Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2007, 20:41   #1

Had to drive on CLUTCH....

Hello gurus,
I always had this confusion in my mind, the problem is that, i know its not a good habit to drive with ur foot on the clutch pedal, cos apart from the normal wear and tear, it also kills the FE.
But in a bumper to bumper traffic like in bangalore city am really finding it difficult, cos on a heavy traffic situation i just drive on clutch and break cos it gives good acceleration without any thorttle.
SO, my question is, is it good to do this practise, if not then pls advice on some alternative methods.

Regards
Old 11th July 2007, 16:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

i am also confused about this.. but i guess in bumper to bumper traffic, u can't help but ride the clutch.. u can only minimize the clutch wear by completely flooring it and coasting with the brake.. ride the clutch to get some more momentum and then again floor the clutch and coast.. idea is to either completely engage the clutch.. or completely disengage.. and minimize the half-clutch duration.. i would be interested to know better ways to drive in crawling traffic.
Old 11th July 2007, 20:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think there is a difference between exactly 'riding the clutch' and having to use it far too frequently and not completely engaging/ disengaging it while in traffic. People who literally ride the clutch have the left foot on the clutch pedal like a foot-rest even when cruising and when there is no imminent need to use the clutch.

For those who cant kick the 'riding the clutch' habit, I would think it would be useful to set the clutch to have some play and thus prevent wear and tear and/ or reduced mileage.
Old 11th July 2007, 21:48   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Try to release the clutch [completely engaged], but no throttle. FIRST Gear Only. You could get away with that a lot. That way you wont ride the clutch.

This will also allow you to accelerate well when required.
Old 11th July 2007, 22:06   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with Condor. Just remember to full depress and fully release the clutch subjectively without accelerator input.
Old 11th July 2007, 22:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Is your car a diesel ? only a diesel will move that far without the throttle. Also a diesel is pretty easy to drive in the start stop city traffic. Just try to get to the lowest possible gear & release the clutch. i have also had this problem for a long while & rectified myself later.
Old 11th July 2007, 22:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Try to release the clutch [completely engaged], but no throttle. FIRST Gear Only.
Isn't that technically the same thing as your definition of riding the clutch but at a lower (idling) rpm?
Old 11th July 2007, 22:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Try to release the clutch [completely engaged], but no throttle. FIRST Gear Only. You could get away with that a lot. That way you wont ride the clutch.

This will also allow you to accelerate well when required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Isn't that technically the same thing as your definition of riding the clutch but at a lower (idling) rpm?
I think he meant completely disengaged, right condor ?
Old 11th July 2007, 22:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

My car stalls or vibrates (as if the engine is wants some revvs) if i dont put throttle in first gear and disengage only clutch. That is with ac on. Though it reverses without any problems with just clutch usage.

Its a wagonR by the way.

Last edited by DCEite : 11th July 2007 at 22:27.
Old 11th July 2007, 22:27   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

This is where an auto transmission is the absolute winner!

But without it.... depending on the gear ratios and idling speed (affected by the presence of any gradient of course), some cars will crawl forwards very nicely in first gear. My impression, so far of my Swift VDI is that it is going too fast as son as let out the clutch.

In theory, a good way to handle traffic like this is not to inch forward, but wait until you have a few yards ahead of you. Of course, in Chennai traffic (even in London traffic) this just doesn't get to happen. But if you are going up hill, with necessary hill starts then it does save clutch.

In a real crawl, ie less than walking speed, I'll just give the car a nudge forward and depress the clutch again...

I'd say that the definition of riding the clutch is holding the car stationary on an incline with sufficient acceleration by holding the clutch just at biting point.

I'd say that revving hard while moving the car slowly (like flood driving) is slipping the clutch

The habit of using the clutch as a footrest is bad as it is likely, even at small pressure, to cause very slight slippage. And I bet people who do this depress the clutch whenever they depress the break!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 11th July 2007 at 22:33.
Old 12th July 2007, 07:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
I think he meant completely disengaged, right condor ?
No, it is not the same as riding the clutch. it is just as theMAG said.

Riding the clutch is to always have the clutch pedal pressed, while in gear, and moving at faster speeds.
Old 12th July 2007, 09:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Riding the clutch is partial disengagement of clutch. A good explaination of Riding the clutch is given in Wiki - Riding the clutch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a bumper to Bumper traffic it is recommended to engage gear 1 roll and come back to Nuetral if needed to stop. Do not ride the clutch. Riding the clutch reduces the effort for the driver but wears out the clutch.
Old 12th July 2007, 10:12   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

in a really really crawling traffic (which is 25% of my commute).. there is zero tolerance to stall or jerk forward or u will get hit or hit someone.

flat roads (without incline):
it is just clutch and brake one foot on each.
if u don't have the momentum and there is not enough space in front, partially engage the clutch to pick up some momentum and depress it fully again..
if u have space engage clutch fully, rest ur foot on the floor and work the brake (best case scenario)
if u have the momentum and there is not enough space to suit ur 1st gear speed, depress clutch completely and work the brake.

if it is an uphill crawl.. use handbrake, clutch and accelerator. lot of people think this is a very sissy way driving, but the alternative is a sure way of ruining ur clutch.. most clutch plates have asbestos which is harmful to the environment :-)

if it is downhill crawl.. same as flat roads.. don't be tempted to switch off the engine and coast.. u will be shocked to find that the brake is very ineffective. always remember the handbrake :-)

OT: how come people don't use hand brakes in our movies, or keep their feet off the accelerator when the villain tampers the car brakes!
Old 12th July 2007, 10:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think have a very bad habit of riding the clutch, both in the car and on my bike in heavy traffic situation. This has led to a juddering clutch (sometimes) on my bike (dont drive a car much). In the car, I have to make a conscious effort to move my foot away from the clutch, but I always leave it half depressed in heavy stop and go traffic. That way, if I need to move on, I move my right foot away from the brakes to the accelerator, and meanwhile, the clutch takes care of the "braking". Is it unhealthy to do so?
Old 12th July 2007, 11:28   #15

Nice to hear all the replies bro's, but what i can sense is that everybody is having issues when it comes to driving on clutch in traffic, so i guess we can discuess this issue more vividly at the team - bhp meet happenning this saturday, guys keep ur tips handy plssssssssss :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks