Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2007, 22:32   #1
BHPian

Domestic Airtravel question - Baggage Weight Limit?

I have a sis coming from Canada. She's carrying two bags of 50pounds Each. But heard domestic flights wont allow her this much.

She will be getting off at Chennai. Then has to go to Mumbai. Then take a flight from Pune to New Delhi.

I need to ask what is the weight limit on domestic flights and is there any provision to carry extra luggage? If yes, then how much typically are extra charges?

And which flight carriers are good?
I mean Pros and Cons of each?
Old 3rd June 2007, 22:45   #2
BANNED

Domestic carriers do allow about 20kgs to be carried without any costs and some carriers offer 30kgs. Yes, Extra weight will be charged but it also depends how you can speak your way out of it.

But how much kilos is a pound??
Old 3rd June 2007, 22:53   #3
BHPian

50 pounds is roughly 23kgs, me thinks....
Old 3rd June 2007, 22:55   #4
Team-BHP Support

wouldn't it be a better idea to contact the carriers themselves regarding weight restrictions?
check out their websites where you'll get more up-to-date information on your query. they also have contact numbers for your type of inquiries.
Old 3rd June 2007, 23:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
I need to ask what is the weight limit on domestic flights and is there any provision to carry extra luggage? If yes, then how much typically are extra charges?
If she is going back to Canada as well and all parts of her tickets are booked together (along with her international ticket), then the travel within India has the same luggage limits. At least Jet Airways used to honor this. It might be good to check this up with a travel agent as well.
Old 4th June 2007, 00:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

As far as i know they will allow 20kg per person, and i likes the service of jet airways and kingfisher.
Old 4th June 2007, 00:09   #7
Team-BHP Support

Air deccan charges something like 50Rs/kg(2 years ago). If she is coming by jet expect to pay around 2500 extra.
Old 4th June 2007, 00:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

This Jan i was charged Rs 70 per kilo by Jet Airways.
Old 4th June 2007, 00:27   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello hello, looks like my field of expertise.

Why is your sister doing this incredible journey? From canada to MAA, then MAA to BOM, BOM to PNQ and PNQ to DEL? I suppose there's a good reason.

If she wasn't doing this, as someone mentioned, you buy a ticket to DEL on the same airline from Canada. Often the cost is minimal and the same luggage rules apply right to the destination.

Indian Airlines offers 30Kg per passenger and a few smiles will get 35, even 40 Kgs through. All other regular airlines allow 20Kgs (Jet, Kingfisher, sahara)
Most eco-airlines (air deccan etc) allow only 15 Kgs.

Almost all airlines will charge you between 65 to 80 rupees per extra kilo.

From what you say, her total luggage is 46 kilos. Indian airlines seems to be the best option.
One easy way (since she's a lady) is to smile at a person with little or no luggage, chat him/her up and request to check it in on his/her ticket. I do this all the time. The other is to get 30Kgs on indian airlines standard. Smile your way out of 5 more and pay for 8.
Old 4th June 2007, 00:45   #10
BHPian

if she does not have any business in chennai, mumbai or pune. why not book tickets straight to delhi. i travel from montreal, canada too and im pretty sure all airlines that fly to chennai also goto delhi direct.
if not smiling your way thru as Sam suggested works, even easier for a girl IMO.
Old 4th June 2007, 15:53   #11
BHPian

Ok, as far as i know, if the bookings are done together as part of an itenerary(hope the spelling is ok), then there are no charges.
you have an enhanced baggage limit, since you are traveling international.
I have gone through this every time i traveled abroad (US/Europe).
But then all the tickets should be booked together(one agent all tickets listed as part of the travel plan printout), and not seperately (ie land in chennai buy tickets for mumbai, land in mumbai buy tickets for delhi.this will ensure that the traveler is charged. )
JetAirways honored me everytime.

Last edited by babhishek : 4th June 2007 at 15:55.
Old 4th June 2007, 17:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Hello hello, looks like my field of expertise.

Why is your sister doing this incredible journey? From canada to MAA, then MAA to BOM, BOM to PNQ and PNQ to DEL? I suppose there's a good reason.

If she wasn't doing this, as someone mentioned, you buy a ticket to DEL on the same airline from Canada. Often the cost is minimal and the same luggage rules apply right to the destination.

Indian Airlines offers 30Kg per passenger and a few smiles will get 35, even 40 Kgs through. All other regular airlines allow 20Kgs (Jet, Kingfisher, sahara)
Most eco-airlines (air deccan etc) allow only 15 Kgs.

Almost all airlines will charge you between 65 to 80 rupees per extra kilo.

From what you say, her total luggage is 46 kilos. Indian airlines seems to be the best option.
One easy way (since she's a lady) is to smile at a person with little or no luggage, chat him/her up and request to check it in on his/her ticket. I do this all the time. The other is to get 30Kgs on indian airlines standard. Smile your way out of 5 more and pay for 8.
LOL here is the program then.
She's visiting India after 5 years to meet nears and dears and attend a friend's marriage.

and hence this India voyage. lol.

I also guiess its time to find a travel agent and ask questions.

BTW, Getting others to carry your luggage was a nice idea.
Old 5th June 2007, 15:03   #13
BHPian

King Fisher allows 25 kgs baggage. They charge arnd 50-60 Rs per Kg ofr 25+ kgs.
Old 5th June 2007, 17:06   #14
BHPian

Indian will charge you 103 Rs per Kilo.But you will have the option to talk yourself out of the situation.
Old 5th June 2007, 18:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Indian Airlines offers 30Kg per passenger and a few smiles will get 35, even 40 Kgs through.
Indian Airlines allows even 42Kgs( saying from my Experience) without any charge if you are coming from abroad and taking there domestic flights.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks