Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2022, 13:34   #31
BHPian

Re: Lata Mangeshkar - End of an era

Just to give a perspective of how Lata Di has been an integral part of India.

Name:  WhatsAppImage20220207at11.11.38AM.jpeg
Views: 181
Size:  32.4 KB

You will be missed Nightingale!!
powertrain is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 14:30   #32
BHPian

Being a man, I'm(We're?) not supposed to cry and show our emotions. But deep down, I'm crying and recalling all the memories of my childhood - listening to hours and hours of Vividh Bharti and DD National programs like Rangoli/Chitrahaar, the cassette walkmans, CD players, MP3 payers, iPods and now YouTube etc.

She had been through generations together with us. Heck, even our fathers grew up listening to her too.

Thank you, Lata ji, for everything you've given us. Even though I could not meet or see you in this lifetime, it feels you were inside me through your voice. How I wanted to be in Mumbai yesterday, I can't tell.

As everyone says, it is impossible to pick one song of her which is our favorite. I'm leaving this here which I've listening since morning on loop:

"Chalti hoon main taaron par, fir kyu mujhko lagta hai dar".

Om Shaanti.

Last edited by amods : 7th February 2022 at 14:53.
amods is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 14:30   #33
BHPian

My retro playlist is dominated by Lata Ji's magicals for obvious reasons.
RIP.

Lata Mangeshkar - End of an era-591127cad4fe4224b86623c9a4891774.png
AjinkyaP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 16:19   #34
BHPian

'dil ki ae dhadkan theher-jaa, mil gayi manzil mujhe...'

She is immortal, her voice eternal !

rhsakarp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 17:31   #35
BHPian

She truly was the superlative of the Indian film industry. There was a different kind of melody or sweetness, perhaps I am not able to define it, in her voice even when she used to talk in say some interview or function.

The emotions, the feelings that she conveyed through her voice is something no one would ever be able to deliver. Ae Mere Watan Ke Logon can literally make you feel the life and sacrifice of soldiers, while Luka Chhupi can make you miss your mom even if she is in another room. And probably all her songs have that same emotional charisma.

There will never be another Lata Mangeshkar.

Om Shanti!
Old 7th February 2022, 21:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

I had scoured Coimbatore city in the 90s searching for a music shop that would get my favourite list of Lata songs recorded in a few 90 minute cassettes. And I was overjoyed when I found one shop in Oppanakara street. That became my favourite haunt for the four years I was there. I grew up on Lata songs and still live by Lata songs. The song I mentioned in my tribute in Suchitra Sen's thread is one of my favourte and is apt here too...

Rahen na rahen hum
mehka karenge
banke kali banke saba...
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 22:21   #37
BHPian

Passing of Lata Didi is tremendous loss to the music as well as every Indian loving music. Covid 19 has taken away most valuable gem from everyone's life. Listening to her majestic voice was sheer pleasure and satisfaction.

few incidences I have read and heard-

1. Didi bought her first radio set and played it with all excitement; first news she listened was passing of the great K. L. Saigal Saab. She threw the radio the next moment. K. L. Saigal saab was her Idol.

2. She is the only female singer in Indian music industry who has worked with most number of music directors.

3. She was hardcore cricket fan. Always keeping eye on scoreboard even if working anywhere. She was present to watch the 1983 Cricket match final between India & West Indies as she was already present in London to perform.

As mentioned earlier here, the players were planning to visit USA after the tournament had to suffer personal monitory loss as they won the world cup out of nothing. It was followed by request from Mr. Raj Singh Dungarpur to Lata Didi for a live program to gather funds and felicitate the winning team.

4. 1942-2009 might be easily the biggest carrier in Indian Film Industry. She had helped many to get into this industry.

5. She was determined to build a fully equipped hospital after her mother & father's name who had suffered a lot without proper treatment; funds were an issue. Here was a surprise. The billionaire of Muscat Mr. Saud Bahwan and lata didi were in a brother sister relation and she used to send silver Raakhi to him, (The Saud Bahwan empire is comparable to Tata empire). One call and the team received donations within 48 hours.
There is a separate floor ( top floor) of Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital in Pune named after the great Saud Bahwan.

6. All songs she sang were remembered by her thoroughly; still she used to refer notations. After being asked why; she answered- the song is actual creation of musician & lyricist. Singer transforms the feelings in the songs through his/her voice. I do not want to miss/left out with a single feeling of the song which are applied at the creation.

7. Being so famous and wealthy she opted for simplest of life styles. Always wore white saree. She used to sleep on a simple handmade cotton mattress (It was prepared by one of our friends in Pune.)

Also she was a very good cook.

8. Great Marathi author Shri P. L. Deshpande had said in one of his speeches about Didi as- perhaps this is the only thing/sound which we ask for more everyday last 25-30 years; or else every repeating thing in life we get bored off.

9. She literally cried when the filmfare award was nt given to Madan Mohan ji for film 'Woh Kaun Thi?' as she thought those were the best compositions and should have been awarded.

Such gems we always think and want to be immortal. Lata didi is already immortal with her lovely and touching songs for generations.

RIP Lata didi

Ishwar Aap Ke Atma Ko SAdgati De...

Last edited by Guru_Shikhar : 7th February 2022 at 22:24.
Guru_Shikhar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 22:40   #38
BHPian

Om Shanti! I don't know what to say, so many beautiful songs come to mind, when Lata Mangeshkar's name come to mind.

I have been looking for Video Recording of her first ever performance at Royal Albert hall, London (1974).
Does anyone know where I can find that?

Last edited by Eddy : 9th February 2022 at 01:39. Reason: Removed junk characters (non-forum smileys)
Old 8th February 2022, 05:50   #39
Team-BHP Support

Few things which I always thought will never change. While Lata gave immortals with all composers be it SD Burman (SD), Naushad, Shankar-Jaikishan (SJ) or others, but I always thought she reserved her best for Madan Mohan.

With SD and SJ she had some really beautiful classical raga based songs. Jaikishan in particular used her range to amazing Bhairavi (his favourite) and Darbari applications (Koi Matwala in Love in Tokyo).

All said and done, it was always Madan Mohan! Somehow and I really don't know why! Woh Koun Thi, Jahan Ara, Adalat, Dastak, Anpad etc etc

This one from Mera Saya remains one of the all time favourites.

Last edited by ampere : 8th February 2022 at 05:55.
ampere is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks