Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2022, 20:26   #16
BHPian

Re: Lata Mangeshkar - End of an era

Om Shanti! Heartbreaking to hear this! Glad she is not suffering anymore! We grew up listening to all her songs at home. My dad used to buy cassettes of Hindi movies and play them on our music system for years.
Old 6th February 2022, 20:43   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

A sad day for the nation and one more gem has become a memory. Indeed her vatan ke logon have aansu in their ankhen. But rahe na rahe aap, meheka karenge...
Happy to have lived in the same era!
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 22:00   #18
Team-BHP Support

Imagine a career spanning pretty much the length of time the country has been a sovereign nation!

Respect to the gifted lady, there probably won't be another quite like her, ever.

RIP.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 22:50   #19
BHPian

Om Shanti. A sad day for music lovers across the world.
She was a musical genius with perfect 'Swara' and 'Bhava'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
While we are all deeply sad, we should be happy to be alive in an era of this legend! I would urge members to post their thoughts on her favorite song/songs which would be the best way to remember her!
i
Difficult to pick a favorite but here is something different.

Latadidi acted in this old Marathi Song. She was also the singer. A song dedicated to Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.

She was also a great Composer of many Marathi songs. Her pseudonym was 'Anandghan (A cloud of Joy)'. Here is an all time classic sung and composed by Anandghan.

Finally, a beautiful tribute by Latadidi to singers of her generation - KL Siagal, Pankaj Mullick, Mohd. Rafi, Mukesh, Hemant Kumar, Kishore Kumar, Kanan Devi

Shradhanjali Vol 1 and Vol 2

C300 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 23:25   #20
BHPian

Om Shanti!

Age aside, Covid is a really terrible reason for death. May her soul rest in peace.

A career virtually spanning the entire journey of India since independence.

Learnt an interesting tidbit today:
Post the stupendous victory of Team India in the 1983 Cricket World Cup, the then BCCI President Mr. NKP Salve ecstatically declared a cash prize of 1 lakh for each player, not realizing that the cricket board did not even have 13 lakh in it's coffers back then. This is when the legendary Mr. Raj Singh Dungarpur made a phone call to Lata Mangeshkar and she wholeheartedly agreed for a fundraiser concert at the CCI in honour of our players.

The Mangeshkar family is part of a legendary cult and one of the only remaining gems of a bygone era. Not a day goes by without one coming across a Lata melody.

For me, "Lag ja gale" will always remain an eternal favourite.
IamNikhil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 09:37   #21
BHPian

Every time this BGM starts I get goosebumps, a rush of euphoria, and several inexplicable reactions! The only song I know in Tamil that the nightingale sang composed by the Maestro Ilayaraja:

veyron_head is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 09:42   #22
BHPian

Om Shanti ! A legacy in the true sense of the word. Farewell India's nightingale. You will be missed and remembered every time a Lata song plays.
'Lag jaa gale ....'
Old 7th February 2022, 10:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
Every time this BGM starts I get goosebumps, a rush of euphoria, and several inexplicable reactions! The only song I know in Tamil that the nightingale sang composed by the Maestro Ilayaraja:

https://Youtu.be/hDjDDkuSS80
SPB and Lata Mangeshkar created magic in this song. I was also under the impression that this was Lata's only song in Tamil . Turns out she has sung another song composed by Raja.

satishv1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 10:22   #24
BHPian

In my youth, I have attended numerous rock shows, where popular bands belted out popular numbers and flocks of attendees joined in the chorus and everyone had a nice time.

This is perhaps the only incident (that I know of at least), where everyone chimed into a Marathi song which every Maharashtrian knows by heart, led by none other than Lata Didi Herself.
(Song starts at 2:17)

ॐ शांती
ॐ सद्गती
🙏
RedTerrano is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 11:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
If I had to be partial to some of her songs, it would actually be her Marathi devotional abhangs , particularly of Sant Dnyaneshwar and Sant Tukaram. Because she took the divinity of her sur to another level.
I have heard, music/ sur is one of the ways to reach god. I feel it is true, when i listen to Lataji.
My heart melts everytime when hear the Meera Bhajan, 'Ramaya bin nind na ave'

We are blessed to have lived in her era.
Old 7th February 2022, 11:13   #26
BHPian

Really fortunate to have lived in Lata's times of singing. Our generation just knew her name as far as songs were concerned. I still remember the collections which were always there in any music shop. You just blindly bought them and the songs would be played again and again. I really don't think there will anybody even close to her in future. Immortal she as become in singing.
Old 7th February 2022, 11:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

My father was a huge fan of Lataji. A photo of her with her tanpura adorned our house for a very long time. This is how I got introduced to her beautiful voice. Her voice has mesmerized me ever since. Be it classical or contemporary songs, her range was amazing, and that coupled with her hold on the notes and emotion, it is a very rare combination. May her soul rest in peace. Her voice lives on!
Old 7th February 2022, 11:28   #28
BHPian

The nightingale who enthralled a nation. RIP. My favorite song :

The second lady singer after MSS to be awarded the Bharat Ratna and rightly so.

Name:  BxpQH6PCYAAg6H2.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  29.5 KB
srini1785 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 12:20   #29
BHPian

As very small kids, we grew up listening to Lataji's sings from Madhumati, Amrapali being played on gramophone records by our father. As high school kids, we hummed tracks from Muqaddar ka Sikandar, Ek Duje ke liye. Today my 10 year old daughter hums "Phoolon Ka Taron Ka". Lataji's voice was peerless; she transcended generations. RIP.
Old 7th February 2022, 12:29   #30
BHPian

Most of my childhood was me reluctantly listening to old songs that my mom enjoyed listening on the radio. Although not a connosieur of old songs, many of them have stayed with me because of how meaningful and musical they were. No doubt, many of them were Lata ji's songs.

I'm too unqualified and insignificant to comment on her greatness. Imagine making a mark in the day and age when women had it more difficult and then singing for movies, then a touching tribute to our soldiers in front of our first PM Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru and seeing India evolve as a nation till date. Very few can claim to have lived such an amazing life, filled with so many achievements and greatness. I'm just lucky to have been living in these times. Rest in peace Lata ji, you will always be alive through your melodious songs.
saleem_k is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks