Team-BHP - Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/256463-building-car-minecraft-m-terrenus-review.html)

A/M Terrenus Review

- I like the quirky retro-inspired styling! Quite unique in today's world of generic crossovers.
- Interior quality is incredible. Proper luxury!
- 500hp 4WD setup is mouth-watering.
- Boot space of 420L with all three rows up is commendable.
- I better like it, I made it myself :p

Dislikes:
- It doesn't exactly drive, does it?
- Looks like an overblown Kei car from some angles.
- Lever for manual mode is confusing to use. Paddle shifters would've been better.
- Might be rather cumbersome to drive around in a busy city with its massive proportions.
- Upright windshield means the car will be easily susceptible to rock chips.

Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220901-153425.png

Introduction

Minecraft is a popular video game first released in 2009 by Mojang Studios. Since then, the game has gone through many updates and has become the world's most popular video game by copies sold. While Minecraft is most known for it's survival game mode, in which players must collect resources and fight dangerous creatures, the game also has a creative mode in which players have infinite resources and can build whatever they want to.

Now, I've built quite a few things in Minecraft before. Here's an Air India plane I built in January 2022:

Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220105-183021.png

But naturally, being a car enthusiast, I've always wanted to build a car. However, Minecraft has a few limitations. For starters, due to the game's blocky nature, curves and diagonal lines are IMPOSSIBLE, which meant that any car I built would have to essentially be a box on wheels. Additionally, there isn't much scope with the blocks that Minecraft has when played 'vanilla' (without additional modifications that add more content) - and hence the car had to be built with modded Minecraft.

The final result is this, the A/M Terrenus, an electric off-roader and SUV with quirky retro-modern styling.

Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220901-162753.png

Powertrain Details

The Terrenus is powered by two electric motors at the front and two at the rear, resulting in a combined 505hp with available 4WD. The system also produces a cool 850Nm of torque :thumbs up

The Terrenus has a 75kwH battery, which achieves a claimed range of 475km on a full charge. Additionally, the Terrenus supports DC fast charging which can charge it from 5%-60% in just 20 minutes. Not bad!

Exterior Images

Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220902-002649.png
Imposing front end has a singular light strip with the DRLs and indicators, below which is the large black grille that does bear a slight resemblance to the iconic Jeep 7-slat design.

Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220902-002753.png
A close up of the bumper which houses a large air dam with the LED headlamp setup. While the air dam seems pointless for an EV, it does certainly make the vehicle look sportier...

Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220902-002848.png
Real metal skid plate and excellent underbody protection will lend you confidence when you venture on to the roads less travelled.

Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220902-003026.png
Boxy side profile is very JDM-esque and is rather unique in today's world of everything being rounded with cuts and curves everywhere. Like the funky alloys? More on them in the next image...

Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220902-003105.png
The alloys are 20-inchers, with what A/M calls the 'RGA20' design. The wheels are intended to resemble whitewalls like in vintage cars. IMO, one of the better looking alloy designs out there.

Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220902-003223.png
Door handles are finished in black and also get LED illumination at night.

Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220902-003341.png
Function-over-form ORVMs are large, heated, and also have integrated turn indicators.

Name:  Screenshot 20220902 003455.png
Views: 421
Size:  478.1 KB
Minimalist rear doesn't have any badging, and doesn't have an excessive amount of creases and cuts. Taillamps are part of a simple LED strip like the one up front, along with the indicators. Below that is a cover for the spare wheel, another old-school rugged styling cue, next to which is the lever to open the tailgate. The black-textured D-Pillar can be seen better in the photo below:

Name:  Screenshot 20220902 003821.png
Views: 389
Size:  673.9 KB
I really like this, it lends the car quite a bit of character :thumbs up

Interior Images

Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220903-230505.png
The interior of this particular car had 'Majestic Blue' colored seats combined with a 'Starlight Black' interior finish. All surfaces are covered in wool, including the seats. The idea is that unlike with leather, on a hot day your back won't be sticking to the seat and you won't be feeling uncomfortable.

Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220903-230920.png
A closeup of the seats, which have additional gold contrast stitching. The seats are incredibly large, and provide great back and underthigh support. Both front seats get 21-way powered seat adjustment, ventilation, heating and massaging.

Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220903-232902.png
Here's a good view of the dashboard. The driver has a leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls plus an 8-inch digital instrument cluster. You may notice the bizarre lever near the steering wheel. The idea is that it can be used to shift just like flappy paddles, but gives a more 'authentic' and 'analog' feel. It's fairly simple to use, but rather confusing at first. In the center is the large aircraft-inspired gear lever along with a 12-inch central touchscreen slightly angled towards the passenger. What I like is that physical buttons have been retained for basic functions such as climate control, which is also something I really wish was in my Hector (in real life).

Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220903-232616.png
Second-row has very good legroom and exceptional comfort, with the seatbacks scooped out for extra room. The second row gets heating and ventilation, but misses out on the massaging function. And in case you're wondering where the rear AC vents are...

Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220903-233138.png
...they're roof-mounted. IMO, roof-mounted vents chill a lot better than ones mounted on the rear console :thumbs up

Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220903-233407.png
Third-row legroom is actually not bad for an average-sized adult, and isn't much worse than the second row. Wondering about the button on the side? That's for the 3rd row VENTILATION :Cheering:

Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220903-233722.png
Boot space of 420L with all three rows up - in one word, INCREDIBLE!

Other Points

- A full mod list, for anyone who has Minecraft Java Edition and would like to build something similar:
Quote:

All mods are run on Fabric 1.18.2 for Minecraft Java Edition, and hence it is crucial to download the Fabric API and put it into your 'mods' folder. Some mods listed are used for reasons such as performance optimization, and don't add any new content.

BetterF3
Blockus
Create
Create Crafts & Additions
Ecologics
Iris
Indium
Lithium
Mod Menu
Oh The Biomes You'll Go
Phosphor
RoughlyEnoughItems
Sodium
WorldEdit
WTHIT

- Dimensions are tricky to measure in Minecraft, but I estimate a car like this to be atleast 5.2m in length - rather large for Bombay roads :D

- In terms of safety features, the Terrenus gets 9 airbags, ABS with EBD, blind spot assist, rear cross-traffic monitoring system and a host of ADAS features including radar-based adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist and autonomous emergency braking.

- Before the Terrenus, there was the wild TLO pickup truck concept that was powered by a V6 and was 5.5m long. It was eventually reproportioned, redesigned and converted into an SUV to become the Terrenus - a photo of the TLO can be seen below:
Building a Car in Minecraft - A/M Terrenus Review-screenshot-20220903-235446.png

- A few fairly obvious things not mentioned in the review: the touchscreen gets both CarPlay and Android Auto, all three seats in the third-row get three-point seatbelts, and the car does have a small frunk thanks to it being an EV.

- If you have any questions, leave them below and I'll answer them. Hope you guys liked the build :)

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

One question I’m sure a few of you would have: why does an electric car have a lever to shift?

Simple answer: multi-speed transmissions on EVs are possible (like the Taycan’s 2-speed), and if I ever developed an EV, I’d never want it to have a single-speed unit!

Like I mentioned, if you guys have any questions, I’ll answer them :)

No questions here, but this is was a splendid read for this morning, especially from someone who's played a ton of Minecraft.

Your dedication and skill is impressive, and I love the way you kept the "block" theme intact. A tiny idea for future fun: how about some redstone wizardry to really spice things up? :D I'm no redstone expert myself, but adding a jukebox for a sound system sounds pretty good!

Fantastic build, I'd love to read more about it.

Great job with the builds! Being a Minecrafter myself, I can only imagine how long it would take to build one of these. Plenty of creativity and resourcefulness is required to carve an automobile out of these cubes and the job you have done is commendable. clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer (Post 5394649)
No questions here, but this is was a splendid read for this morning, especially from someone who's played a ton of Minecraft.

Your dedication and skill is impressive, and I love the way you kept the "block" theme intact. A tiny suggestion: how about some redstone witchcraft to really spice things up? :D

Fantastic build, I’d love to read more about it.

Thank you!

Regarding redstone, I assume the best option here is a flying machine. Unfortunately, there isn’t much space under the car to place stuff like slime blocks and pistons, which is a real shame :sadface

That being said, if I built another car with more space under the body, I’m sure I’d look into it :)

Ohh man! You are just crazy :loveit
How did you miss sunroof?

Hahaa buddy, something different!clap:
Minecraft is a game that requires creativity, and it seems you've got a lot. Loved the build, I can only imagine how much time it would've taken for you to make this happen.
This really is good stuff!:loveit

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arsenic (Post 5393775)

Other Points

- If you have any questions, leave them below and I'll answer them. Hope you guys liked the build :)

@Arsenic going by the laurels you're receiving, bet it's a fab build! I'm eager to learn about Minecraft and you being the expert - can you guide as to what exactly am I do to in this 'game'. There is an education version, professional version - both paid I believe. There is a niece of mine, in Standard 9 and they had an intra-school competition in Minecraft - the team built a small house with some rooms in it and other items. She was particularly proud of the parts of house she built herself, but the novelty of the entire project eluded me and failed to make any impact - I mean, what am is one supposed to appreciate in it? Is there a tangible role that I need to achieve here? :confused:

I've only played FPS games till now, read CS 1.6 but the ardent fan following which Minecraft has in the gamer community is something else and given that fact that MS paid BIG $$$ to purchase it from Mojang means business!

Any guidance is much appreciated!

Quote:

Originally Posted by djay434 (Post 5395030)
@Arsenic going by the laurels you're receiving, bet it's a fab build! I'm eager to learn about Minecraft and you being the expert - can you guide as to what exactly am I do to in this 'game'. There is an education version, professional version - both paid I believe. There is a niece of mine, in Standard 9 and they had an intra-school competition in Minecraft - the team built a small house with some rooms in it and other items. She was particularly proud of the parts of house she built herself, but the novelty of the entire project eluded me and failed to make any impact - I mean, what am is one supposed to appreciate in it? Is there a tangible role that I need to achieve here? :confused:

I've only played FPS games till now, read CS 1.6 but the ardent fan following which Minecraft has in the gamer community is something else and given that fact that MS paid BIG $$$ to purchase it from Mojang means business!

Any guidance is much appreciated!

Thank you!

Regarding your confusion, I’ll settle it quickly:
Minecraft has two distinct game modes in singleplayer - survival (in which one must obtain resources, fend off dangerous hostile mobs and eventually beat a final boss, the ‘ender dragon’ but theoretically you can continue playing even after beating the dragon (there are people who have played 1000+ game days in the tricky ‘Hardcore’ sub-mode where you can’t be revived after you die!)) - and creative, where players have infinite resources to build whatever they want. Creative mode has no end goal, it’s basically free play.

Microsoft did pay top dollar to get the game, but mostly because the fan following Minecraft has is mind-blowing. Even after the disappointing 1.19 Update / Wild Update (which some fans termed the ‘Mild Update’ due to the amount of added content shown in the trailer that didn’t make it to the final update), Minecraft continues to grow, and is very much a valuable IP that Microsoft will milk to their full advantage :thumbs up

PS: if you’re confused about which version to get, it depends on the platform you play on. If you have a good PC, I’d recommend getting the Java Edition due to the fact that all additional content can be downloaded for free versus the ‘Bedrock Edition’ of the game. However, if you play on console or phone, get the Bedrock Edition, which has the benefit of cross-platform play. The Education Edition is designed strictly for little children, so I wouldn’t recommend anyone over the age of 9 buying it :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arsenic (Post 5393775)

Other Points

- A full mod list, for anyone who has Minecraft Java Edition and would like to build something similar:

Will show this thread to my son once he is back home during vacation. He is a pro at Minecraft on PS and goes on hours and hours creating wonders.

Nice model created by you! BTW any chances of getting it certified by GNCAP lol: