Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2020, 11:08   #1
Team-BHP Support

Installed - A container home at my farm

One of my childhood dreams was to live in a small farm with a farm house. Have been working on the farm the past 6 months. What was missing was a place to stay. Installed a container based house in the farm last weekend. Made by Techno-Cap a container home manufacturer based in Coimbatore. They did a fantastic job with the finish and quality. The house was completely fabricated at their factory including interiors, and was shipped in three trailers - bottom part, top part and the deck. It was then assembled on site and finished in two days. As there is no grid power on site, I have installed a small 300W solar power setup. Planning to get grid supply in the coming months. Had to rent a generator for three days for the assembly work that required lots of welding.

The main structure measures just 20'x12' with compact rooms. Due to wide angle shots, interiors may look spacious. So, "objects in pictures are smaller than what they look"

Did a simple family-only house warming on Wednesday and had a camp fire the first night of stay.

A few pictures of the installation.

The house arrives on site in trailers.
Installed - A container home at my farm-trailer.jpg

Bottom part being installed.
Installed - A container home at my farm-bottom-part.jpg

Top part being assembled.
Installed - A container home at my farm-top-part.jpg

Deck being assembled.
Installed - A container home at my farm-deck.jpg

Work in progress picture
Installed - A container home at my farm-work-progress.jpg

Installation completed.
Installed - A container home at my farm-install-complete.jpg

Some exterior pictures.
Installed - A container home at my farm-exterior-1.jpg

Installed - A container home at my farm-exterior-2.jpg

Some interior pictures.
The hall/kitchen
Installed - A container home at my farm-kitchen.jpg

The kitchen opens to a view of the farm. Once the trees around the house grow, this view may be blocked.
Installed - A container home at my farm-kitchen-view.jpg

The compact bedroom.
Installed - A container home at my farm-bed-room.jpg

The compact bath.
Installed - A container home at my farm-bath.jpg

A stowable ladder to access the loft. When not needed, the ladder collapses and gets stowed above.
Installed - A container home at my farm-loft-access.jpg

The loft space. Enough for 4 to 5 persons to sleep.
Installed - A container home at my farm-loft.jpg

Camp fire.
Installed - A container home at my farm-camp-fire-1.jpg

Installed - A container home at my farm-camp-fire-2.jpg

Now planning to spend most of the weekends developing the farm.
graaja is offline   (331) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 11:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
One of my childhood dreams was to live in a small farm with a farm house.
Absolutely lovely. It looks like such a nice, cozy place to go to every now and then!

What's the compelling reason you chose this over a brick and mortar construction? The container finishing looks terrific, didn't know this has become an established thing in India; abroad, containers are a very common and acceptable permanent homes. What about the heat though; these things must be getting really cooked in the summers. I assume rust in the monsoon is not a short/medium term worry?

First Dhanush and now you. Much inspiring! I hope to have a place by the shore in Konkan (not realistic), but close to the beach (possible) sometime in this lifetime.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th January 2022 at 20:34.
libranof1987 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 12:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Now for Graaja and Dhanushs to critique each others get away from it all boltholes!

Sutripta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 12:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Now planning to spend most of the weekends developing the farm.
Amazing. How Earth/eco friendly is this? I mean from a living inside perspective not from a renewables perspective.

Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 12:59   #5
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One of my childhood dreams was to live in a small farm with a farm house.
Congratulations graaja
Wow, that is something looks beautiful!

Back in 2005, a friend and I would often discuss floor plans for a small family's house and we both had this idea of a container home and did lot of reading about them and made some sketches on the whiteboard often. This was something we considered would be fun for a DIY retirement home/weekend getaway. What you have here is a much more sophisticated version of what we thought of back then.

Would you mind sharing the total cost incurred ? Pm will do as well.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th January 2022 at 20:37.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 13:12   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

That’s beautiful Graaja!

This looks so cozy and inviting-pun intended!
How will it fare in south India summers?

Last edited by Aditya : 7th January 2022 at 20:38.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 14:08   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One of my childhood dreams was to live in a small farm with a farm house. Have been working on the farm the past 6 months. .
And if I may ask, how much would such a set up cost? for my bucket list.

Jaggu is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 16:02   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Installed a container based house in the farm last weekend.
Awesome!

One of the coolest container homes I've seen, and most definitely the most "house-like" one.

I always wonder: Doesn't the metal get blazing hot in the sun and then continue to radiate heat for the rest of the day?

Rehaan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 16:03   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Back in February (thank goodness we got a holiday trip in then!) we visited an ex-colleague of my wife who has an organic farm setup near Theni. His core-business business is wind-farming but he takes his farm farm very seriously too. He has built himself a modest house there. Was lucky enough to get stuck there rather than the city, when lockdown came.

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 17:18   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Absolutely lovely. It looks like such a nice, cozy place to go to every now and then!

What's the compelling reason you chose this over a brick and mortar construction? The container finishing looks terrific, didn't know this has become an established thing in India; abroad, containers are a very common and acceptable permanent homes.

First Dhanush and now you. Much inspiring! I hope to have a place by the shore in Konkan (not realistic), but close to the beach (possible) sometime in this lifetime.
Thank you for the kind words

The main reason for choosing this option over normal brick and mortar construction is the time taken and the effort. With a concrete structure, it would have taken a year to get it completed. This one took just 4 months (excluding the two months of lockdown). With brick structure, I would have spent a lot of time managing the mason, work force etc. (due to the distance from city, good engineers were not willing to take the project). With the container house, except for a few visits to the factory to check progress and provide inputs on my requirement, and being there at site for the two days of installation, I did not have to spend any time following up.

Wishing you all the best for you to fulfill your dream of having a place near the beach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Now for Graaja and Dhanushs to critique each others get away from it all boltholes!
Dhanush is totally a different level. I stand no chance. He built, I bought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Amazing. How Earth/eco friendly is this? I mean from a living inside perspective not from a renewables perspective.
Thank you

Though I did not order this from an Eco-friendly perspective, there are some good eco-friendly features. The container itself is recycled material. These are containers that are scrapped as unusable in shipping, but have decades of life left. Also, though the inside looks modern, everything is minimalistic. Water and electricity consumption is minimum, I have constructed the soak pit such that the waste water will be used by a few trees that are planted around the soak pit etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Congratulations graaja

Back in 2005, a friend and I would often discuss floor plans for a small family's house and we both had this idea of a container home and did lot of reading about them and made some sketches on the whiteboard often. This was something we considered would be fun for a DIY retirement home/weekend getaway. What you have here is a much more sophisticated version of what we thought of back then
Thank you for the kind words! I hope you have kept your dream alive and will fulfil it some day, and my best wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
That’s beautiful Graaja!
Thank you so much for the kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Another Gem for public thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Awesome!
One of the coolest container homes I've seen, and most definitely the most "house-like" one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Back in February (thank goodness we got a holiday trip in then!) we visited an ex-colleague of my wife who has an organic farm setup near Theni. His core-business business is wind-farming but he takes his farm farm very seriously too. He has built himself a modest house there. Was lucky enough to get stuck there rather than the city, when lockdown came.
That is really awesome! After the house warming, we stayed at the farm for two days and the totally laid back life was just a different experience. And BTW, Theni is my place of birth as well, though I moved out 25 years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
What about the heat though; these things must be getting really cooked in the summers. I assume rust in the monsoon is not a short/medium term worry?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
How will it fare in south India summers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I always wonder: Doesn't the metal get blazing hot in the sun and then continue to radiate heat for the rest of the day?
There is a thick layer of insulation using PUF material and then a cement sheet which makes the wall. So, there is very good heat insulation. The temperature inside is quite close to what you would experience inside a concrete building. Also, the steel sheet that is used to make the container is quite thick and even if the surface gets rusted, the container would last decades. And they apply multiple layers of primer and paint. With all these treatment, theoretically, the container should last my lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Would you mind sharing the total cost incurred ? Pm will do as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
And if i may ask, how much would such a set up cost? for my bucket list
The container house itself cost me 12.5L including interiors. This was at a discounted price. The regular price would have been about 15L. I had to spend another 2.5L for constructing the pillars, solar setup, plumbing, transportation etc.

graaja is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 17:29   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is really awesome! After the house warming, we stayed at the farm for two days and the totally laid back life was just a different experience. And BTW, Theni is my place of birth as well, though I moved out 25 years back.
We overnighted in Theni. His farm is at Thevaram. We were on the way to spend a few days at Meghamalai.

His farm was a lovely place, with awesome views.

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 18:34   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Made by Techno-Cap a container home manufacturer based in Coimbatore. They did a fantastic job with the finish and quality. The house was completely fabricated at their factory including interiors, and was shipped in three trailers - bottom part, top part and the deck. .
This is just perfect, instead of building one and spending more money for a lesser finish, though larger space.

Loved it, especially how the interiors are done up.

If you dont mind, please do share the cost.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th January 2022 at 20:36.
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 18:40   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
This is just perfect, instead of building one and spending more money for a lesser finish, though larger space.

Loved it, especially how the interiors are done up.

If you dont mind, please do share the cost.
Thank you Dhanush 😊

The house cost 12.5L including tax. Spent another 2.5L for pillars, plumbing, solar and transportation etc.

graaja is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 19:08   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Dhanush 😊

The house cost 12.5L including tax. Spent another 2.5L for pillars, plumbing, solar and transportation etc.
Thanks for sharing!

How many sq feet? Also, I think the best part about it is if you need to change it to some other place you can do it without much fuss?

Also, may I ask, what was the intent behind getting a ready made 'movable(?)' house in the farm, instead of a regular one, or rather one with truss work and cement board walls, and may be false roofing.

dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 19:37   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
How many sq feet? Also, I think the best part about it is if you need to change it to some other place you can do it without much fuss?

Also, may I ask, what was the intent behind getting a ready made 'movable(?)' house in the farm, instead of a regular one, or rather one with truss work and cement board walls, and may be false roofing.
Total area is about 550 sq.ft including the loft and deck area.

Yes. If needed, it can be dismantled and transported to another location if needed. But for the amount of work involved in assembling the two layers, I doubt if I would ever plan to move this I would probably order a new one with a different design.

Many reasons for choosing this over concrete based structure.

Concrete based structure would have required lots of time from me in arranging work force, managing them, buying raw materials etc. As my farm is far from the city, I could not get any good engineer to own the project. Only option would be to hire local work force. I would have been confined to an asylum by them time the house was completed

Also, it would have taken 8 months to a year to finish a good concrete structure. This one took just 4 months to complete (excluding 2 months of lock down).

My friend had bought his container house from this manufacturer. I had visited their factory with him. Before I saw the designs at their factory, I was also thinking container houses are spartan and would be very hot in summer. But that opinion changed after this visit. I fell in love with the concept when I saw this structure at the manufacturer's place. He had started this as his dream project and for some reason, it had not taken off. He had completed the main structure and had kept it aside for three years. He offered me a very good price and I placed the order within the week.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th January 2022 at 20:35.
graaja is offline   (35) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks