Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2022, 16:08   #61
BHPian

re: Investing in Real Estate vs Stock Market / Mutual Funds

There is a thumb rule one must always keep in mind with any investment.

Safety, Return & Liquidity.

In any investment, you can have any two. Not all three

While Stocks give you good returns and are liquid, they are not considered safe.

Bond, Real Estate and FD are safe and give returns, but they are not liquid.

Also remember --

Return of the Capital is more important than Return on the Capital.
fache89 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 18:06   #62
BHPian

There cannot be a generic formula in deciding something like this.

The scenarios and investments depend on many factors like current situation, income, committment, existing investments, risk appetite, future plan and many other factors.

So, there is nothing that one size fits all.

Many have made millions in real estate and share markets and similiarly many have gone bankrupt too.

My 2 cents here -

- Current share market is highly overpriced, so wait for correction or another opportunity.
The extremely high valuations does not make any sense to invest. For very long term you can buy blue chip companies.

- Do not put everything in shares, balance it out with real estate, gold and fixed deposits.

- Real estate is good hedge against inflation, and prices are only going to increase. Even a depreciating expense like Cars costs have increased drastically, who imagined getting returns from a car.
I will give you an example where I went to buy a plot, now after 2 years it is still unsold but prices have shot up by a whopping 50%, so now I cannot buy it anymore.

- Inflation is not rightly shared by government, the current number is too high (above 12%) and it was shooting with fuel prices rising every day, see the price of dal, gas, petrol, cooking oil which all have more than doubled in last 2 years. Same is the case of freight, cement, services, steel.

- Current interest rates have been kept artificially low imaging interest rate on loan is 7% but inflation over 12%.
If you are in reverse scenario and putting 1 crore in FD, you will get 5 lacs as interest (nett 4 lacs after taxes), but value of this 1.05 crore will not be even 95 lacs, effectively giving negative returns after inflation adjustment.

Now you can take a call for yourself.

Ideal would be to keep 30% real estate 30% shares 30% nps ppf fds and 10% gold.

Try bringing the EMI close to one third of your savings and you can take the plunge.
If the EMI is lessened by making more down payment than it would be a good idea.

Last edited by xway : 26th January 2022 at 18:10. Reason: inflation data added
xway is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 19:24   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO, the very lack of liquidity in real estate investment is its greatest strength. Mere mortals like me can not put money in stock market and wait for 30 years without "touching" it. Being active is a terrible thing and it is very difficult to be inactive when everything is a click of a button with so much dopamine rush. Even if I am inactive, there is always some higher purpose that forces me to cash my stock portfolio. I am not the type who would have a dreamless sleep knowing there is some 50L sitting in my demat account :-) Even if I have everything I need, I would find some friend or stranger who is in need.

This whole "demat" stuff is like metaverse to me. I am not the type to live in a studio apartment and enjoy my mobile app screen showing a thriving portfolio. There is a reason all our parents and grandparents loved real estate and jewellery - because you can actually enjoy them and pass on to the next generation who would be immensely thankful for the gesture. Maybe art, classic automobiles and other collectibles also qualify but real estate and jewellery is just everyday stuff. Unlike the metaverse of demat accounts - these things (house, farm, jewellery, art, cars) enhance life (not just your generation) in ways you can't possibly imagine.

Having said that, I detest the idea of owning a flat to rent. As others mentioned, the rental is pittance and requires lot of donkey work. So what do I suggest to the OP? Sell your flat and buy a bigger flat. If your flat is already big, sell it and buy an independent house. Enjoy your investment - even if the real estate crashes - you will still be living in a nice place and as long as you are living in it, the resale price is immaterial. If you don't want any bigger house, buy land somewhere safe. Farm in your native place, or plots in a safe project, etc. Grow vegetables or fruit trees - find ways to use the asset to enhance your life. You don't have to spend a minute or a rupee to maintain such investment. You don't even have to read newspaper. Just keep your sale deed safe and write a will :-)

Let us say you invested in stock market and wasted all your prime youth logging in everyday morning to check your metaverse balance. Assuming that wall street crooks left few small crumbs for retail investors and you made terrific money. Guess what you would want to do with it when you are 60? Yes, that's right. Build a big house and end up living without company because kids are grown up and you are not that fun to hang out with.

What about liquidity in case of emergency? The size of your emergency will be proportional to the amount in your emergency fund. Just use common sense and pick any asset that doesn't demand too much time from life. Be an optimist. If all else fails, borrow from a friend who has mutual funds and don't return.

Alright that is an over exaggeration but many ordinary folks who severely overestimate their investing skills are better off investing in a decent house, career/own-business and family.

Last edited by androdev : 26th January 2022 at 19:27.
androdev is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 12:42   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I used to live in a rented house, I taught my landlord about stock market, now we both live in a rented house.
On a lighter note, just like this comment. When it comes to teaching and learning, it all depends on who is teaching what and who is learning how much.

real estate vs equity is a topic that can be debated till the cows come home. Not getting into that. Having interest/stake in both let me give my 2 cents here. Not sure if this opinion will help you to clear your thoughts or increase your confusion.
First, the return in real estate should be calculated as follows:
rental income + average annual appreciation of the property.
Now, let me add a new variable here if you are looking for investment in real estate.
Have you thought of a commercial property than residential?
Residential generally gives upto 3% rental income, but commercial upto 5% and if you are lucky even 6 - 7%.
Now advantages of commercial : Easy to manage, less maintenance cost per month (even if it is unoccupied). No expenditure on interiors so again nothing to get spoiled left unused. And probably you can look at 2 properties instead of 1 int eh budget you are looking at giving you diversification.
Disadvantage: No tax benefit. And in present scenario, less demand for commercial rental.

2 pieces of advise : Prefer a completed project and see if the loan amount can be minimal. both these factors makes sure you get more return for your investment irrespective of what kind of property you choose.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Last edited by ajmat : 30th January 2022 at 22:06.
Old 30th March 2022, 19:21   #65
BHPian

Re: Investing in Real Estate vs Stock Market / Mutual Funds

So Finally, we have decided to put the idea of a long-term investment in a Real Estate in a closet, atleast for the near foreseeable future.

We did churn numbers to the extent that we feel we're Vedic Mathematics' gurus , and yes, did not want to risk the next 10 years by potentially screwing up cash flows to own something which may not appreciate much. Mutual Funds + existing Insurance Policies + Gold seems to be the most apt investment basket, atleast for me.

For now, the idea is off the table, and at the moment, enjoying parenthood to a baby boy we welcomed on 7th March, '22

A token of thanks to all those who have made the decision making easier by advising from their own experience and highlighting current market trends. Appreciated !
jigar1791@gmail is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks