Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2021, 15:30   #16
BHPian

re: Padma Awards - Finding real gems across India

Wonderful thread dedicated to people who are actually contributing positively for society. Thanks for consolidating the information and presenting it here Raghu.
abhi_tjet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 15:57   #17
One
BHPian

Thank you for the post RaghuVis. This is very inspiring and hits closer to the heart - these are stories of grit and perseverance, not of innate talent or intellectual genius (which are awesome attributes too). These stories have provoked me to think more about the ability to contribute today in a meaningful manner because they sound achievable.
One is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 16:56   #18
BHPian

Thanks a lot for sharing RaghuVis.

Don't want to raise any political eyebrows, but the way Padma awards are being awarded to the genuine champions fills my heart with joy. Respect to all these brave warriors and a salute to their courage.
Abhineet Singh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 17:24   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

A most wonderful and touching thread. The Govt has also instructed the district administration to seek out these humble change agents and bring them up to the panel. The process is on line - no bureaucrat or his attitude to deal with. I have nominated someone for the 2023 awards. Let's see how that goes. In terms of trimming the unbridled power of the bureaucracy this Govt has done a lot that I know of directly. But a lot still needs to be done. This is true democratization of the Padma Awards.
V.Narayan is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 17:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Whenever I hear about the govt awards, especially Padma awards, Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan , Padma Vibhushan I'm reminded of this speech from the great late Mr. Cho in 2008-2009

Advance apologies for the OT & to the community of friends here who don't understand Tamil, it's a fantastic political satire, genius of Mr. Cho
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 19:05   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Whenever I hear about the govt awards, especially Padma awards, Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan , Padma Vibhushan I'm reminded of this speech from the great late Mr. Cho in 2008-2009

https://Youtu.be/rjJKk-o4DqM

Advance apologies for the OT & to the community of friends here who don't understand Tamil, it's a fantastic political satire, genius of Mr. Cho
I do not understand Tamil. Doubtless the irrepressible Mr. Cho must be lampooning it to the Govt and the babus. He is talking of a different era. The process is so different today it is light and day. Needless it does (and will always) get exploited to buttering up political personalities but that cannot be avoided so long as the bulk are deserving candidates. I could name a certain film actress who seems to fall in the buttering up bucket but will refrain from starting a social media battle.
V.Narayan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 21:04   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Mr Cho Ramaswamy was an orator par excellence, still remember his anecdotes from the days gone by. Don’t understand Tamil but would have loved to hear the translated version somehow

I have certain things to add here, hope that’s not exactly termed off topic but it’s connected to the original post. The Padma awards have had their share of controversies over the years but it redeemed itself after 2010 onwards somewhat, or that is what I feel at least.

I am surprised of the fact that OP talks about the awards that post 2014 all the awards seems like genuine and that common man is getting recognition. I am sorry but for a Tulsi Gowda, there is a Kangana Ranaut, for a Harekala Hajabba there is Ekta Kapoor so on and so forth. While I am happy that people from grass roots are being recognised and honoured, but this happened earlier as well. Just that the promotion of pictures was at another level these days and people are getting to know about them because of the social media blitz.

How many people know of a certain Late Binny Yanga who was awarded Padmashree in 2012 ?? She worked for the upliftment of destitute women and children in Arunachal Pradesh and her center still runs the same even after her demise. Or how many people know of a certain Late Jockin Arputham who was instrumental in working for slum dwellers and who was awarded Padmashree in 2011,Magsaysay award in 2010 if I am not wrong and also nominated for the Nobel Peace prize ??

Counting this year and the last year, almost 10-15 politicians were awarded Padmabhusan, Padmabibushan and Padmashree awards, all in the category of public service. This is the biggest change after 2014 !! I don’t remember the last time when so many politicians were awarded the Padma awards. The government might have opened some online procedure for selection but at the end of the day, those names remain tokenism for me.

The Padma awards will remain a fiefdom of babus and their superiors. Some genuine awardees aside, rest will always come with some sort of recommendations.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 21:15   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post

Presenting to you few of the Padma Award Winners!
Thanks for sharing this wonderful thread.

Such positive news are a few and far between these days and bring breath of fresh air which shows that still there are many such gems in our society who are striving to drive our nation and society as a whole in right direction without expecting any accolades/publicity or rewards in return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
In terms of trimming the unbridled power of the bureaucracy this Govt has done a lot that I know of directly. But a lot still needs to be done. This is true democratization of the Padma Awards.
Well said sir, Totally agree on this. . It makes us wonder sometimes why does it take so many years to recognize these role models.

Would also include jaswantiben jamnadas popat a symbol of women empowerment, founder of Lijjat papad due to her more than 45k women are self-reliant and earning.

Source twitter:-
Padma Awards - Finding real gems across India-whatsapp-image-20211110-19.59.12.jpeg

Padma Awards - Finding real gems across India-jaswantiben.jpg

This thread really made by day today. Thanks a ton for sharing!
SILVER-ARROW is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 22:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Great to know about these real life heroes. Adding one more.

Dr Kushal Konwar Sarma for Medicine. Dr Sarma is widely recognised as the "Elephant Man of Asia", and is known for his work in the field of wildlife healthcare, management and conservation.

(Source: Twitter @rashtrapatibhvn, @PIBHomeAffairs)
Attached Thumbnails
Padma Awards - Finding real gems across India-kks2.jpg  

Padma Awards - Finding real gems across India-kks1.jpg  

Last edited by airbus : 10th November 2021 at 22:32. Reason: Added source.
airbus is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 08:19   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Padma Awards - Finding real gems across India

Great thread, thanks for sharing!

Just a gentle reminder of our rules = no discussion on politics or politicians please. Any member who does will be banned from posting on this thread.

Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 09:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER-ARROW View Post
Would also include jaswantiben jamnadas popat a symbol of women empowerment, founder of Lijjat papad due to her more than 45k women are self-reliant and earning
Interested to know how they grew? Their history is absolutely interesting, watch more here & best part? Very interesting business lessons to be learnt as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just a gentle reminder of our rules = no discussion on politics or politicians please. Any member who does will be banned from posting on this thread.
Noted Sir

Last edited by aargee : 11th November 2021 at 09:36.
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 10:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

We hear lot of undeserving candidates getting these awards and it is good to hear the details of deserving winners like these. Thanks for this thread!

On a side note, there is a nice movie in Malayalam which touch up on this Padma award topic "Pranchiyettan & the Saint"
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 11:20   #28
BHPian

It is heartening to see common people getting such prestigious awards. Gives a nudge to everyone to do something more than to just exist. Having said that the noise has been too much about the awards. Targeted social media promotions of regular functioning of the government has been too much in recent days. Point to ponder is to read over the list of Padma awardees from 2004 to 2014 and find out how many could have been political awards, before going gaga with the neutrality of the current dispensation.
aadya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 21:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Nice to know that common people who made a difference have been acknowledged. Thanks for sharing.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 09:04   #30
BHPian

Truly inspirational. Shows that anyone can start (small or big) and make a big positive difference to this world.

Most of them may not even be aware of these awards till they received them. They contributed with no expectations of awards or rewards. That is exceptional.
raghukodali is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks