Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2022, 15:33   #16
BHPian

Re: Got my driving license, its a laminated printout!

it seems that local govt is heavily into cost cutting. A relative passed away last week and we were told no physical death certificates are issued anymore at the cremation ghat. A link is sent your phone/e-mail and that's about it. You can download and print that.

The tax tokens and RC's have been printouts for a long time, so not surprising with DL's.
nitishk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 18:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_torqueaddict View Post
Is Digilocker awareness low? I also saw a thread about storing hard copy of license a while ago.
My paranoia essentially stems from the fact that as a new driver, the last thing I want is to get into a verbal conflict with the traffic police. I have seen instances (where I was a passenger) of drivers getting heckled for no reason.
Old 1st July 2022, 20:24   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garud View Post
My paranoia essentially stems from the fact that as a new driver, the last thing I want is to get into a verbal conflict with the traffic police. I have seen instances (where I was a passenger) of drivers getting heckled for no reason.
I understand. Try to be polite with the cops. It works wonders. They might taunt you, but just stick to your narrative that as this Digilocker was made legal you do not carry a hardcopy anymore. My Digilocker copy was even accepted in Seychelles.
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 11:01   #19

I was recently stopped at two non West Bengal airports by the security agencies who would not accept this printout styled laminated card. They accepted the DigiLocker version.

Quote:
I joined a few months ago while I was giving my LL exam and well, things have gone smoothly. I was training from the local Maruti Driving School and their training was pretty helpful. Passed my DL exams in the first try and got the soft copy of the license soon after.

And then the wait began, for the hard copy/smart card that is.

Today, I got a call from the showroom associated with the driving school that my license was ready. It came as a bit of a surprise as I was expecting the card to be delivered to my address. Well, anyway, I went to the showroom and was given my "card".

Attachment 2326953

As you can see, it's a laminated black and white printout of the download. When I asked about my PVC Smart Card, they replied that those are not given out nowadays. This came as a surprise to me. I contacted someone in the RTO and he mentioned that PVC cards are not given out for the past 2 years.

Now, I am not at all comfortable with the current "card". I have seen drivers getting quizzed by traffic police for less. Am I being paranoid? Is this the norm nowadays? If not, what do I need to do to get a smart card?

ssomani13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 12:15   #20
BHPian

While this won't be an issue in India, it will certainly cause problems when you want to rent a car abroad.

Most rental agencies will ask for DL in english and will insist that it is one of the smart ones with a chip in it. They can't do anything with the chip but the very fact that the chip is there makes it more authentic than a laminated printed DL with a basic stamp on it.

Technically, you can make the same DL on your own. The only limiting factor is that stamp which anyway is not a big deal.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, at least for now.
veedub89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 12:32   #21
Team-BHP Support

My son got his DL in May 2022 at Bangalore and it was a smart card. But the RC cards may be still paper.
Old 2nd July 2022, 14:00   #22
BHPian

I also got my DL updated last month to my new address. I was issued the same sort of DL from The Beltala RTO in Kolkata. Guess this is the new normal.
aak91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 14:06   #23
BHPian

Though chip-based cards are again being issued in Karnataka, apparently the authorities never had any means to read them! I believe it is the same case with most states. Did anyone ever experience the card being inserted into a card reader?

Quote:
The Transport Department launched smart cards for driving licences and RCs in 2009, but it has hardly been of any use as enforcing authorities do not have the readers available with them to read the chip card that are inserted in these smart cards.
Source
I remember reading another news item where the Karnataka Transport Department was complaining about the monopoly of the vendor who supplies these 'smart' cards.
Old 2nd July 2022, 14:19   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gischethans View Post
Though chip-based cards are again being issued in Karnataka, apparently the authorities never had any means to read them! I believe it is the same case with most states. Did anyone ever experience the card being inserted into a card reader?
Karnataka is among the top 5 corrupt states in the country. However, we are also a hi-tech state since a long time. That is why Bangalore became the silicon valley of India in-spite of all the politicians getting in the way. Of course, they take the credit for it now.

Our politicians and babus realised long ago that it is lot easier to blow up money while spending on software and hardware items. I recall how the police department was asking for 50% kickback 30 years back for buying anti-virus software from us. Very difficult to dispute the prices that are paid. Therefore, they always spend on the latest gadgets and technologies even if the utility is dubious. We had credit card type DLs 20 years ago.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd July 2022 at 14:28.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 14:25   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
While this won't be an issue in India, it will certainly cause problems when you want to rent a car abroad. ...Most rental agencies will ask for DL in english and will insist that it is one of the smart ones with a chip in it. They can't do anything with the chip but the very fact that the chip is there makes it more authentic than a laminated printed DL with a basic stamp on it.
Heard many relatives getting sniggered at rental agencies in NA and Europe because of the DL issued by Kerala RTOs, though the GCC nations are used to it because of the sheer number of Indian DLs they go through.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 15:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Now, I am not at all comfortable with the current "card". I have seen drivers getting quizzed by traffic police for less. Am I being paranoid? Is this the norm nowadays? If not, what do I need to do to get a smart card?

Same thing happened with me, when I closed my car loan and applied for a new smart card. Got a paper printout. I thought it was a scam. But after some enquiry i was told about the card supplier contact expired and it will be renewed soon and they will start issueing smart card as before, but that day never came. Now I have a A4 paper as my smart card
Laminated it.
My license is supposed to be renewed in a few months, and i will be going to get a printout again
I think, as the digital documents are being accepted, they will stop issueing the physical cards totally.
edunata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 19:15   #27
BHPian

Well I got my RC as a A4 size printout for my Royal Enfield Bullet back in 2018 Sep. when enquired they were saying that this is how it is done.

I was told that I cannot laminate that piece of paper as well. So I have kept it safe in my documents wallet. Not sure how long it will stay fresh.

Is there a way to upgrade the RC to smart card kind of document ?

Location - Chennai
Old 2nd July 2022, 19:42   #28
BHPian

For all those who think we are good enough with the digital versions, please note, passport office still needs hard copies of address and ID, and driving license is one of them. Hence, keep a hard copy at home, you never know when you or your kid's passport will expire and you will suddenly need it.
Old 2nd July 2022, 20:21   #29
BHPian

Finally I got my driving license delivered at home by post. (At Gujarat)

This is first combined driving license for me, Earlier I had following,

1.) Two wheeler DL issued by Gujarat (GJ-12 Kachchh district) RTO, in Dec 2000, smart card.

2.) 4 wheeler DL, issued by Maharashtra RTO, issued in 2008. Again smart card.

My MH driving license was lost, and my GJ driving license was expired last year.

I got FIR registered as well few years back for MH, but couldn't get is reissued as I don't have any address in MH.

Finally, last year during renewal, was able to get both merged, but couldn't get it printed.

I got a new (renewed actually, number was similar to old 2W DL, issued in GJ, this was also issued in same RTO as 2W) with both 4W and 2W, and expiry date similar to MH DL, also address of this new DL was from MH DL.

What helped me was my MH DL was digitized, i.e. data was available in Sarathi system.

Final step, was to get the address changed at RTO of my current address and after few months (I think I applied in Feb) today I got new DL issued.
Old 2nd July 2022, 20:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I joined a few months ago while I was giving my LL exam and well, things have gone smoothly. I was training from the local Maruti Driving School and their training was pretty helpful. Passed my DL exams in the first try and got the soft copy of the license soon after.

And then the wait began, for the hard copy/smart card that is.

Today, I got a call from the showroom associated with the driving school that my license was ready. It came as a bit of a surprise as I was expecting the card to be delivered to my address. Well, anyway, I went to the showroom and was given my "card".

Attachment 2326953

As you can see, it's a laminated black and white printout of the download. When I asked about my PVC Smart Card, they replied that those are not given out nowadays. This came as a surprise to me. I contacted someone in the RTO and he mentioned that PVC cards are not given out for the past 2 years.

Sir, in Kolkata all the RTOs have been doing this for quite sometime now, i also got the same when i added MCWG to my existing LMV license.
kaustavguha is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks