Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2022, 08:31   #1
BHPian

Everything Pune : Queries related to living & settling in Pune

Hi Everyone,
I am relocating to Pune for joining a new job. Living in North India (NCR) and US my whole life, I need to understand how is the city, which places to live and enjoy. Most importantly which places to avoid.
Initially I will be there by myself for six months to year. Any insights that can be provided, Do's & Don'ts would be hugely appreciated.
What does a nice furnished 1 or 2 BHK in Pune, located in an upscale society cost to.How is the traffic and commute in Pune, what are the mode of transport available, if I do not drive my car down to Pune from NCR.

I feel the thread may be helpful for anyone in the community planning to shift to Pune.

Will not stretch the post into a long one, anything anyone wishes to share please do so.

thank you

Kind Regards
jimmyjagga is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 10:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Everything Pune : Queries related to living & settling in Pune

Would be helpful if you indicate where is your place of work.

Public transport (by bus) may not be your cup of tea, if the distance to be covered is >5km. Autos and cabs are available - but, there are some infamous roads which are always busy. Metro operations are yet to cover all the areas.

An upscale furnished 2 BHK apartment (in the vicinity of IT areas) will cost upwards of Rs. 25,000/-.

Do note that Pune and Pimpri-Chinchwad are two distinct parts and each has its own uniqueness!
vrprabhu is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 12:05   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
I need to understand how is the city, which places to live and enjoy. Most importantly which places to avoid.
Pune will spoil you. Lovely weather, lots of places to visit around, a generally easy life, much less traffic than the other metros, life in Pune is better.

No one here will ask if you know their father, you don't have to smell someone's armpit while you travel to work, AQI is <100 for the most part, your house will have a balcony that is more than a few feet wide, the calendar won't change the date while you're stuck at a signal...... you get the gist.

Koregaon Park, Kalyani Nagar have the most outlets for indulgence, although Kothrud and Baner are trying to be right up there. KP and KN have inherent wealth, Kothrud and Baner have wealth earned through on-site trips.

What will disappoint you: it is a few notches lower than Mumbai/Delhi when it comes to being enterprising. Most shops don't need your business, you need their product.

Also, jobs in Pune are mostly around manufacturing (esp. auto related), and IT services. You won't find a lot of fancy consulting or marketing sort of jobs.

Quote:
What does a nice furnished 1 or 2 BHK in Pune, located in an upscale society cost to.
Again, depends on the area. Outside of KP, you can get a 2BHK in a good society ~20-25k. A 3 BHK not at much more.

You can decide where to stay depending on your work place.

Quote:
How is the traffic and commute in Pune, what are the mode of transport available, if I do not drive my car down to Pune from NCR.
There's an unofficial entry in the Guinness Book that Pune is the 2W capital of the world. Won't be very far from the truth.

The thing you won't like about Pune is how pathetic the public transport really is. Yes, there are electric buses, yes the Metro's coming. But you seriously need to have you own vehicle. Swiggy / Dunzo / Zomato and the likes have made things easy but you'll hate not being able to explore the many things to see (from hill stations to mountain forts, to beaches, to dam backwaters and everything in between) because you don't have a vehicle.

Traffic isn't as bad as the other metros, but the amount of infrastructure construction in progress have made things a little miserable.
libranof1987 is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 12:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Would be helpful if you indicate where is your place of work.
Thank you for your kind response, appreciate it

My work place will be at Aundh. Would there be some good living options near a by ~ 10Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Again, depends on the area. Outside of KP, you can get a 2BHK in a good society ~20-25k. A 3 BHK not at much more.

You can decide where to stay depending on your work place.

There's an unofficial entry in the Guinness Book that Pune is the 2W capital of the world. Won't be very far from the truth.
Thank you for your response. Appreciate it

You mentioned outside KP, is Koregaon park more expensive then rest?

Also how is the life for two wheelers here, i was thinking of checking the box and buying a bike (mid life crisis ) for my self for commute.

Thanks again
Regards

Last edited by libranof1987 : 5th November 2022 at 12:31. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts + trimming quoted posts. Kindly use the Quote+/Edit feature to quote multiple posts.
jimmyjagga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 12:22   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
=My work place will be at Aundh. Would there be some good living options near a by ~ 10Kms
Oh, terrific. You're blessed. No, seriously. The bulk of the traffic travels to either extremities at each of the IT / business parks. Being in Aundh, you don't need to navigate town traffic.

Aundh has good stay options, and there are several areas within 5kms which have very good societies. Look at:

Aundh
Baner / Baner Pashan Link Road (avoid Sus - as that's across the highway)
Balewadi
Pancard Club road

Most good societies are gated, have 24*7 security and power backup for common areas. Some have full power backup even in the flats - check if that matters to you. Some areas (esp. in Balewadi, Pancard Club road) are notorious to depend (heavily) on tankers for water as corporation supply is insufficient - ask around if water is 24*7 even in summer.

You'll find a lot of options in Pimple Saudagar, Pimple Nilakh, Wakad as well (some better than those in the above four places) but I'd recommend against - as you'll then have to be a part of the traffic that goes to Hinjawadi for work. And it can be a nightmare.

Quote:
You mentioned outside KP, is Koregaon park more expensive then rest?

Also how is the life for two wheelers here, i was thinking of checking the box and buying a bike (mid life crisis ) for my self for commute.
Yes, KP is significantly more expensive. And yes, Pune has a VERY big biking community. From a few hundred cc to a few litres. From having the bike to buy eggs and bread, to traveling cross country.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 5th November 2022 at 12:24.
libranof1987 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 12:25   #6
BHPian

It all depends where your workplace is. If your office is based out of Hinjewadi (assuming you to be an IT guy), forget staying in Viman Nagar and Koregaon Park. The commute itself will tire you out in no time. Likewise if your workplace is around Magarpatta/Kharadi forget staying in places like Baner etc. Public transport is hopeless (as compared to say Mumbai). Buses are over crowded, timings are at mercy of god. Although the condition of buses have improved over time with introduction of electric buses. Metro will take its own sweet time to be fully functional.

About autos, yes there is Rapido, Ola Uber etc but forget hopping down and catching an auto quickly to get around. Meter system doesn't exist. You are better off with your own 4 wheeler. You will also end up buying a scooter as well as you will realise that is the most convenient way for local errands. Traffic issues are still manageable as compared to Mumbai. You definitely don't have the likes of dreaded western express highway here.

Since you specifically mentioned upscale society, Baner, Koregaon Park, Viman Nagar, Kalyani Nagar, SB road, Bund Garden, Boat club road are your best bets. But again it all depends on where your workplace is.

Edit: Just saw your update. Aundh is very good option to stay. Baner is nearby. You will have minimal travel time to office.

I too moved to Pune this year after spending 35 years in Mumbai. Absolutely fed up with traffic and weather.

Last edited by Dodge_Viper : 5th November 2022 at 12:26.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 12:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
It all depends where your workplace is. If your office is based out of Hinjewadi (assuming you to be an IT guy), forget staying in Viman Nagar and Koregaon Park.
Thanks mate appreciate your feedback.

Quote:
Oh, terrific. You're blessed. No, seriously. The bulk of the traffic travels to either extremities at each of the IT / business parks. Being in Aundh, you don't need to navigate town traffic.
So Baner is a good option as per your feedback. KP I have searched over google maps is a good distance from Aundh, so it is not making much sense to me, plus I can utilise the savings if it is that expensive.

I have to go down there and start talking with some real estate consultants for renting options, but as mentioned by you i will start with Baner.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th November 2022 at 14:44. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
jimmyjagga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 13:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..several areas within 5kms which have very good societies. Look at:

Aundh
Baner / Baner Pashan Link Road (avoid Sus - as that's across the highway)
Balewadi
Pancard Club road
+1.

If you wander on the new DP road from Aundh towards Wakad (which runs within the residential area), you will see plenty of options - apartments of various sizes are available in the locality ...

If you want an area which is slightly less crowded, try Model Colony (near Pune University). Advantage will be you will be living amidst bungalows and travelling against the traffic in the morning and evening commutes to work at Aundh.

Surviving in Pune without a scooter or a motorcycle will be tough! Of course, you can opt to test your cycling skills in Pune... (it was a city of bicycles prior to 90s)

Last edited by vrprabhu : 5th November 2022 at 13:50.
vrprabhu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 23:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,
What does a nice furnished 1 or 2 BHK in Pune, located in an upscale society cost to.
About 25K for a fully-furnished 2 bhk in good society.

Quote:
My work place will be at Aundh. Would there be some good living options near a by ~ 10Kms
If you are want to live in a leafy neighborhood with one or two building kind of society, then look for apartments in Anandban Park and Nagras Road in Aundh itself.

You can also look for apartments near Jupiter hospital in Baner as you can quickly go to Aundh through the Aundh-Baner link road (5 minutes). Added advantage is that this road has significantly less traffic than going from Baner to Aundh through Baner road followed by ITI road.

Again if you move a little further from the Jupiter hospital area to Pimple Nilakh, you can get many choices there. Travel time would increase by 5 minutes compared to Jupiter hospital surroundings.
catchjyoti is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 01:13   #10
BHPian

Aundh is one of the fine places in Pune to stay, both Pune and pimpri Chinchwad are within your reach, my suggestion would be to stretch your budget by 5k or even more but stay close to your work place reason being the city and its transport system are in transition and I don't see it improving in the next 2 years or so. The metro works have narrowed the existing roads and the traffic is just horrible at present. When the metro works are complete and the roads are freed up we can expect the traffic to become manageable.
Pune is surely a nice place, been here for 30 years, weather has deteriorated in the past decade but is still much better than most of the metros in India, city is relaxed, surrounded by hillstations, they call it pensioners paradise. Off late it has been growing unsustainably, the municipal authorities are struggling to cater to the needs of ever increasing population. Irrespective of all things it is still preferred by majority of people who wish to settle here, most of my friends who hail from Delhi, MP, HR, RJ etc came here like you and have permanently settled here i.e they are not excited about comparable job offers back in their hometown.
If I were you I would not look any further than Aundh itself for an abode, or maximum baner if its unavoidable.
Welcome to Pune.
Dark water is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 05:41   #11
BHPian

First things first. Pune is a NIGHTMARE as far as traffic is concerned. Every one (me equally guilty) is with the 'Mere baap ka raaj hai' attitude. No traffic discipline, few rules followed.

Remember a phrase from the 1990's: if you can ride and drive in Pune, you can drive or ride any where in the world.

If working in the Aundh area, look up Google Maps. They will show you neighbouring areas like Aundh itself and Baner-Balewadi. Stay LESS than 5km from workplace. Absolutely avoid University Chowk from 8.30am to 8pm. I live in Pune and avoid it like (whole lot of un-Parliamentary words). I don't want to mess with anyone.

Public transport in Pune is not worth the effort. Buses are efficient, some even on time, but the traffic chaos bugs the hell out of all timetables. I use the bus when I have time to spare. Metro is partially operational.

No 'taxi', this is an auto-city. Uber, yes; Ola, yes. But mostly autorickshaws, both short and long distance. Personally, I use the Uber auto option for short distances and Uber car for any ride over 5km.

People are friendly and outgoing. Hindi and English are normal, lingua franca remains Marathi.

Pune once, a long time back, was a bicycle city, now it is a (motorised) two-wheeler city. Suggest you experience Pune traffic for a month, keeping an alert eye on the way a) Uber driver; b) auto driver; c) friend -- ride or drive. It is a learning curve.

Food: HEAVEN.

Bring your own vehicle once you learn the rules of this city.

Last edited by mygodbole : 6th November 2022 at 05:47. Reason: extra words
mygodbole is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 07:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
+1.

If you wander on the new DP road from Aundh towards Wakad (which runs within the residential area), you will see plenty of options - apartments of various sizes are available in the locality ...

If you want an area which is slightly less crowded, try Model Colony (near Pune University). Advantage will be you will be living amidst bungalows and travelling against the traffic in the morning and evening commutes to work at Aundh.

Surviving in Pune without a scooter or a motorcycle will be tough! Of course, you can opt to test your cycling skills in Pune... (it was a city of bicycles prior to 90s)
Thanks for the feedback, I will look out for places suggested by you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
About 25K for a fully-furnished 2 bhk in good society.

If you are want to live in a leafy neighborhood with one or two building kind of society, then look for apartments in Anandban Park and Nagras Road in Aundh itself.

You can also look for apartments near Jupiter hospital in Baner as you can quickly go to Aundh through the Aundh-Baner link road (5 minutes). Added advantage is that this road has significantly less traffic than going from Baner to Aundh through Baner road followed by ITI road.

Again if you move a little further from the Jupiter hospital area to Pimple Nilakh, you can get many choices there. Travel time would increase by 5 minutes compared to Jupiter hospital surroundings.
Thank you, appreciate your feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark water View Post
Aundh is one of the fine places in Pune to stay, both Pune and pimpri Chinchwad are within your reach, my suggestion would be to stretch your budget by 5k or even more but stay close to your work place reason being the city and its transport system are in transition and I don't see it improving in the next 2 years or so. The metro works have narrowed the existing roads and the traffic is just horrible at present. When the metro works are complete and the roads are freed up we can expect the traffic to become manageable.
Pune is surely a nice place, been here for 30 years, weather has deteriorated in the past decade but is still much better than most of the metros in India, city is relaxed, surrounded by hillstations, they call it pensioners paradise. Off late it has been growing unsustainably, the municipal authorities are struggling to cater to the needs of ever increasing population. Irrespective of all things it is still preferred by majority of people who wish to settle here, most of my friends who hail from Delhi, MP, HR, RJ etc came here like you and have permanently settled here i.e they are not excited about comparable job offers back in their hometown.
If I were you I would not look any further than Aundh itself for an abode, or maximum baner if its unavoidable.
Welcome to Pune.
Thanks this is consistent to what fellow members have highlighted
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
First things first. Pune is a NIGHTMARE as far as traffic is concerned. Every one (me equally guilty) is with the 'Mere baap ka raaj hai' attitude. No traffic discipline, few rules followed.

Remember a phrase from the 1990's: if you can ride and drive in Pune, you can drive or ride any where in the world.

If working in the Aundh area, look up Google Maps. They will show you neighbouring areas like Aundh itself and Baner-Balewadi. Stay LESS than 5km from workplace. Absolutely avoid University Chowk from 8.30am to 8pm. I live in Pune and avoid it like (whole lot of un-Parliamentary words). I don't want to mess with anyone.

Public transport in Pune is not worth the effort. Buses are efficient, some even on time, but the traffic chaos bugs the hell out of all timetables. I use the bus when I have time to spare. Metro is partially operational.

No 'taxi', this is an auto-city. Uber, yes; Ola, yes. But mostly autorickshaws, both short and long distance. Personally, I use the Uber auto option for short distances and Uber car for any ride over 5km.

People are friendly and outgoing. Hindi and English are normal, lingua franca remains Marathi.

Pune once, a long time back, was a bicycle city, now it is a (motorised) two-wheeler city. Suggest you experience Pune traffic for a month, keeping an alert eye on the way a) Uber driver; b) auto driver; c) friend -- ride or drive. It is a learning curve.

Food: HEAVEN.

Bring your own vehicle once you learn the rules of this city.
Thank you
Old 7th November 2022, 00:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, I will look out for places suggested by you.

Thank you, appreciate your feedback

Thanks this is consistent to what fellow members have highlighted

Thank you
In simple words:-
1) Stay as close as possible to your work place.
2) Avoid roads for your daily travel a) University road b) Pune Bangalore road (Highway). Luckily aundh stay can avoid both.
3) If you don't plan to stay in Aundh move towards Pimpri Chinchwad direction and not towards core Pune. Baner, Balewadi, Pimple Nilakh, Pimple Saudagar, Wakad are good.
4) Stay close to the arterial roads/main roads to get easy acces to transport.
5) If you are comfortable with two wheeler buy one gearless scooter (used is also fine) ASAP. Will make your life VERY easy. Many main Pune roads especially Peth areas are not accessible by four wheelers.
6) Pune wakes up late, goes to bed early not like Mumbai.
7) Try to be close to a big hospital as family doctors is a dying breed in Pune. General physicians practice more in hospitals rather than having their own chamber.
8) If you love trekking Pune is a trekkers paradise. Many forts are nearby.
8) Other than hardly two months you do not require air conditioning. If you are coming from Delhi probably you won't need any!
9) Beware of two wheelers, they drive rash, drive on wrong side and matters can escalate rapidly so do not get into road rage or teaching people here how to drive. Waste of energy, after some years you will become one of them!
10) If you are a biker you have some lovely roads to drive near Pune eg. Amby valley. If you prefer car plenty of places to visit nearby.
11) You will always feel the difference between a metropolitan city and Pune. Pune is yet to evolve in many ways but Pune has its own charm and over a period of time you would fall in love with Pune and once you have local friends who know Pune better it really becomes a pleasure to be a Puneite.
12) Rich culture.

Hope this helps.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 09:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
6) Pune wakes up late, goes to bed early not like Mumbai.
7) Try to be close to a big hospital as family doctors is a dying breed in Pune. General physicians practice more in hospitals rather than having their own chamber.
8) If you love trekking Pune is a trekkers paradise. Many forts are nearby.
Thank you this does helps.
Your point on Pune sleeps early and wakes up late is a new takeaway for me.
I will make it a point to start my search to rent accommodation from Aundh I would also be keen to have office within 5 KM vicinity.

Thanks again appreciate your feedback.
Regards

Last edited by Sheel : 7th November 2022 at 11:53. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
jimmyjagga is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th November 2022, 13:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Everything Pune : Queries related to living & settling in Pune

Do a simple exercise first, check the live traffic on google every morning and evening from your office to your 5-6 desired localities.

If Aundh is your office area, then you should stay in/around Aundh only since there are a lot of residential complexes there.

1 BHK would be 10-15K, 2 BHK 15-30K - as you would be aware the rental prices are not just dependent on the carpet area but also the locality, facilities/amenities in the vicinity as well as the "poshness" of the society complex.

Although the span of Pune is not too much, small distances can take long time due to ongoing Metro constructions everywhere and generally narrow roads (compared to NCR).

Western part of the city (like Aundh) is blessed with spectacular 1-hour getaways in the hills and lakes and fortresses.

Remember, life will feel easy and convenient: don't get used to it if you are going to move out of Pune!
alpha1 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks