Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2021, 11:38   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Becoming a YouTuber as a career option?

Interesting topic of discussion.

As a full time career option I think it is a very risky choice. Like some of the others have already pointed out - all it takes is for YouTube to change its rules and reduce the amount being paid and all the ROI Calculations will go for a toss. There is no real regulation over how much YouTube pays and mandate that they need to continue to pay.

YouTube is an extremely good medium to reach a large audience sitting within the comfort of your home. Especially during Covid, it is an opportunity for many talented people to share their skill and ability on a virtual stage when the same was not possible in physical.

In the beginning it looks easy, but there is usually a lot of additional work behind the scenes that go into a video in terms of editing and refining.

I think there was definitely an early mover advantage for those who caught on early - now that the platform has matured and it is a crowded place - only those who can truly differentiate will succeed. I would recommend keeping YouTube as a second option and not rely on it as a primary source of income.

On a another note, Nitin Gadkari just claimed he makes ₹4L from YT every month:

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 17th September 2021 at 11:40.
Old 17th September 2021, 11:42   #62
Team-BHP Support

Nitin Gadkari's youtube channel generates Rs. 4L per month in income apparently! Straight from the horse's mouth:

'YouTube pays me Rs 4 lakh/month': Union Minister Nitin Gadkari shares how he utilised his time during COVID
https://www.timesnownews.com/india/a...g-covid/813134

Quote:
In Covid-19 time, I did two things - I started cooking at home and giving lectures through video conference. I delivered many lectures online, which were uploaded on YouTube. Owing to huge viewership, YouTube now pays me Rs 4 lakh per month," he added.
Becoming a YouTuber as a career option?-screenshot_1.jpg

He doesn't seem to have too many subscribers (around 200,000) and his videos do not get too many views either (5k to 20k views). But he seems to upload 5 to 6 videos per day, and that is helping!
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 13:04   #63
BHPian

Like many others on the forum i too believe that YT cannot be a carrier for life and you need to have some skills or you need to develop some skills to keep yourself relevant in the market.

The market is ever evolving, for e.g. "Communication" back in 90's when the pager was introduced it did not stay relevant for a long time cause mobile phones soon took the market by storm. There were not many service centers for mobile repairing and it was a rear skill those days. Even the service providers kept on moving 2G, 3G, 4G & now they are in a process of bringing 5G.

So i believe as long as you have the right skill set, that keeps you relevant in the market, people will buy your services and you will keeping earning...
Old 17th September 2021, 22:14   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

On a another note, Nitin Gadkari just claimed he makes ₹4L from YT every month:
Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Nitin Gadkari's Youtube channel generates Rs. 4L per month in income apparently! Straight from the horse's mouth:

'YouTube pays me Rs 4 lakh/month': Union Minister Nitin Gadkari shares how he utilised his time during COVID
https://www.timesnownews.com/india/a...g-covid/813134

Attachment 2208156

He doesn't seem to have too many subscribers (around 200,000) and his videos do not get too many views either (5k to 20k views). But he seems to upload 5 to 6 videos per day, and that is helping!
I think discussing this is kind of going off topic because an influential person be it of political background or show business/sports with crores of followers/fans can easily earn good amount in youtube specially if he/she goes on to show his/her personal life or events that people are so interested to know about. Think about how much personalities like Shah Rukh Khan or Sachin Tendulkar can earn if they start making videos on youtube.

While it's amazing to see how much some successful youtubers earn these days, I do believe that it can't be a substitute to regular career choice. It can be a good side business but can't be a sole career option. And as some have already said, you'll only become successful if you like what you're doing and not just for the sake of earning money through your channel.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 22:38   #65
BHPian

YouTube as a career option! You need to stay ahead of game and be at mercy of Algorithms.

You will start small but to convert into full time career option, you need to hire team and invest in content. And you have to be in top 1% even to earn a decent money. Also videography lenses and equipment is costly.

Adsense: Remember good old days of launching website and having ad-sense. Google used to pay a lot some 15 years back. Now it doesn't pay much. Going ahead, you are plunging yourself in uncertainty. YT pays less compared to Indians compared to creator from USA. Ads in USA are more lucrative than in India.

Content: Very few Indian content creators have a content that doesn't waste time. Few among them are Ronnie and Barty, India in motion. Among foreign creators, nothing matches content created by Johnny Harris. I don't know why people like watching people eating food, I like content of people eating food who share some interesting facts about food. The Big Forkers is a good channel.

Pandemic has caused people to consume a lot on YT given our mobile data rates are cheap. What happens when you run out of cheap data? Not many homes in India have unlimited broadband! You are depending on unknown factors for earning money.

Some popular Indian YouTubers pivoted to family content, I don't know why Indians love family content, do we have foreign YouTubers have such type of family content?

Music: YouTube has realised that music is what that is gonna earn them steady stream of income given cookies and tracking will be history.
Old 19th September 2021, 00:30   #66
BHPian

YouTube and content creation could be a viable career option. I have a small but active YouTube channel (170+ vids and 725 subscribers) and podcast (35k plays approx) in the finance/stock market niche. While I have earned nothing from the channel and next to nothing from the podcast (approx INR 5k to date), they have both helped me in establishing credibility and paved the way for other opportunities that might not have come my way otherwise.

Statistically speaking, becoming any type of influencer or creator might not be the best career option. But if you're young (esp if you're still in college) and like sharing information, content creation, in general, might be an area to look into. As we all know, there's tremendous potential and a massive upside if you make it even slightly big (having an audience has its perks). Expect it to feel like talking to a wall for a couple of years. Things might click if you still love creating content and continue sharing.

It's honestly worth a shot if you have the time!
Old 7th August 2022, 22:26   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post
YouTube and content creation could be a viable career option. I have a small but active YouTube channel (170+ vids and 725 subscribers) and podcast (35k plays approx) ...
Pardon me if this is slightly off topic ..
I have been trying to upload couple of my cycling vid's to Y-Tube.
What is I found is that Y-Tube automatically uses its compression algorithm and reduces the videos to pixelated pathetic quality.

What is the workaround to prevent this from happening ?
Old 8th August 2022, 11:56   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Pardon me if this is slightly off topic ..
I have been trying to upload couple of my cycling vid's to Y-Tube.
What is I found is that Y-Tube automatically uses its compression algorithm and reduces the videos to pixelated pathetic quality.

What is the workaround to prevent this from happening ?
Hey! There are a few ways to minimize the effect YouTube's compression has on the video quality. You can find these on YouTube and Google. I haven't used any of them so I personally can't recommend any. Unfortunately, there's no way (that I know of at least) to completely bypass the compression altogether.

Generally speaking, if your video is dark and/or has a lot of trees then it's going to appear very blocky even at higher resolutions. However, if you're filming during the day then it shouldn't be that bad. Just make sure you're recording and rendering at 1080p minimum and 1440p ideally.

I hope this helps!
AnInternetUser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 00:40   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
YouTube pays me Rs 4 lakh/month': Union Minister Nitin Gadkari shares how he utilised his time during COVID
Just wondering ... if the videos are his personal thoughts unrelated to governance, I can see how it can be his. Else, shouldn't the earnings belong to the union ministry/govt?
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 01:05   #70
Senior - BHPian

The rise of professional youtubers has become a problem for people with real passions and hobbies. I love repairing and restoring old hifi eqpt. 10 years ago the only content was from actual technicians and hobbyists uploading videos of the work that they've done. But now with the money coming is, YouTube is flooded with fake restoration videos.
They generally involve taking an immaculate piece of equipment, filming it working, and then dumping it in a swamp or something, picking it up and clearing it, and then showing the earlier video as if there made it immaculate again. As someone who spends so much time and effort to restore these things, watching the stuff we love getting butchered by these"youtubers" is downright painful. Even worse is reading the comments from naive viewers commenting how they are God like restorers and encouraging them, despite a few knowledgeable comments calling them fake.

And worst of all, it's hard to find a genuine repair video of something to use as a reference because YouTube is flooded with this junk

Here's an example. I'm posting a reaction video of it because 1. The guy explains what's wrong
2. I don't want to contribute any views to those who created the original video.

As someone who had fixed and restored several cassette decks, i can guarantee that this is not how you do it

Last edited by greenhorn : 9th August 2022 at 01:08.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 08:50   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
The rise of professional Youtubers has become a problem for people with real passions and hobbies. ...
+1 to that ..
And it is not just in the restoration field but all over the place.
I am sure many of you have come across videos of how 2 people with their bare hands and some basic tools carve out an amazing cottage deep in the jungle.

Truth : All this is fake and staged just for the Youtube $$ .

First of all it would not be in the forest, they would have hired some unused private land.
Then they take some videos of them digging, after which off camera most of the work is done by modern machinery
Then they build a house which will barely stand for the duration of the video .. subsequent to this they abandon it.

Here is a documentary about the same..

Last edited by Fillmore : 9th August 2022 at 08:56. Reason: added more content
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 09:44   #72
BHPian

+1
As someone who has been posting tutorials on YouTube for a couple years or so, I was shocked to find today that a very popular Indian company (with branches in the US) that sells courses on a variety of topics had "copied" the script and even the examples for an entire tutorial word for word from Microsoft documentation. The video has over 80K views and a bunch of comments too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks