Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is it a good move by the Govt to introduce speed governors?
Yes, its about time they did this. Brilliant move. 31 81.58%
No, its just a waste of time. 5 13.16%
65kmph speed limit can be fatal if followed on highways. 9 23.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2007, 13:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Does it include all Taxis ? A Merc, BMW etc., used by executives to travel sometime between Bangalore and Mysore etc.,
Volvos were not included initially and there was some noise about it. Dont know what happened after.
They should include these governors first on city plying buses (BMTC, School, PSU).
Old 29th June 2007, 14:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

For a city like Bangalore even 65kmph is high especially for buses & trucks.
Old 29th June 2007, 14:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

It will hardly make any difference, if the cabbies are h**l bent on making the roads dangerous,nothing can stop them.
instead of spending so much in speed governors they should better educate the cabbies about traffic and road discipline and enforce strict regulations to curb rash and dangerous driving.
Old 29th June 2007, 14:13   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Does it include all Taxis ? A Merc, BMW etc
I suppose so.
Quote:
They should include these governors first on city plying buses (BMTC, School, PSU).
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
I think 65 kmph limit is fine for cities, but bad for highways.
Maybe this might be applicable to the city only. Maybe not, details don't mention these specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
Do the inter state shunting Volvo's also become victims here??
They are already limited at 100 since day 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team
It is the insensitive and stupid driving that kills. An insensitive driver can kill people even at 40 kmph.
Agreed, but I guess call centre cabs just prove us wrong. I have seen Sumo's, Qualis' do insane speeds on the ring roads. Zipping in and out and stopping inches away from our beloved ones. Its scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzone
my suggestion is Govt should think of teaching them to follow the lane discipline and good driving skills and am sure there would be significant redcution in the number of accidents
Agreed, but will auto drivers/truck drivers/bus drivers/cab drivers really care to listen or follow? I can see the auto guys not following the lane demarcation setup at MG.Road and Cubbon Road itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini
Anything that the auto / taxi unions oppose can only be a good thing for us! Hope this makes the outer ring road less of a hazard in the evenings
Well almost true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
So imagine 3 yellow board vehicles in front of you taking up all the lanes all going at 65kmph. How do you plan to pass them? Stay behind till one of them gives way?
For starters keep them away from shan's thread. Then they will adopt this strategy surely to debate the speed limits taking a cue from RKS post .

Personally, I think this is a good move. Though in addition to this, there should be equal attempt in educating these guys about road safety. I do think this should be applicable only in cities and a slightly higer speed limit for the highways. Maybe have checkposts at every exit road that leaves Bangalore and have them re-program it.

Also, such a device is already running in most of our BMTC buses I guess?

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 29th June 2007 at 14:14.
Old 29th June 2007, 14:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Also, such a device is already running in most of our BMTC buses I guess?
Its already there in KSRTC & BMTC buses. I guess they can't go beyond 70Kmph. It was done long back as part fuel efficiency campaign. Most obey. KSRTC Volvo buses usually operate between 80~100.

In city, its not the speed thats required to be limited.

Whats most required is lane discipline:
  • Public buses should always stick to left lane (for this, all stray objects, vehicles should be cleared from left lane).
  • Bus stops must always be clear and buses must stop only bus-stop (as close to the footpath as possible).
  • Buses should never overtake another bus (i.e. change lanes), unless its an emergency.
Old 29th June 2007, 15:06   #21
Team-BHP Support

brilliant move in city, though they still will cruise at 65 kph in the Right lane causing havoc
Old 29th June 2007, 16:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think there is a confusion here. Lot of our members have assumed this gadget will limit the speed of the vehicles to 65 kmph. It will not. It will generate a report that will show how many times the driver erred. Am I correct?

Who will monitor this report?? The cops? The call center admin heads?
Old 29th June 2007, 16:17   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I think there is a confusion here. Lot of our members have assumed this gadget will limit the speed of the vehicles to 65 kmph. It will not. It will generate a report that will show how many times the driver erred. Am I correct?

Who will monitor this report?? The cops? The call center admin heads?
Well newspapers does indeed say that it will restrict the speed to 65kmph. Whose going to be monitoring these is yet to be seen.

Quote:
Its already there in KSRTC & BMTC buses. I guess they can't go beyond 70Kmph. It was done long back as part fuel efficiency campaign.
Yes, true. I remember seeing a note on a bus saying speed restricted on it. Also had read about it in the newspapers. It has indeed been implemented.
Old 29th June 2007, 16:22   #24
Team-BHP Support

Just found out that this may not materialize. They seem to be reaching an agreement for the existing cabs. The taxi union requested more dates to install the governors as the investment was too big and it would take time to install as well.

So for now it will be for all new vehicles whereas for the vehicles already plying it will be extended.

If the situation changes I will update.
Old 29th June 2007, 16:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have seen KSRTC buses having speed limited to 80 kmph since 10-15 years.
Old 29th June 2007, 16:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

India is perhaps the only country in the civilised world where it is not illegal for large buses to overtake others in the city. Even Bangkok, that is nothing but a third world city like ours, does not allow this. I wonder when we will implement some basic civilised rules on the streets before going hi-tech.
Old 29th June 2007, 16:40   #27
BHPian

the speed governors where here in kerala a month ago and just vanished the very next month.

i do see the KSRTC buses some of them equipped with the kit, trucks and school buses still zoom by my car even when i am doing 70kmph on the NH.
Old 29th June 2007, 16:49   #28
Team-BHP Support

This is a welcome move, I'd say. The way these cabbies zoom on the roads such as the ORR are just too dangerous !! They care a hoot about their own safety, and also that of others.

I just hope they get serious with implementing this move, and it just doesnt bow down to pressure from the unions.

A mail just came from my company's transport team which relies to some extent on SRS travels for cabs. Seems SRS wont be a part of this strike. So, that means they are fine with the whole issue, and they agree they overspeed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks