Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2022, 20:50   #31
BANNED

Re: Got my driving license, its a laminated printout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garud View Post
If not, what do I need to do to get a smart card?
I have been only using Digilocker and Mparivahan app for Driving licence, RC & Insurance. I had the book type DL which was issued in 2002, got renewed last month and it is a laminated one from Kerala. If you want a PVC one, you can get a copy which can be made into PVC card. Just to help your paranoia. No officer can ask for a physical DL. I have told one o give it in writing and we shall meet in court, he backed off.

https://pvccardprinting.in/product/d...iving-license/

Last edited by The Rationalist : 2nd July 2022 at 20:55.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 16:46   #32

We are also having similar issues with DL (and even RC) in Kerala. As pointed it is just a colour print out without any office seal. Only a signature is there, that too looks like a copy - paste in paint/word! At least they used to have a hologram in the past and that too is missing now.

Fortunately, police is honouring the parivahan data though not sure whether that is the case everywhere. I have another problem my DL is valid till 2027 as per parivahan while it is valid only till 2022 in the print out!!!

/Govind
Old 4th July 2022, 11:27   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Heard many relatives getting sniggered at rental agencies in NA and Europe because of the DL issued by Kerala RTOs, though the GCC nations are used to it because of the sheer number of Indian DLs they go through.
Hahaha. Yes.
The very first time I rented a car in Europe, I got a similar response.
I had got the IDL from the Chandigarh RTO but the IDL was like a cheap pocket size booklet with some stamps on it.

The attendant at the rental agency basically laughed in my face when she saw it.

Thankfully, my license (even way back then, maybe 10 years ago) was the smart one with the chip in it.

So she was like, your license is enough, take this cheap booklet with you.
veedub89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 20:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garud View Post
When I asked about my PVC Smart Card, they replied that those are not given out nowadays. This came as a surprise to me. I contacted someone in the RTO and he mentioned that PVC cards are not given out for the past 2 years...Location: Kolkata
I think even within the same state, the rule varies from RTO to RTO. I had lost my DL last October and I got a duplicate one issued today from Barrackpore RTO. It's a card-type license.
Attached Thumbnails
Got my driving license, its a laminated printout!-whatsapp-image-20220707-7.17.04-pm.jpeg  

boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 11:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

You gentlemen are lucky to get a coloured printout.
Kolkata Main RTO, (WB-02), is just handing you over a printout on a plain sheet of paper.
You got to cut it to size and laminate it yourself. Same goes for vehicle registration certificates also, don't know about new vehicles, but for change of ownership and vehicles being re-issued a registration certificate, (fitness certificate), the scenario is the same.
Old 11th July 2022, 17:54   #36
BHPian

I got a DL made after 20 years. The one from 20 years ago didn't have a chip but was a proper plastic card issued by an RTO in Rajasthan. In June 2022, Kolkata RTO gave me that laminated sheet of paper. Was both shocked and disappointed - but then again my home state has sprung its share of surprises at me over the years and each time I ve had nothing to do but accept things as they are! It appears that our friends in Kerala are sailing the same boat - glad to know we have company
Old 11th July 2022, 19:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

My first ever driving license was a laminated card in the early 90's. I got my Smart Card a few years later and it's been that way ever since. Few years ago all people with the old laminated cards were told to replace them with Smart Cards. In fact all RC books also need to be Smart Cards now. The RC of my 1st gen Activa is also a smart card.
Old 12th July 2022, 08:16   #38

Got my DL renewed just last month, and got a smart card. My previous DL, valid from 2002 to 2022 (June), was also a smart card.
Have not seen a paper based DL for 20 years now !
Old 12th July 2022, 09:38   #39
BHPian

My DL was up for renewal. I was thinking it would not be a smart card going by posts here. But I got smart card again in Bengaluru. I may have thought it has something to do with supply chain issues. But doesn't look like it.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 13:22   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Have you used this link or know of someone who has? I am not happy with the laminate and would like to get a PVC. Wondering if I should upload Digilocker file or the printout I got from RTO on this website.
Old 1st August 2022, 14:50   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktop View Post
Have you used this link or know of someone who has? I am not happy with the laminate and would like to get a PVC. Wondering if I should upload Digilocker file or the printout I got from RTO on this website.
I have taken PVC copy of both Digilocker file & laminated DL given by Kerala MVD (pathetic original DL, such a shame that in 2022 the citizens are given this garbage for DL!).
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 14:00   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I have taken PVC copy of both Digilocker file & laminated DL given by Kerala MVD (pathetic original DL, such a shame that in 2022 the citizens are given this garbage for DL!).
Thank you very much! I will also go ahead now and place orders for both on that website. Totally agree with you. In 2022, this is not what a DL should look like. Shameful.
Blacktop is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks