Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2023, 21:37   #61
BHPian

Re: My negative experience with a water softener for the entire house

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
I looked up a little more this DCAL. What it avoids is only scaling of water, not to bring down the TDS levels.

But I am not sure if scaling and high TDS levels are inter related. Is it so?

Did you check the TDS levels of your raw water and after DCAL immersed water?
Yes you are right DCal reduces the effect of the hardness producing compounds such that they do not deposit on pipes/ heated surfaces and pass through with water, thus there is no scaling.

TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) and Hardness are related, higher the TDS higher is the Hardness. As per IS 10500 standard for Drinking water, TDS levels of 500 mg/l are desirable and upto 2000 are permitted, similarly the limits for Hardness are 300 desirable and 600 permitted.

The only way to reduce/remove TDS is by Reverse Osmosis, Distillation and De-ionisation are some other, but viable for only industrial or medical purposes.

You can get the water tested and see how it compares with IS: 10500, if it does not have any other contaminants and the TDS is not very high, DCal should solve the problem of scaling and other problems associated with hard water in domestic use.
sudhirjaipur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 13:22   #62
BHPian

I'm looking for a water softener for my flat in Bangalore.

Most of the bathroom resin/salt based softeners seem to be in the range of ~ 12k for manual regen, and ~ 22k for automatic regen. This is including installation, plumbing material if any would be extra.
So far, I've reached out to companies EcoWell, Abisol Aqua and few others.

Another company I reached it to installs some magnetic/alloy type conditioner which they claim to reduce staining and hairfall etc. They gave a demo, but honestly I didn't find much of a difference before and after. Price is around 6k per unit incl installation.

Is the resin based solution the best in this price range? 3M Automatic system is some 1.3-1.4L, out of my budget, and I don't think the plumbing system in my flat will support a common unit for the whole flat.

For those using an automatic resin based system, how difficult is it to manage? Do I just have to re-fill the salt every 1-2 weeks and the system will do what it needs to?
Old 15th January 2024, 13:04   #63
BHPian

I would recommend DCal (www.dcal.co.in) as the best and economical product for your case. Please see my previous posts on this thread on this subject. Ion Exchange type softeners are not required if otherwise water is okay and only hardness is the problem. Cheers
Old 21st January 2024, 12:35   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirjaipur View Post
I would recommend DCal (www.dcal.co.in) as the best and economical product for your case. Please see my previous posts on this thread on this subject. Ion Exchange type softeners are not required if otherwise water is okay and only hardness is the problem. Cheers
Thanks, yes I did see the earlier posts recommending DCal, however this is in an apartment society with 150 flats, so I don't think its something that I can do on my own as the overhead water tank is shared. I guess I will need the consent of at least the residents of my block and of course the sharing of expenses.

Their website seem to mention about a solution for apartment complexes as well, I have reached out to them to understand the costs.
Old 21st January 2024, 13:13   #65
BHPian

In that case you can also consider this product from 3M

It would be good to find out the hardness of incoming water to your flat, the above works well when the hardness is below 200/300 ppm.

Alternatively the society maintenance team could consider a central system where a magnetic/electrical conditioner could be installed before the overhead tank.
Old 5th April 2024, 12:23   #66
BHPian

Folks, Any inputs on the Enviro water softener? It doesn't require electricity, maintenance which looks like a good option. I was informed the lifetime of the unit is 15 - 20 years.

Planning to install the same as I am not a fan of traditional water softeners occupying large space and requires lot of maintenance. If the Enviro water softener can achieve at least 70% of the traditional ones, I am completely okay with it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 7th April 2024, 16:09   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu789 View Post
Folks, Any inputs on the Enviro water softener? It doesn't require electricity, maintenance which looks like a good option. I was informed the lifetime of the unit is 15 - 20 years.

Planning to install the same as I am not a fan of traditional water softeners occupying large space and requires lot of maintenance. If the Enviro water softener can achieve at least 70% of the traditional ones, I am completely okay with it.

Thanks in advance.
What is the problem you are facing with the water at present, have you got the water tested?
Old 8th April 2024, 11:20   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirjaipur View Post
What is the problem you are facing with the water at present, have you got the water tested?
Sudhir, Please find the water test results below

TDS : 450 ppm
Hardness : 375 ppm
Turbidity : 5 ntu
Calcium: 80 ( above normal scale)
Magnesium: 45 (above normal scale )
Iron : 0.03
Bacteria: present

The main issue is that water contains nice white sand like powder and its deposited on the bathroom floor tiles.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th April 2024 at 11:45. Reason: Typos.
Old 8th April 2024, 11:41   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu789 View Post

The main issue is that water contains nice white sand like powder and its deposited on the bathroom floor tiles.
You need a pre-filter and a filter to trap the white sand particles irrespective of whether you use softner or not.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks