Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Pick one or more of the choices you agree with.
Over employment or working two full-time jobs at the same time 12 9.09%
Moonlighting (i.e. part-time) in a similar job with a competitor 15 11.36%
Moonlighting (i.e. part-time) in a similar job in an unrelated industry 66 50.00%
Moonlighting (i.e. part-time) in an unrelated job anywhere 86 65.15%
Disagree with all the above 25 18.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2022, 19:18   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moonlighting | Are you for it or against? | Wipro & Infosys frown, Swiggy is okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Professionals moonlighting should leave Karnataka: IT minister

How does that work in a modern democracy?
Democracy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
One would think a politician, of all people, would be sympathetic to moonlighting, what with a vast majority of them moonlighting as 'public servants'
Just to give some context, the honourable minister is in charge of the following departments:

Quote:
1. Electronics, Information Technology
2. Biotechnology, Science and Technology
3. Higher Education
4. Skill Development, Entrepreneurship and Livelihood
5. Chairman, Covid 19 Task Force
6. District in charge minister - Ramanagara
He also runs
Quote:
Padmashree Charitable Trust and Shushrutha Group of Institution, which are running a group of educational Institutions, which offer various courses in Paramedic, Management, Science and technology and Ayurvedic Medical Science
Source:

So, as you can see, he has first hand experience of the difficulties of moonlighting; and is therefore urging the innocent software engineers to stay clear of the evil!!

We simply misunderstood him!!!

(PS: Would posting a reply here while on my company's clock count as moonlighting? After all, am I not being rewarded with knowledge and goodwill for my efforts? Could someone please enquire with someone close to the minister if Bhpians from Karnataka are safe, or should we start looking at classifieds columns of newspapers in neighboring states.

Please!!!!)
dailydriver is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 13:00   #137
BHPian

Re: Moonlighting | Are you for it or against? | Wipro & Infosys frown, Swiggy is okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Moonlighting is OK - Period. No Qualifiers, No IFs, No BUTs!

Individuals commit a certain contracted hours of their time to a profit-seeking enterprise, so individuals can also seek to maximize their own earning without impacting their contracted commitments. IP protection and Conflict of Interest management is the prerogative of the employer(s).

We, in this country, have a lot of history of accepting bull-shit and this noise around moonlighting is just that!
Precisely so. As long as we arent using company confidential information or laptops and out of business hours, we can use our free time and our skills in the way we want to. As for their agreements, they arent employee friendly most of the time, thanks to the toothless labour laws and the new ones empowering the MNCs rather than us. Starting from the absurdly low salaries, draconian notice periods we have to serve if we leave vs being terminated suddenly at the behest of company policy/business correction and the bull they propagate. This man inherits the company from his father, sits at the boards of multiple companies and does this preaching when all we want is to earn enough for a stable life.
100Kmphormore is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 01:33   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
(PS: Would posting a reply here while on my company's clock count as moonlighting? After all, am I not being rewarded with knowledge and goodwill for my efforts? Could someone please enquire with someone close to the minister if Bhpians from Karnataka are safe, or should we start looking at classifieds columns of newspapers in neighboring states.

Please!!!!)
Go to your neighbour's up north, few months ago half of the ruling parties MLAs were moonlighting
Old 21st February 2023, 10:14   #139
BHPian

No matter what we think about moonlighting, it is definitely more ethical than this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mon...25451.html/amp

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks