Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2022, 23:29   #91
BHPian

re: Impact of the Russia-Ukraine war

So glad to see people taking stand against the invaders ! Sebastian Vettle won't be racing at Russian Grand Prix ! Many such big figures need to stand up against the invasion that is going on. Saddened to see few posts here supporting the actions and suggesting India also do the same ! I wish you all peace and growth.
Akshay6988 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 23:51   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
So glad to see people taking stand against the invaders ! Sebastian Vettle won't be racing at Russian Grand Prix ! Many such big figures need to stand up against the invasion that is going on. Saddened to see few posts here supporting the actions and suggesting India also do the same ! I wish you all peace and growth.
Bet they won't do the same with respect to Saudi and UAE which are also at war in Yemen. Not to mention other human right abuses in Saudi.
DIY410 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 23:56   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Is that really the point here? US invasion vs Russia's annexation?

I am not good with these definitions, but what US did was no less a crime in my opinion. Whether US invaded or Russia annexes, or it's the other way around, if there are no ramifications for attacking another sovereign country, then it sets a dangerously bad precedent for the entire world.
Who told you there ever were "ramifications" for attacking another sovereign country? This concept of Westphalian sovereignty is only applicable to peer states and not when one state has disproportionate power with respect to the other. The same has been demonstrated ample number of times post WW-2 by every major power worth its salt (US/USSR/China/UK/India etc.). Putin is just following those earlier precedents. Also, contrary to what UDHR, Geneva Convention etc. would like you to believe, crimes cannot be committed by nation states. Nation states conduct diplomacy or war (which is continuation of diplomacy by other means).

Last edited by sierrabravo98 : 24th February 2022 at 23:59.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 00:25   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
So glad to see people taking stand against the invaders !
Did any one stand up against US, Britain for invasion of Iraq?
Who can forget Kosovo war where US and EU used brute force to break Serbia.
I am not supporting any side but highlighting bias.

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 25th February 2022 at 00:28.
FrozeninTime is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 00:37   #95
BHPian

Received the message on WA but makes sense to me.

Few facts we need to understand.
1. Russia is a good friend of India.
2. Russia is the main arms supplier to India.
3. Ukraine has never supported India in its war against illegal invasion of kargil by Pakistan, or China trying to illegally occupy Indian territories at Galwan.
4. Ukraine is one of the large arms supplier to Pakistan

Given these realities, India should stand by Russia, however immoral it may be.

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th February 2022 at 05:51. Reason: Minor punctuation clean up.
gupta_chd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 00:52   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post

2. Russia is the main arms supplier to India
3. Ukraine has never supported India in its war against illegal invasion of kargil by Pakistan , or China trying to illegally occupy Indian territories at Galwan.

Given these realities , India should stand by Russia , however immoral it may be .
Things are more nuanced than that. Our Antonov An-32s are all Ukrainian and more importantly, the Gas turbines that run all our destroyers are Ukrainian (including the latest Visakhapatnam class destroyers).
dragracer567 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 01:26   #97
BHPian

Putin's intentions go far beyond just Ukraine. He seems to be determined to establish the former Soviet Union. Ukraine is just the start. As soon as his troops enter the Baltics, it is a full blown 3rd World war. Only time will tell what tactics and reasoning he might come up with to confront the Baltic countries.
Old 25th February 2022, 02:58   #98
BHPian

Americans in general and current US administration in particular have no value for Indian lives. Let's not forget this is the same administration which banned export of essential covid-19 vaccine raw materials during the peak of covid wave in India. I command the current Indian administration which is trying to be neutral. Siding with US is easy, will only fetch good articles in NYT , BBC etc on Indian leader(s), Indian people gain nothing. US is neither a friend nor an enemy, just a strategic partner.

Let's just take the high moral grounds and say nothing against Russia and teach the art non violence to Ukranians to gain their freedom back. Russia will be happy since we say nothing, Ukranians will be happy for the new art that we teach.
nandrive is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 03:06   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post

2. Russia is the main arms supplier to India
3. Ukraine has never supported India in its war against illegal invasion of kargil by Pakistan , or China trying to illegally occupy Indian territories at Galwan.

Given these realities , India should stand by Russia , however immoral it may be .
Lets not justify war. A country is being illegally annexed and it's citizens are losing thier homes and thier loved ones.

Wishing death on someone just because they did not support us in our issues is beyond immoral. Let's not bring business into this as well because India does a lot of business with questionable nations as well.

I see a lot of "Ukraine deserved this because it did not help India", " We should be on Russia's good books because we do business/helped us in the past". Russia is not the same as it was earlier and is a dictatorship accused of plenty of war crimes. There is no justification for a country with a history of peace to side with war criminals. I am ok with the current neutral stand.

People justifying the annexation is what's wrong with today's world. Hope better sense prevails.
Bluengel180 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 06:53   #100
BANNED

It’s not Russia that has declared war. It’s Putin. Russia is Putin and Putin is Russia. I don’t think anyone knows names of any other political figure / Vice President / Prime Minister or whatever in Russia.

It’s like Hitler in WWII. Germany didn’t declare war. Hitler did.

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts. Putin wants Ukraine. He takes it.

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2022 at 08:27. Reason: Typo
Old 25th February 2022, 08:01   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
It’s not Russia that has declared war. It’s Putin.
Interesting. Did the British colonize India or did the successive line of monarchs starting from 1857 . After all, it was the proclamation in their name wasn't it ? So why not say that the particular ruler inflicted a brutal regime on Indians ? What's the difference ?

This method of naming the ruler seems to be a typical slant used by western media to paint the other side. I am not justifying any of the current action but I want to call out the hypocrisy that is the reality of world politics.

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2022 at 08:27. Reason: Quoted post edited
fhdowntheline is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 08:10   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
Who told you there ever were "ramifications" for attacking another sovereign country?
Quote me the piece where I claimed - there ever were "ramifications" for attacking another sovereign country.

Quote:
The same has been demonstrated ample number of times post WW-2 by every major power worth its salt (US/USSR/China/UK/India etc.). Putin is just following those earlier precedents.
Thanks. You just made my point in a different way.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 08:15   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
This method of naming the ruler seems to be a typical slant used by western media to paint the other side. I am not justifying any of the current action but I want to call out the hypocrisy that is the reality of world politics.
That's the point me and a couple of BHPians have been trying to make. But it's being perceived as if we're supporting Russian act of unnecessary aggression.

Putin's actions are right? No.

Does the west have a hand in the situation to reach this stage? Yes.
TROOPER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 08:42   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Rhetoric aside, Putin is doing best when it comes to Russian interests. Nobody asked Ukraine to tango with US & NATO. Still, they did & are paying the price. He gave enough warnings for peaceful co-existence but the puppet in Ukraine choose to look other way. Where is US & NATO now. Only Ukraine suffered in this whole Saga.
Very rightly said. What was the need for Ukraine to be a member of NATO. It's like poking a bear. However, this has its roots in 2014 annexation of Crimea by the Russian forces. From what I read things were amicable before that. Having said that US or any member of NATO would think twice before retaliating against Russia which is no Iraq or Afghanistan. And I think US hasn't forgotten Vietnam. A full blown world war is not what the world wants right now after pandemic. I believe Russia will prove its point against Ukraine and NATO and situation will ease in two weeks time. NATO may lose its importance after that, however when it comes to choosing between economy and war - I hope they choose economy.

Last edited by Mr.Ogre : 25th February 2022 at 08:44.
Mr.Ogre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 09:00   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Quote me the piece where I claimed - there ever were "ramifications" for attacking another sovereign country.

Maybe I did not quite understand your post in the correct spirit, and do correct me if I am wrong, but you wrote and I quote :

Quote:
if there are no ramifications for attacking another sovereign country, then it sets a dangerously bad precedent for the entire world
Now the generally accepted definition of precedent is:
Quote:
an action, situation, or decision that has already happened and can be used as a reason why a similar action or decision should be performed or made
So you would if forgive me if I assumed that you were implying that prior such invasions were filled with ramifications/consequences for the invading nation and that the world would be done a great disservice if Russia was not made to suffer any consequences (because then such inaction would surely set a precedent).

If I am wrong in my understanding, I indeed apologize for the same.

Last edited by sierrabravo98 : 25th February 2022 at 09:23.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks