Team-BHP - The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/25760-tv-streaming-shows-thread-no-spoilers-please-267.html)

Finished watching Squid Game on Netflix within a day. Dictionary definition of binge-watch!

A very fresh concept than the regular web-series fare that comes our way these days. The way the makers have portrayed human emotions and crafted each of the characters is marvellous. A remarkably taut screenplay takes the show to a different level altogether.

The first episode starts off slowly, but as the series moves forward, it turns into an edge-of-the-seat affair!

Rating: 5/5

P.s. Wish Indian creators could take a leaf out of such brilliantly-crafted shows and bring us some quality content!

Just finished season 2 of Kota Factory. Anyone who has been sucked into the vortex of IIT-JEE preparation will surely relate to this series.

A very interesting scene in Episode 5. The results of JEE Advance have just been announced and the faculty of a top (but fictitious) coaching institute are checking which of their students have secured the top ranks. The director is very disappointed that the highest all-India rank (AIR) secured by the institute is 4th. Just then, they find out that one of their students has secured AIR 1. The whole staff is overjoyed. The director's assistant asks him "Sir, CLA?" (Should we gift the student who got AIR 1 a CLA?) The director shakes his head and replies with a smile "530d."
They definitely have a BHPian on their writers' team. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamNikhil (Post 5173094)
Finished watching Squid Game on Netflix within a day. Dictionary definition of binge-watch!

A very fresh concept than the regular web-series fare that comes our way these days. The way the makers have portrayed human emotions and crafted each of the characters is marvellous. A remarkably taut screenplay takes the show to a different level altogether.

The first episode starts off slowly, but as the series moves forward, it turns into an edge-of-the-seat affair!

Rating: 5/5

P.s. Wish Indian creators could take a leaf out of such brilliantly-crafted shows and bring us some quality content!

+1

I am currently in Ep 4 and this series has knocked the socks of me. It gets shocking from Ep1 to intriguingly interesting as each episodes passes by.

What a brilliant concept and execution coupled with some fantastic acting by some of the actors (especially the main lead- Fabulous acting)

We are enjoying it so much that we are rationing it and watching 1 episode per dayrl:

Finally after Breaking Bad, BCS, Dexter, Broadchurch, Fauda etc. Found a series that is binge worthy watch (except that I am not binging on it)

5/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamNikhil (Post 5173094)

If you liked this, check out Alice in Borderland.

Watched House of Secrets- The Burari Deaths on Netflix. This is a documentary on the suicides in the Burari area of Delhi.

There are a total of 3 episodes and the second episode in particular was chilling!

Trailer: https://youtube.com/watch?v=xN5J-Ld3G1s

Few recommendations from my side

Banshee on hotstar - It just popped up on hotstar and I started watching without any expectations, and got hooked. This is about a thief who comes to the town of Banshee and pretends to be the sheriff. However, this is definitely not family friendly and there is lot of violence (pretty raw) and nudity. So, use your discretion. Rating - 8/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2017109/

Downton Abbey on Netflix - about the family of the Earls of downton and also the lives of the servants, in the early 1900's (world war I). The sets are grand, and the canvas looks like a painting. Again, this might not be everyone's cup of tea as the screenplay/drama might seem old school but I like some old school charm. Rating - 9/10

Also watched Kota Factory Season 2 and found it very good and very relevant. Among all the fun and laughter, it does touch upon very senstiive and pertienent topics as well. Definitely recommended (8/10), Well done :thumbs up

Every one is talking about Squid game and it deserves all the praise. The concept, the art direction, visuals are all stunning. Definitely recommended (8/10), but not among my all time best shows.

Just finished House of Secrets: The Burari Deaths. What a waste of lives, specially the young kids. Wonder how can someone be so delusional in this day and age :Frustrati

Watched the second half of the 5th Season of Billions at my friends place. 4.5/5

I'd been rooting for TeamAxe since the beginning. Though the characterisation of Mike Prince is brilliant, Bobby's character had a raw hunger. Have a guy feeling that Wendy & Taylor's roles may fade slowly through the next season. Chuck's weight loss takes away a fair bit from his character, but he still manages well enough

The screenplay of the finale has been crafted brilliantly. They could've messed it up, but didn't.

Started watching Alice in Borderland and Season 3 of YOU. Currently on episode 3 of both.

You is looking formulaic & there isn't anything new in the overall concept. Unnecessary gore doesn't entertain anymore. Will stay put if there's a good twist.

Alice in Borderland seems made well & the 2nd episode was pretty painful. IMO the theme is just too far fetched (much˛ further than Squid Games), hope they carry it off well now on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammarNazi (Post 5176815)
Watched the second half of the 5th Season of Billions at my friends place. 4.5/5

I'd been rooting for TeamAxe since the beginning. Though the characterisation of Mike Prince is brilliant, Bobby's character had a raw hunger. Have a guy feeling that Wendy & Taylor's roles may fade slowly through the next season. Chuck's weight loss takes away a fair bit from his character, but he still manages well enough

The screenplay of the finale has been crafted brilliantly. They could've messed it up, but didn't.

Started watching Alice in Borderland and Season 3 of YOU. Currently on episode 3 of both.

You is looking formulaic & there isn't anything new in the overall concept. Unnecessary gore doesn't entertain anymore. Will stay put if there's a good twist.

Alice in Borderland seems made well & the 2nd episode was pretty painful. IMO the theme is just too far fetched (much˛ further than Squid Games), hope they carry it off well now on.

Got bad news for you.
Axe isn't returning for next season. The actor has refused to film anymore as his contract was for 5 seasons and due to recent loss of his wife he wants to spend more time with his kids. That's why Mike prince will be the main character and confrontation with Chuck will be the theme. I don't like this as Billions for me started with Axe and ends with Axe.

YOU current season has been underwhelming so far. I am only 5 episodes in so maybe there are some better twists in later ones.

Lupin [French with English subtitles] [Netflix]

A binge-worthy watch. The story is of Assane Diop, played by Omar Sy, who is out to avenge his father convicted on false charges 25 years back. Assane is inspired by the popular French fictional "Gentleman burglar" Arsene Lupin and frequently employs Lupin's methods to seek his justice.

The pace is thrilling, the settings are beautiful, characters have emotional depth, and the background score elevates.

The climactic episode is a little too elaborate and seems implausible.

4.5/5

ps 1- English subtitling is top notch and you hardly have any problem following the plot.

ps 2 - Family friendly with just a few cuss words here and there.

Season 3 of Succession is out & the 1st episode was intense.

Have moved down You & Alice in Borderland, both to whenever I want to kill time - presently don't find them very appealing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 5176833)
Got bad news for you.
Axe isn't returning for next season...

This part I knew.

Quote:

The actor has refused to film anymore as his contract was for 5 seasons and due to recent loss of his wife he wants to spend more time with his kids. That's why Mike prince will be the main character and confrontation with Chuck will be the theme. I don't like this as Billions for me started with Axe and ends with Axe...
This I didn't know. I used to be stoked being TeamAxe but Mikes' characterisation has now been developed well, with a fair amount of history - his unpredictability has lent some depth to the plot too.

Actually, between Season 4 & first half of Season 5, the writing had gone down & the popularity eroded, but they've picked up well. They've even watered down the rubbishly excessive emphasis on socio-liberal "gender correctness" with Taylors' character, and kept good focus on the plot itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoumenD (Post 5175072)
Just finished House of Secrets: The Burari Deaths. What a waste of lives, specially the young kids. Wonder how can someone be so delusional in this day and age :Frustrati

I watched this and it left me deeply disturbed, especially the first two episodes. The third and final episode provides some sense of closure at least but the devastation wreaked on the friends and families left behind is so hard to see.

Netflix makes wonderful documentaries, especially on sensitive crime-related topics. I was never a fan of documentaries but must confess that Making A Murderer changed all that. Now I devour the art form and have even watched some of the foreign ones.

There is another Netflix documentary on the Bangalore police, "Crime Stories: India Detectives" which I also thought was pretty well-made. True to form, it has got tangled in legal issues now. I can only see 3 episodes online.

Was looking for some drama after completing "Queen of the South" (highly recommended) and stumbled upon "The Designated Survivor". Good show, good performances, good story. 5 episodes in and I'm loving it, although not as much as iconic political dramas like House of Cards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 5178778)
Was looking for some drama after completing "Queen of the South" (highly recommended) and stumbled upon "The Designated Survivor". Good show, good performances, good story. 5 episodes in and I'm loving it, although not as much as iconic political dramas like House of Cards.

It was a brilliant series that shows the awakening of a low dept senator. Quite similar to the Tom Clancy story of Ryan moving up the value chain. Unfortunately the show was cancelled after the third season. Interestingly the third season showed a Covidisque scare. No spoiler alerts. Kiefer Sutherland was quite good

For me the best political show has been The West Wing beyond doubt. The casting has been top notch and while one of the season became a bit Bollywoodisque, overall it has been a great viewing. This is my go to serial and i have now watched 3 reruns in the last 3 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 5178778)
"The Designated Survivor". Good show, good performances, good story. 5 episodes in and I'm loving it

Don't invest time beyond season 1. It goes downhill very soon.