Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2022, 18:21   #76
AZT
BHPian

Re: Service charge in restaurants abolished; Fresh guidelines issued against unfair practice

Reading about service charge still being levied makes me think the new rule is toothless and the NRAI has off-the-record told all restaurants to just ignore and go ahead with business as usual.

One restaurant being penalized would set the cat among the pigeons.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 18:25   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Service charge in restaurants abolished; Fresh guidelines issued against unfair practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
In Bob's Bar 100 ft Rd Indiranagar, the waiter informs you verbally about the service charge. It is also written on the menu.
Meaning that, "I have told you about the charge, still you sat and ordered, so you have implicitly agreed to pay"
this is equivalent to telling 'i told you i am going to hit you, you still stood there did nothing, which means you are okay being hit and hence i hit you'.

How does it take away from the fact that hitting someone is illegal or going against what has been stated as a law (not sure if its a law yet) but as a ruling is illegal?

this is plane dumb and stupid.

cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 18:08   #78
BHPian

In my opinion it is fair to leave a tip. I leave a decent tip when I either like the service or the food.
After having a sumptuous meal at a nice restaurant with my loved ones its satisfying to share a little bit of joy to the server and the valet as well.

I generally don't pay via the service charge route but tip separately, but decently.

In this thread we have heard a lot of restaurant customers who don't like Service charge.

Any Hotel/Restaurant owners here who would like to give their side of the story ?
frewper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 22:12   #79
Sen
BHPian

Had the service charge removed recently on request 3 days ago, no hassles. Check the bill and get it removed since it must be declared on the bill.
Old 20th July 2022, 21:45   #80
Senior - BHPian

Apparently the Delhi High Court has given a stay order in the appeal of the Restaurant Association.

Restaurants are supposed to prominently display that they would levy a "Service Charge" separately, and that they're not supposed to collect it for take away food.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 23:36   #81
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Apparently the Delhi High Court has given a stay order in the appeal of the Restaurant Association.

Restaurants are supposed to prominently display that they would levy a "Service Charge" separately, and that they're not supposed to collect it for take away food.
This is actually a win for the restaurants. The expensive ones anyway display they are charging a service charge and I haven’t seen anyone levy it on deliveries.
Old 22nd July 2022, 09:05   #82
GTO
Team-BHP Support

LOL! Indian jugaad at its best. This is what I saw in Mumbai restaurants last week. Bill came with the 10% added. Lady asked the manager at Pa Pa Ya "what if I don't want to pay?". Manager says they will take the bill back and give you a revised one without the optional 10%. But the first bill is always given with the 10% added.

Pro Tip = Morning breakfast at Salt Water Cafe absolutely rocks! Go for their bagel with cream cheese + coffee:
Service charge in restaurants abolished; Fresh guidelines issued against unfair practice-20220716-11.10.39.jpg

Service charge in restaurants abolished; Fresh guidelines issued against unfair practice-20220715-19.07.40.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 15:16   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
LOL! Indian jugaad at its best. This is what I saw in Mumbai restaurants last week. Bill came with the 10% added. Lady asked the manager at Pa Pa Ya "what if I don't want to pay?". Manager says they will take the bill back and give you a revised one without the optional 10%. But the first bill is always given with the 10% added.
I still don't get what stops the restaurants from increasing the prices of all items by 10% and be done with it. Why this cock & bull about 10% Service charge extra? Perhaps something to do with GST reporting?
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 15:20   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Manager says they will take the bill back and give you a revised one without the optional 10%. But the first bill is always given with the 10% added.
Same is the case with Urban Tadka / PopTates. Also, they calculate the CGST and SGST on the total value including service charge which is a bit weird.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks