Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2023, 16:11   #31

Re: Optimising Residential Rooftop Solar Panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A basic question!

EB supply is 3-phase; solar power is single phase, right? How does that work? Or is something that is simply dealt with in the bidirectional meter?
You get a 3 phase inverter too! This feeds in to your mains.
wankhade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 16:36   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankhade View Post
You get a 3 phase inverter too!
Oh yes, silly me: I have heard of such things!

But they are more expensive right? Is it conceivable to mix single-phase solar and 3-phase mains?
Old 16th February 2023, 11:01   #33
BHPian

Quote:
A basic question!

EB supply is 3-phase; solar power is single phase, right? How does that work? Or is something that is simply dealt with in the bidirectional meter?
Quote:
You get a 3 phase inverter too! This feeds in to your mains.
Quote:
Oh yes, silly me: I have heard of such things!

But they are more expensive right? Is it conceivable to mix single-phase solar and 3-phase mains?
Three phase inverter will be expensive but you may not need to go for that. At least with BESOM, up to 5 kW capacity, they will allow you to have a single phase inverter and it will just be connected to anyone of the 3 phase supply. So the grid seems to be able to manage the imbalance up to 5 kW. Above 5 kW you need to have 3 phase inverter (and 3 phase supply). You can check in your location, my guess is it will be similar.

My 10 KW supply is 3 phase, since I have gone for 3.95 kW, we could put a single phase inverter. The bidirectional meter is anyway 3 phase and measures power in both directions for all phases. But with single phase inverter, only the phase connected to the inverter will have power in the other direction, but that does not affect the measurements.

Last edited by wocanak : 16th February 2023 at 11:05.
wocanak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 14:19   #34
BHPian

The net metering credit prices here in Himachal is
Quote:
“the fixed rate of Rs.5.00 per kWh of the energy to be settled in case of consumer
covered under single part tariff and at a fixed rate Rs. 4.50 p. per kVAh in case
of consumer covered under two parts tariff.”
What will be the payback period (with and without loan) and rate of return according to this tariff? Please share the formula you used to drive these values. Thanks.

Last edited by moralfibre : 16th February 2023 at 14:24. Reason: Formatting post.
Old 17th February 2023, 10:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytragopan View Post
The net metering credit prices here in Himachal is

Quote:
“the fixed rate of Rs.5.00 per kWh of the energy to be settled in case of consumer covered under single part tariff and at a fixed rate Rs. 4.50 p. per kVAh in case of consumer covered under two parts tariff.”
What will be the payback period (with and without loan) and rate of return according to this tariff? Please share the formula you used to drive these values. Thanks.
I have given the Google Sheet with the formula for the RoI analysis. But at these low rates the pay back period will be longer. I did a quick check even at a low cost of 60,000 per kWp, the payback without loan is ~7.3 years and payback with loan will be ~11.9 years. Since the rate is flat, the payback is same for any usage. The sheet has brief instruction for usage, you should be able save a copy of the sheet, change the values and see the payback yourself.

It looks like the rates you are quoting are for gross metering, i.e. they pay these flat rates for all the units you generate and you get billed as usual under normal rates. Or the rates in Himachal are much lower than southern states.
wocanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 20:01   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Let me share 4 year statistics of my solar generation for everyone's benefit. .
Could you please share the vendor details, I am also planning to install solar panel and looking for a vendor having good feedback in Pune area.
Old 14th April 2023, 09:03   #37

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
It is three separate shielded earthing cables running inside the same pipe and going to three different earthing pits, spaced at least 2 meters apart. Since they are shielded cables, the vendor said it is fine to run them inside the same pipe/conduit and I think that is reasonable.
Hi,
Thanks for detailed write up on solar roof top and EV experience. Could you share contact details for installing solar roof top? I do have 1.5 KW solar lighting for home now but not connected to grid, now that I am planning to buy an EV car for city commute thought to extend solar roof top for grid.

Appreciate if you could share contact details and any useful information in making a decision.

Last edited by vb-saan : 14th April 2023 at 15:05. Reason: Quote tags fixed
Old 14th April 2023, 12:00   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradhya30 View Post
Hi
Thanks for detailed write up on solar roof top and EV experience. Could you share contact details for installing solar roof top? I do have 1.5 KW solar lighting for home now but not connected to grid, now that I am planning to buy an EV car for city commute thought to extend solar roof top for grid.

Appreciate if you could share contact details and any useful information in making a decision.
Hope, this helps. In case this violates any forum rules, mods please delete and let me know. I will then share only as private message/email to those who ask.

Optimising Residential Rooftop Solar Panels-vendorcontact.png

Last edited by wocanak : 14th April 2023 at 12:04.
wocanak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 18:46   #39
BHPian

Folks, here is a brief update after around 6 months (end Jan to Jul). Everything is working fine so far, here is the production since installation, along with daily [average, min and min] production for each month. We can clearly see it reducing due to the monsoon, guess mostly next three months will continue to be low and then pick. Possibly next 6 months, i.e. Aug to Jan total could be very similar.

Optimising Residential Rooftop Solar Panels-2023h1production.png

The average daily production for full 6 month period is 18.8 units. This is the 3.95 kWp system, so it is around 4.8 units per kWp per day. This is better than the 3.7 units we used in the RoI calculation, even the expected for bifacial is only ~4.4 units. So far so good, but we have to wait for an entire year to fully average out the seasonal changes. Also the suggested values for RoI calculation probably take into account annual degradation in output due to panel ageing.

I was waiting for the first net meter billing to make sure, whatever is showing on the monitoring app is real. It took nearly 5 months to generate the first bill, guess they might have been busy with changes in billing and Karnataka election promise implementation. Below is the summary of the billing. I had mentioned our average monthly unit usage was ~270 units, but that was before the EV purchase, as expected it has increased to ~393 units per month. Increase of 123 units is roughly 3 full cycle charging of the Nexon Max 40.5 kWh battery, for around 900 km per month usage.

Optimising Residential Rooftop Solar Panels-2023h1billing.png

Note that this is Jul bill, covering only up to Jun, i.e. 5 months. The 5 months total is mostly matching the production shown in the app, but the monthly production readings are quite different from what is shown in the app. I am guessing, the readings have been taken on different dates, but they just post it as if it has been taken on 2nd of the month. Or there is some other explanation. Here is the difference between the two.

Optimising Residential Rooftop Solar Panels-2023h1difference.png

Although the total due as per their bill is coming to ~1300, when I try to pay online it is showing a due of ~4100. Coincidentally if we just sum up the absolute value of the net amount, i.e. ignoring the sign it comes to similar amount. Or there is some other issue, I am checking this with the vendor, will update once this is cleared up.
wocanak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 11:50   #40
BHPian

Hi Just puttting this there for anyone in Bombay / Thane / New Bombay area looking for a 4kw system, please get in touch. I am looking to sell my on grid system - 12* 330 w panels and inverter. All just under 4 years old.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks