Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2022, 16:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Installed - A container home at my farm

Thread moved to the Shifting Gears section. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by GTO : 7th January 2022 at 08:11.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 09:40   #17
BHPian

This is so perfect. I’ve a plot in yercaud which I’ve been contemplating to develop into a small farm. But I wanted to set up a small structure there but have been worried about having to supervise the work because I don’t live anywhere close.

This is so perfect.

How much do you reckon an equivalent brick and mortar would’ve costed
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 10:25   #18
BHPian

Looks very cool and neatly done.
TJ02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 10:27   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

@graaja - the problem of good labour for a concrete structure will be there even if the place was not too far from the city. Alternately, if one wants to transport the workers daily, that is an additional expense and time. Work gets affected even this way.

I think you got lucky with this one w.r.t price. However, at the same price (non-discounted), one could get a larger concrete structure, if one is willing to put in the effort and is able to catch hold of required people resources. Cement etc - the shops will deliver to site. But people is the big question.
condor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 11:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

As per the prevailing costs of Kerala (higher than most of the rest of India, especially labour), building a proper concrete structure will not make sense if the intended Sq.ft is less than 750-800. The cost difference between a 555 sq.ft house and an 800 sq.ft one is not substantial. The reason being, many jobs of a mason+helper pair would be over by 2.30 - 3pm for the smaller house, and they will collect a full-day's wages.

A luxury 750 sq.ft terraced cottage can be built for 15 L but it will take a full year, and we won't be discussing it here either.

Bold initiative, Mr. Raja
sandeepmdas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 11:32   #21
BHPian

This is cool! Does the price you mentioned earlier in the thread include the interior fitout as well and does the manufacturer allow for customization of the interior, tile colour etc? As an architect, I believe time saved at site is the biggest benefit here, particularly in remote areas where site execution is nightmarish.
Could you share the manufacturer's contact on PM?
Uthappa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 11:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nice farm house, Graaja!
Here is the farm house my Dad started to build in Nov 2019 and completed in Aug 2020, near Yelahanka, Bangalore. It was a tough task to complete the construction during the first lockdown, due to labour movement issues and rising cost of materials. At the end, it was worth the effort.

I work for IT and work from here daily. Also this is the home for Classic cars and scooter.
Installed - A container home at my farm-fb_img_1641535607449.jpg

Rose garden, Dad's pet project again!
Installed - A container home at my farm-fb_img_1641536195194.jpg
arun1100 is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 12:16   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

@graaja sir! First the fitness thread when I needed some advice on getting fitter and now with this thread when I was wondering how to get something small put up quickly on some family plot far away from the city. I should just make you my life coach!

But thanks for starting this thread. Hope it grows with more people's experiences being recorded.

Been getting pestered by the family to "build something" on a plot of land that's been in the family for over 30 years. I'm reluctant to sink money from my savings and more importantly, time and effort in to that project because I know for sure that no one will end up spending any significant amount of time there. More than the money, I'm absolutely against the hassle of driving 70km one way at least a few times a week to supervise construction that will take at least a year I'm sure! Pretty sure we're just going to end up selling that land in 10 or 15 years so why sink time and money in to a structure that will not retain much value.

So far covid has been the perfect reason not to start the project. Hopefully once the pressure to "do something" begins again in a year, I'll know enough to opt for this container home as an option. Even if it does end up costing a bit more, at least I'll be saved the massive supervisory time and hassle!

Last edited by am1m : 7th January 2022 at 12:20.
am1m is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 12:56   #24
BHPian

Awesome idea. I've contemplated setting up a small one on my terrace as a work area, but haven't gotten anywhere with it. If I decide to go ahead, will surely check with your supplier. Thanks!
npal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 13:18   #25
BHPian

That look fantastic! What a place to spend weekends and breath O2, just by looking at pics it virtually took me at the spot love to spend sometime someday at such setup's.
nitin_knw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 15:25   #26
BHPian

Wow ! the interior finishing looks way better than what regular houses have. Just curious, wouldn't a regular brick and cement house cost less? A cousin of mine built a bungalow recently on his farm near Shirdi that cost him 12 lacs with a carpet area of 1300 sq ft. I am absolutely fascinated with what you have built. Does that company have any website? Do they have cheaper options?

Once again congratulations and looking forward to many more pics of the events that take place there.
Dieselritzer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 16:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
One of my childhood dreams was to live in a small farm with a farm house. Have been working on the farm the past 6 months. What was missing was a place to stay. Installed a container based house in the farm last weekend. Made by Techno-Cap a container home manufacturer based in Coimbatore. They did a fantastic job with the finish and quality. The house was completely fabricated at their factory including interiors, and was shipped in three trailers - bottom part, top part and the deck. It was then assembled on site and finished in two days. As there is no grid power on site, I have installed a small 300W solar power setup. Planning to get grid supply in the coming months. Had to rent a generator for three days for the assembly work that required lots of welding.
Absolutely loved it. I couldn't help but notice the SuperFan. Really like the custom colour options they now offer. When I got mine back in '12 they didn't have any. Been having 2 since last decade now. Love em, love the BLDC tech and love the savings they give. Been trying Atomberg of late. They seem good too. Fellow fan cheers matey!

Last edited by Eddy : 7th January 2022 at 16:52. Reason: Shortened the quoted portion for better readability
coolmel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 17:43   #28
BHPian

Wow what a house and it seems for small family, it could be made as a full house also. This is a great saving idea and many thanks for sharing. You could add on for renting also ( on personal note ). Kindly post review after experiencing hot summer , rains etc.
sukhbirST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 17:50   #29
Team-BHP Support

What are the legal aspects of such a house? For a concrete building, you need to get building permit after submitting the blueprint, and OC after the construction. Finally there is the katha.
Samurai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 20:13   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Everyone has a dream house in their mind & you have built it! Congrats.
The end result is just fantastic.
I can't see an A/C unit, I guess you can easily install a 1/1.5 ton split A/C easily. They must have given that provision.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks