetch seats & cost. Now, Redbus collates all the info, present it & we just need to choose the one which suits us based on our needs like fare, departure time, journey hours etc..).

Redbus success is not driven by their fleet but by their way of collating the bus operator's data & how they present in single page. Similarly, a Youtuber needs to touch the audience with right data & save their time to get repeat views or audience.

Conclusion: Based on this, I would say a youtuber needs to put lot of time on his content, preparation, editing etc. & still he needs luck. So youtuber is not an easy profession & will not suit everyone.

Last edited by Fiestaboy : 16th September 2021 at 15:42.
Old 16th September 2021, 15:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

There are a couple of food channels in Tamil, and the guys have a lot of traffic, including international traffic. "Village food factory" is one and the other is "My money, my food" or something like that. They seem to earn in lakhs, but from what I see they also spend at least a lakh to produce each video. The key character in the video has a special talent, is very down to earth and the cooking is on a huge scale. The cooked food is distributed to destitutes at the end. The food is prepared in a rustic manner, which seems to appeal to the audience.

Here is an example:

Last edited by Gansan : 16th September 2021 at 16:04.
Old 16th September 2021, 16:43   #51
Team-BHP Support

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the reaction industry. Yes, folks whose only skill is to react to other professionally made videos.

Some channels like Our Stupid Reactions has over a million subscribers. It is a trick mastered by many. Reacting to Indian videos is a big way to attract viewers. Some reactors (is that a word?) are very good, they are knowledgeable enough to dissect the content quite deeply. However a majority channels just make oooh, aaahh, noises while throwing around adjectives every few seconds. There is one guy who just cries and sighs and hardly says anything. Reacting to singer Dimash alone can be a standalone industry.

Then there is the reaction compilation channels. They are too lazy to react to a song, because even that requires some level of equipment and face time on camera. Instead they collect interesting reactions and make a medley out of it.

Compilation of shocked expressions of reactors to singer Dimash.

How about making video of reacting to the compilation of shocked expressions of reactors to singer Dimash. Any takers?

Or you can wait for a year and make a compilation of reactors to the compilation of shocked expressions of reactors to singer Dimash.

Last edited by Samurai : 16th September 2021 at 16:45.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 18:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am surprised nobody has mentioned the reaction industry. Yes, folks whose only skill is to react to other professionally made videos.
You are so on point!!

But don't these videos get instantly demonetized due to copyright claims?
I see a lot of popular YouTubers being ultra-careful of any third-party music playing in their videos lest they end up getting a copyright claim!
Old 16th September 2021, 19:34   #53
BHPian

By far the best Youtube travel channel in India is "Ronnie & Barty". The quality of cinematography, story telling and sound is truly stunning. Both the creators have Bollywood experience and it comes through in their videos.

Most of their videos cover Himanchal and Ladakh. Wish there was a similar channel focused on Uttarakhand, my home state. Heck, I am inclined to start one if none shows up soon. Not solely as a means of making money, but more of a life/ soul project to capture the beauty, culture and history of my beloved dev bhoomi. Something that I would do even if I don't make any money.
desidino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 19:46   #54
BHPian

Anything can be made a career as long as you put your heart and soul into it.

But can you make crazy money? Depends also on a bit of luck and how your content stands out from the crowd.

I agree on the “part time” career option, because there are just too many variables and you are left to whims and fancies of YouTube algorithm gods.

Many of the top youtubers (eg MrBeast,Nelk) don’t really make that much from views but significantly higher via “merch” sales and have there own private fan websites been pushed via links from youtube for “better 1on 1 interaction”
Old 16th September 2021, 19:51   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
But don't these videos get instantly demonetized due to copyright claims?
There is a reactor who addressed the question.

Old 16th September 2021, 23:59   #56
BHPian

I have a keen interest in cars and anything to do with tech. When it comes to gadgets and other paraphernalia, I follow MKBHD aka Marques Keith Brownlee. He has been making videos since he was a kid and till date he has interviewed the Who's Who of the tech industry - Sundar Pichai, Satya Nadella, Mark Zuckerberg, Elon Musk, Bill Gates and even Barrack Obama.
In this video he speaks about his journey of becoming a Youtuber and how it has been so far.

Old 17th September 2021, 08:14   #57
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

I'd say it doesn't hurt to keep it as a hobby. I have a shoddy little channel and I upload, driving, gaming, vocal and guitar covers but have like 26 subscribers because I was never a popular kid and my friends are extremely unsupportive.

Besides, I've done little to spread the word as well and my pace of uploads is extremely slow.

That aside, being cringy and irritating can come a long way in a youtube career. Got a remap? Just keep showing your face on the camera, talk about your dog pooping and what you had for breakfast. Essentially, make a 15 minute video with only 1-2 minutes about the remap. Clickbait people as much as you can. Get sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends. Try to be as irritating and shallow as you can and exhibit the lack of knowledge (Musafir a.k.a Idiot/My Country My Ride).

On the contrary, they're are hidden gems in the dirtpile called youtube. Look at that young lad at Fuel Injected and Gagan Choudhary. For vlogs we have Anurag Salgaonkar and Francesco Galante. In music, we have Stevie T and Bradley Hall. For gaming I can share Alpha Beta Gamer (good PS1 style and mostly horror stuff) and ManlyBadassHero. I used to be a long time Markiplier subscriber but past few years he does everything except what his channel was meant for, so unsubbed. He's become extremely irritating. Holy hell, if there wasn't a better car channel than Hagerty with Jason Cammisa or Harry's Garage.

I'd say as a run-of-the-mill person, it's better to have channel as a hobby and not as a career or as a source of primary income. Plus not worrying about monetization also allows me to put copyrighted music in my videos

P.S. Stay away from IGP. Extremely annoying and can't even shoot right or follow simple instructions in a game. His IQ is that of a potato. Markiplier has become the same.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 17th September 2021 at 10:39. Reason: Removed link to channel
Old 17th September 2021, 10:24   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
Hey, I do that! These are some reasons why I actually put an effort to unfollow.
  • Content does not seem familiar anymore.
  • No more interest in that particular topic.
  • General feed pruning. Keep the one or two interesting channels and unfollow the rest.
Hope it helps!
---
Agree with your points.

In my particular case however, the core content I share which is related to my car does not change, so that's a constant. In my understanding, those that unfollow are the ones who were expecting a follow in return, and not seeing that, this is their idea of getting back. Such folks are better not having around.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 10:44   #59
BHPian

Pablo Picasso had once said: " The world makes no sense why should I paint pictures that do?". So this rather strange phenomenon of making money through YT is no novelty.

Its a brave new world (and I am a misfit).
Old 17th September 2021, 10:52   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

I have some limited experience of "Youtubing". A bunch of alumni who are musically inclined did a few online collaborations during lockdown where we performed, arranged and mixed popular songs with an accompanying video recorded on a pre-decided theme. Some learnings from the experience:

- There is no surefire "formula". There is always room for productive niches: stuff like car/bike reviews, guitar gear comparisons, music tutorials, kids doing random stuff with their families (trust me this is HUGE with kids) etc. But these are crowded spaces and there is no explaining, for example, why Rick Beato should win over a thousand other music tutors or Supercar Blondie gets more eyeballs than any other car reviewer.

- Talent is secondary. Gimmickry is King. Seemingly talentless hacks get more views than incredibly gifted ones. Cringepop "sensation" Dhinchak Pooja (or her predecessor Rebecca Black) make me want to cry.

- Link it to something relatable- a celebrity or a popular trend, for instant likes. Pssst...there are also digital marketing shops that will help send likes your way for a small fee, if you're so inclined!

- Your Youtube likes will be cannibalised by people circulating uncredited (or falsely credited) videos on Whatsapp. Deal with it!

- Start young, if you must. Kids have an incredible innate knack for this kind of stuff. My younger one says she wants to become a Youtuber "like Addy & Maya" (look them up!). I say why not? Doctor engineer banane mein kya rakha hai aajkal?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks