Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2022, 16:28   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hot Threads | How do you like our "Retro" series?

Am sure many of you have already noticed it. At the end of each day's hot threads list (updated every morning) is a sneaky new entry that starts with "Retro:"

It is basically the hottest thread from this day, last year. Team-BHP has new discussions everyday and we thought it'd be amazing to revisit the hottest thread of last year.

Some samples from the last few days:
Hot Threads | How do you like our "Retro" series?-screenshot-20220517-161723.jpg

Hot Threads | How do you like our "Retro" series?-screenshot-20220517-161859.jpg

Hot Threads | How do you like our "Retro" series?-screenshot-20220517-161635.jpg

Hot Threads | How do you like our "Retro" series?-screenshot-20220517-161513.jpg

Hot Threads | How do you like our "Retro" series?-screenshot-20220517-161545.jpg
GTO is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 16:32   #2
BHPian

Re: Hot Threads | How do you like our "Retro" series?

Interesting. What *retro* I'd love to see, though, is a monthly review of old cars, classified according to their time period or engine capacity. Say, a Ford ikon 1.6, Baleno 1.6 etc., in one series.
TheHelix0202 is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 18:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is good. Some old threads are always relevant, they just are forgotten when new threads pile on - this will bubble them to the top.
amol4184 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 18:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I like it! Much appreciated. I check it everyday as well as the various Thanked categories.
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 19:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Team-BHP has new discussions everyday and we thought it'd be amazing to revisit the hottest threads of last year.
Great initiative, GTO. There is so much quality content on the forum which must be brought to the fore; will serve as a good refresher for those who've already gone through, and a refreshing new read for those who haven't seen them. Not just hot threads of last year, I'd say we could dig out all good and educative threads from 2004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
monthly review of old cars, classified according to their time period or engine capacity. Say, a Ford ikon 1.6, Baleno 1.6 etc., in one series.
Agree. One or two threads on one car a week would be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Some old threads are always relevant, they just are forgotten when new threads pile on -
True, amol4184. Gems should not remain hidden.
vigsom is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 09:10   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Am sure many of you have already noticed it. At the end of each day's hot threads list (updated every morning) is a sneaky new entry that starts with "Retro:"

It is basically the hottest thread from this day, last year. Team-BHP has new discussions everyday and we thought it'd be amazing to revisit the hottest thread of last year.
Yes, I noticed this and I like it. This is a great initiative. It is always fun to revisit past memories.

However, if I may suggest a small point, I think maybe looking at the hottest threads 3 years or maybe even 5 years ago may be more fun and more fitting for the "retro" tag. Many of the 1 year old hot threads are already fresh in our minds, and often it does not feel that different from current hot threads. But if we suddenly see a 5 year old hot thread on the homepage, that would give a real retro experience.

But regardless, this is a nice initiative and I am looking forward to revising many interesting past threads soon.

Last edited by vb-saan : 20th May 2022 at 08:16. Reason: As requested
Dr.AD is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 09:24   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Have been reading all the retro threads for the past 10 odd days. The word Retro caught my attention and I initially thought someone has posted on a old thread and the title been changed.

Nice strategy to increase reader stickiness
gauravdgr8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 10:23   #8
Puh

I completely love it.

I didn't not know what retro actually meant but it completely makes sense to me.

Being only 1 year old in the forum, it is going to be exicting to see what surprises the retro series is going to give me everyday.

Great initiative GTO
Puh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 10:27   #9
BHPian

Yes, the retro threads are a great idea! I end up checking them out more than the other hot threads
Hulk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 11:43   #10
BHPian

I like it, it is a great initiative.

The Car A/C thread came at the exact moment when I was facing some issue in my car.

Based on that thread, when it was diagnosed Evaporator needs to be changed I asked them to remove the entire dashboard instead just managing to change via steering column.
Arun_S is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 11:53   #11
BHPian

I love the initiative!

With so many high-quality threads being created daily on Team-BHP, The 'Retro' series is bringing up some really awesome past threads. It is very interesting to see the slight changes in perspectives of BHP-ians on some topics.

IMHO we should continue with the series. Always good to revisit old threads.
Vibhanshu0923 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 12:39   #12
BHPian

I have been an avid reader of this forum since 2014, and I have surely developed a habit to check this forum at least once a day. This retro series does bring out forgotten jewels for the newer audience. I would be glad if you don't limit this thread to the hottest topic of last year. Certainly, some wonderful articles like the YetiBlog Series, Behram Sir's words on how he and his team developed some of the gems in the Indian automotive scene like Padmini, MM 540, Gannu's some epic modifications, Jeroen's Garage, and travelogues, Vigsom's wisdom, karlosdeville, and Pavan Kadam's Restoration so on can be presented in this series. A lot of these threads have been lost in time and I make sure to visit them.

There are quite a few members in the forum who have their way with words. I vaguely remember an article that pricked my funnybones. I don't remember the OP, he publishes rarely but does make it to the hot thread section every time. Can you please bring these threads out too?

Last edited by avaneesh. : 19th May 2022 at 12:44.
avaneesh. is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 13:17   #13
BHPian

It’s a great idea but I do wish they also featured older threads, even decades old. IMO some of the most interesting threads and post are around the late 2000s and completely hidden unless you go in the rabbit hole. A lot of newer members may have not seen them.
Not only automotive but also off topic threads, like the spooky thread which I binged once from start to finish, it was that good.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 14:27   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, the reason for going 1-year back (and not 5) is:

- Our Thanks Analytics lists the hottest stuff from this day, last year (3rd category).

- 4 & 5 year old threads will be outdated.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 15:46   #15
BHPian

I am liking it now. But an alternative perspective I would like to offer…

The initial thought that I had when I first saw the retro was: "Oh man, is TBHP forum now dying as well that they have to resort to showing older content"

Dunno why I feel this when other products that surface such throwback content (FB) don't give me this feeling of not enough new content being present. Maybe a separate section for retro may do the trick.

Apologies if it seems like I'm rambling. Unable to very clearly articulate the feeling.
batladanny is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks