Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2022, 15:15   #1
Team-BHP Support

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project

Thanks to Sujay Shah for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
I would like to share a bit about my nephew Aashman Shah's school project wherein he has made a Formula 1 car model single-handedly entirely from cardboard boxes, with the other members of the forum.

Description:

Who would have thought of such a dramatic ending to the ever so exciting 2021 season of Formula 1? This season has ensured that the new fans that are born will continue to follow the sport for a long time. The same happened in our family as well. Little did I know that the genesis of which had been such.

So, I have been a car aficionado literally since I learned to walk - collecting World Car Books to hundreds of Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars to scale models to what not. Formula 1 came early into my like - right from my school days. My earliest recollection of Formula 1 was from the Senna-Prost era. However, it was not with the same craze that I had during the Schumacher-Hakkinen period and then, there has been no looking back (except for the brief period when Vettel had been ruling).

So things moved on and come 2016, I became a proud father of a beautiful little princess. As my daughter started growing and we as parents started to recognize her interests and likings, one thing that came out was her liking for cars (this made me, even more, proud). She could recognize the car logos, draw cars and their logos, and all this at the age of 3-4 years.

Now there had always been an understanding between my wife and me that on race Sundays, if at all we go out, we should be back home before 6 pm. This often resulted in my daughter giving me company in watching F1 races. She started to take interest and would ask each and every detail - literally to the point wherein it would be difficult to listen to the race commentary let aside concentrate on the race. Next thing I knew she was turning into a fan herself eagerly waiting for race Sundays. Her admiration started with Lewis Hamilton, which somewhere at beginning of the 2021 season, suddenly turned towards Max (more so because Hamilton had a beard and Max did not) and there has been no looking back. I can without an exaggeration very well say she eats, sleeps, and cries Max! Oh and with the mid-season rivalry between Lewis and Max, it was becoming too hot to handle her with both of them having race collisions and penalties and what not.

So on one such race Sunday, we happened to go to my brother's place for dinner. Me being me, I had to watch the race with my daughter keeping a track of it every few minutes. This sparked curiosity about the sport in my nephew and niece as well. They started watching Drive to Survive on Netflix thereby digging deeper into their curiosity. During the same time my nephew had a school project to be done on anything of your own choice - you could learn baking, or you could write a book, or you could do coding - absolutely anything.

So, my 16-year-old F1 bug-bitten nephew decides to make a Formula 1 car model from nothing but cardboard boxes!

Below are some pictures of the project work that I would like to share showing the model-making process, work in progress (along with my 5-year-old sitting inside the car inspecting the details and also giving the victory wave), and the final ready model. Also included are some pictures of the project report explaining a bit about the project. Hope everyone enjoys it!

BTW, my wife too has become a fan now (thanks to my little one) and follows every race along with all developments in Formula 1. My race Sundays are sorted!
16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-final-2.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-final-3.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-final-5.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-final-6.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-final-8.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-final-11.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-final-12.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-making-1.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-making-2.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-making-3.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-making-4.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-making-5.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-making-6.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-making-7.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-making-9.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-making-12.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-making-14.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-making-15.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-making-17.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-rep3.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-rep4.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-rep5.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-rep6.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-rep7.jpg

16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project-rep8.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 4th January 2022 at 15:52.
Aditya is offline   (138) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 16:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project

Man, that does look good

Thanks for sharing it.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 20:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 16-year old makes Formula 1 car model out of cardboard boxes for school project

Beautiful, that is very well done, do pass our best wishes to the curious and creative mind!
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 20:25   #4
BHPian

Extremely creative! This kid will definitely find his calling in Vehicular dynamics.
adityasatish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 21:56   #5
BHPian

Brilliant stuff, the kid must be immensely proud of himself. Red bull should definitely feature him and his RB16B replica on their page.
MotoBlip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 13:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

This makes me so happy on multiple levels. Your passion has clearly percolated through to your family, which is awesome. Your nephew has clearly put a lot of effort into his project, and has learnt many valuable lessons - like measure twice, cut once! I can also assure you that he is already more adept with craftsmanship than most engineering graduates, something that will prove invaluable in the real engineering world.
v1p3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 22:46   #7

I would have not thought of a more awesome way to start my journey on this wonderful forum than by sharing a family tale on a subject that is close to almost all of us.

A very big thank you to the moderators for sharing the story on the forum that was sent via the share link as I was not yet a member then (but still wanted to share it on Team-BHP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
This makes me so happy on multiple levels. Your passion has clearly percolated through to your family, which is awesome. Your nephew has clearly put a lot of effort into his project, and has learnt many valuable lessons - like measure twice, cut once! I can also assure you that he is already more adept with craftsmanship than most engineering graduates, something that will prove invaluable in the real engineering world.
Thank you so much for your kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
Brilliant stuff, the kid must be immensely proud of himself. Red bull should definitely feature him and his RB16B replica on their page.
let's hope Red Bull Racing is listening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Beautiful, that is very well done, do pass our best wishes to the curious and creative mind!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasatish View Post
Extremely creative! This kid will definitely find his calling in Vehicular dynamics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Man, that does look good

Thanks for sharing it.

Thank you all once again - all the appreciation would surely do a world of good to the kiddo!
BoxBox is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 08:58   #8
BHPian

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful work of art.

The work in progress shots make it all the more real while the observations recorded show the fantastic thought process of the young F1 fan.

This is how school projects should be. Exciting enough to spark the kids' passion while covering important practical learnings.

I loved the attention to detail all over, including the wheel logo on every page of the report. Great job all around!
FloatingCanvas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 09:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Wow, really well made and kudos to his efforts.

He has replicated the car in good detail and I am sure he will be a star in the school when everyone submits the project work.

Loved reading the notes and the WIP pictures. Do let him know our appreciation and well wishes for a bright future.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 10:01   #10
BHPian

This is brilliant from a teenager. He has a long way to go. BTW that is a great art piece to have in the lobby!
BHPjunkie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 10:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nicely done indeed. One need lot of patience along with eye for details while executing such 'projects'.

Refreshed my memories as a school going kid when I used to make 'model' cars, buildings, towns, furniture etc. out of playing cards
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 10:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Amazing! I am sure this is make it's way to Mr. Anand Mahindra's Twitter posts
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 12:09   #13
BHPian

That's some patient work for a 14 year old! In today's scene of kids glued to their mobiles, a kid going places to bulid his own model is something to be highly appreciated about! A huge congrats to Aashman Shah and his family members for supporting his ordeal. Hopefully he continues to build more models and does aspire to be a automobile designer.

P.S. Honda fanboy spotted!
And the foot note about Hot Glue!
Aravind_M92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 12:27   #14
BHPian

Wow, that's a cool project. Very nicely executed and detailed. Congrats to Aashman. Keep it up. Also do post and tag this project work on Honda and Red Bull official pages.
aneesh2M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 13:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

We are looking at future Pratap Böse’ in the making! Man that’s been crafted with so much precision. That kid has a long way to go!

Besides, he deserves to be on this forum as a BHPIAN indeed! Please ask the kid to apply or our mods can make an exception by encouraging that young brilliant talent to be on this forum
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks