Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2007, 18:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Momo is one thing though that seems to be vanishing fast. You still get them on special occassions/festival times but at other times many a erstwhile regular shops do not sell them anymore. For some it has simply vanished while for others although it still remains on the menu but is never available in actual.
"nahi nahi milta hai". Grub Club, Bistro (near Vikekananda Park) and Momo Plaza are infact very good and they still serve it.

if you guys ever go to Darjeeling / Gantok via Siliguri, you guys gotto check out the road side shops and they serve very good momos.
Old 28th May 2007, 19:25   #32
Senior - BHPian

Flury's is under The Park management these days.
And I totally agree about Nahoum. The only Jewish bakery in town, as old as New market and still going strong. You still have to fight through a huge crowd to get to their Christmas cakes.
Strange that no one mentioned Grain of Salt(some celebrity chef's place).
Shiraz is still a crowd puller but their quality has gone down these days.

Oi planet! Don't remind me about that horrible day so many years ago. Had a gwad awful experience pushing the shining new Ikon all the way to Mirania gardens..that too after tanking up on booze and silly chikkan!

Last edited by shuvd : 28th May 2007 at 19:32.
Old 28th May 2007, 20:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah of course. cookie jar. I think they have changed their name now, right? Is it called cakes or some such thing?
Kookie Jar is still there @Salt Lake City Centre - and somehow I prefer their confectionary stuff over Flury's.

Some of the Kookie Jar shops got rebranded to Cakes. Not sure about the story behind it. Though I've heard that some Kookie Jar people broke away to form it.
Infact, there were rumours that Kookie Jar was an offshoot of Bakers Square (Loudon Street ?). Bakers Square is also FAB.

@planet - Grub Club at Gol Park was my watering hole in the late nineties. I went the day they inaugurated and was a regular till 2001. I must say that in those 3-4 years quality had dropped a LOT. Dunno how it is now.
Old 28th May 2007, 21:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Guys long ago my aunt used to get me Chinese Spicy sausages from Calcutta. They were something else. Sausages with masala, chillies, vinegar and onions and stuff. A tad better than the goan ones but these guys were meant to be cooked the sausage way not the goan sausage way. Then I remember the stick jaws from flurry's and the almond horse shoes. Not to mention the Chocolate truffles ... Are they still all there? and what about the momos outside new market and the superb Chinese joints at Tengra(India's best Chinese cuisine is from and in Calcutta).... MMMM, Mudi, pucchka woww!!
Have had lotsa lovely spiced cocktail sausages from a New Market piggery. Fantastic !!!!

Btw, for Muri - the best IMO is the stuff you get on the daily commuter trains - specially on the Howrah Dhanbad line. Slurrp !
Old 29th May 2007, 11:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

has anyone of you guys tried Sourav's?

@ shuvd - Grain of Salt is owned by Sanjay Kapoor IMO.

few more:

1. Inthalia - Southern Avenue - continental + Indian
2. Mirch Masala - near Shuvd's residence & beside Pantaloons, Gariahat.
3. Haldiram's - VIP Road, near Raid-de-Rajarhat Express way & also @ Syed Amir Ali Avenue.
4. Udupi - one of the best 4 south indian dishes, Ballygunge Circular Rd (near pizza hut & dominos take away counters)
5. Copper Chimney - Shakespeare Sarani
6. Fresh-n-Up - Golpark - take away chinese food counter.
7. Mukherjee - beside 6, Ballygunge Place - Mughlai food.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 29th May 2007 at 11:41.
Old 29th May 2007, 12:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

[quote=planet_rocker;451613]has anyone of you guys tried Sourav's?

I am interested to try it next time when i am in Kol....
Guys, pls let me know the feedback....Worth a go or to expensive ????

Abhi
Old 29th May 2007, 12:41   #37
BHPian

Sourav's food is awful, service -pathetic !
One incident, we had a late night meeting one friday and went to Sourav's for coffee and snacks, ordered for paneer fingers (menu had it as Cottage cheese sticks or something), the waiter served us Fish Fingers, luckily i had tried it first and figured it out before some of my veggie colleagues started.

When we confronted the waiter, he still claimed that it was paneer.

Other than that also we went there for dinner once, food not worth the 'name' or price.

Regards
Old 29th May 2007, 15:02   #38
Senior - BHPian

Agree with toiingg. Sourav's is over rated. But, the club they have (Prince of Cal) is reasonably priced, daru wise. Otherwise its full of el cheappo crowd and bolly/commercial music.
Kewpie's used to be good. Haven't heard kind reviews about them in a while.
For good Bong food, Bhojohori Manna's take away is really good but on the expensive side. Bay of Bengal is cheaper but comparable quality wise.
Old 29th May 2007, 16:05   #39
BHPian

Totally agree with toiingg and shuvd... sourav's is totally not worth it, had some bad experiences there - rude waiters, long waiting times et al... lots of better options nearby - food wise mocambo, peter cat and marco polo are better any day; ambience wise zen, saffron and aqua in The Park are great.

The other day I had Pizza, Pasta and Beer at this place called Fire & Ice in Kanak Bldg... damn good stuff!!
Old 29th May 2007, 16:08   #40
BHPian

Hey guys, any low-price option for Thai food in Kolkata? Zen and Ban Thai are too expensive for frequent visits
Old 29th May 2007, 16:22   #41
Team-BHP Support

Actually kolkata has such fab places at even nooks and crannies that many a times people do not even get to know about except for the locals of the place/para. I remember as a kid I used to walk to a telebhaja shop on the bidhan sarani. Its just after crossing the Grey street junction. The shop used to make fabulous telebhaja, fuluri, shingara and stuff in bulk and put it in a huge wicker basket. People used to fall over each other with money in hand to get their grub. Things used to get over within a minute and then again it used to be wait till the next lot comes out of the kadhaai. The shop had a lot of photographs showing Netaji eating at the shop, rabindra nath thakur and many such illuminaries. Even some testimonials from great people of that era. I wonder whether it is still there!

Similarly another fun was the kotkoti that dad used to buy me when we used to walk to the heduah... that stuff cooked on a small spirit lamp used to be so hard that it used to take all my might as a kid to crack it under the teeth. But the taste used to be just delicious.
Old 29th May 2007, 16:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually kolkata has such fab places at even nooks and crannies that many a times people do not even get to know about except for the locals of the place/para. I remember as a kid I used to walk to a telebhaja shop on the bidhan sarani. Its just after crossing the Grey street junction. The shop used to make fabulous telebhaja, fuluri, shingara and stuff in bulk and put it in a huge wicker basket. People used to fall over each other with money in hand to get their grub.
, Also I remember one more sweet / singara-kochuri shop (i think it is Mouchak) immediately after coming out of Sealdah station near the flyover....

Another fuchka joint in Garia (near the railway station) where my friend took me, we had 24 phuchkkas each , we were in college then and was home in vaccation....those days were just eating and sleeping....

One more joint is which I remember is in Ballygunge near Bharat Sevashram Sanga (next to the bus/tram stand) awesome egg-chicken rolls...yummy

Abhi
Old 29th May 2007, 17:04   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
, Also I remember one more sweet / singara-kochuri shop (i think it is Mouchak) immediately after coming out of Sealdah station near the flyover....
I think Mouchak is there at a good few places... I have also seen the shop but can't remember where. Another local shop that I loved was Nadia... their Mishti Doi used to be unbeatable.

By the way this time when we were going to someone's house in rajarhat we all of a sudden remembered that we needed to pick up a mishti doi er haandi. Only shop we could locate on the EM Bypass was the VIP sweet shop or some such. The guy straightaway asked for Rs.95 a kg. And on asking why it is so costly he gave a poker faced reply... if you can find it anywhere reachable go and get it there. The message being he is taking advantage of the fact that there is no other shop within a reachable distance. And the doi was also no great shakes... had a lot of Dalda in it.
Old 4th June 2007, 13:50   #44

For guys in Sector V, BB'S in M City is an easy option .. Its couple of yards from desk!! Not bad .. Thai & Chinese ...
Bhojohori manna is quite good for bong food .. They have one outlet in Salt Lake near Jyoti's house ..
Old 16th September 2008, 19:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

kya bongs? lazy pheeling kya? hungry kya?

few additions:

1. Restaurant da Punjab - Gariahat off RB Anenue (NEW)
2. Motel Midway (sonar bangla) - Dhulagarh, NH 6
3. Haldiram's - Gurusaday road / syd amir ali avenue intersection
4. Sonargaon - Taj Bengal (don't kick me! i loved their veg bong thali)
5. C.I.T. Cafe - CIT road, parkcircus (beside executive towers) / (take away) - yummy chinese.
6. Baked and Fried - near SPHS / opp 6, Ballygung Place - only take away - Yummy.
7. Kafila - City Centre - a bit expensive but worth every paisa spent - 5 Stars.
8. Sheesha - 22 camac street - must check out. Good
9. Ka-shan - near Teen Murty petrol bunk.
10. Krystal Chopsticks - RB Avenue
11. Marco Polo / Marco Polo in china - near Deshapriya park - Chinese
12. Sanjha Chulha - off EM BYpass towards Ruby - Yummy Yummy!

@ guys - please add / update.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks