Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2023, 11:04   #1
BHPian

Home safety - Ideas to increase the safety of your home

I was searching the forum for tips and ideas to increase the safety of our homes and for the individuals staying in, but could not find any thread covering the topics. I will not cover the issues related to security as that has already been covered in another thread.

I will list the issues which I can think of and request the members to add in your valuable tips and ideas to cover as many issues as possible.

All the issues detailed below are based on my experiences over the years.

The issues can be divided based on the type of your abode like an apartment in a building (high rise or a building up to 10-12 floors), or an independent house.

The issues will further be divided in the following categories:

1. Fire safety
2. Injuries to people (slips/trips/falls)
3. Locks for the main and internal doors including bathrooms
4. Locking yourself out
5. Medical emergencies

Please add any other categories if I have missed out on something.

1. Fire Safety

Fires can happen due to various reasons in a house, following are a few common reasons:

a) Electrical short circuit: The electrical short circuits are the one of the most common reasons for fire.

The main reasons are
  • Overloading of electrical systems
  • Using low quality electrical equipment
  • Aging of the electrical cables and equipment
  • Keeping the chargers, AC/DC converters plugged in without an output connected

To prevent electrical fires following must be strictly followed:

-Use MCCB of correct rating for each group of electrical system, the rating of the MCCB should be related to the rating of the supply cables and must not exceed the rating of the cables.

-Earth leakage circuit breaker must be used for the mains supply and if cost is not a limitation, can be used for each individual group to prevent total power trip and easy trouble shooting.

-Never keep electrical equipment plugged in, with power on. Once I experienced smoke coming out of an AC/DC converter at my place. The converter was plugged in, with power on but the output was not connected to any equipment. In modern day equipment this might not happen, but we should avoid such situations.

-We must use electrical equipment of correct rating so as not to overload the circuit.

-Do not connect too many equipment to a single socket.

-Extension cords if used should have their own inbuilt protection (fuse/surge)

-Electric irons are available with accelerometer and cut off the power supply in case no motion is detected. Though the cost is higher, but it gives an assured safety.

I am using one (Philips) and have seen 2-3 incidents where we forgot to switch it off before leaving the house, the iron was cold even when kept flat on the ironing board.

-Keep a check on all electrical equipment and carry out checks for trips where applicable, e.g. water heaters. Please remember, when we switch on and monitor a water heater to check if it cuts off at the set temperature, we have the control to switch it off, in case it did not cut off automatically, and it gives us an opportunity to rectify a fault.

In a new flat that I purchased directly from the builder, we did not move in for around two years. I found out later that the water heater for the kitchen was not cutting off at the set temperature, even at the lowest setting.

-While carrying out the interior work in your house/apartment, the interior designers (so called), take liberties to enhance the appearance by adding lights, make sure the load limits are not exceeded. Most of these guys have zero knowledge about these things, and it is sublet to some electrician who has learned the skill with someone with zero theoretical knowledge about electrical systems.

b) Fire caused by agarbattis/diyas etc in homes: Another common cause of fires at homes, main reason is lack of awareness amongst the people about the potential risk of fire by agarbattis/diyas.

The agarbattis when not enclosed in metal containers with strong and wide base can tip over and come in contact with a flammable material like cloth or wood causing fire.

Lots of households keep flammable materials like ghee, camphor, matches and agarbattis in the place of worship, which if not stored properly are a very high risk items for fire.

The size of the flame of a diya has enough heat to start a fire if it comes in contact with a flammable material. Keep the flame as small as possible by adjusting the length (smallest possible for the flame to sustain) of the wick and use protective cover for the diyas (lots of variations are available in the market).

Make sure no flammable material is stored within 12-15 inches of the location of a diya/agarbatti. Use insulated base for keeping the diya in the mandir if the mandir is made of wood. A mandir made of marble is highly preferable.

Use carburized matches (safety match) or else make sure not to drop the match stick in any bin unless there is no ember visible on the match stick.

If possible use of flame retardant materials is preferable for place of worship and such materials are available in the market but one needs to search specially for use in residential premises.

c) Fires starting from kitchen: The other source of fires in residential premises is fires originating in the kitchen.

Following are the sources of kitchen fires:

- Overheated pans containing oil
- Gas leak (piped or cylinder)
- Fire in the chimneys

The oil tends to self-ignite if the pan containing oil is left unattended for a long time. The only way to extinguish such fire is by using dry powder extinguisher or a fire blanket. Both of these methods cut off the air required to sustain fire. Humans are forgetful and its very difficult to train yourself not to be so. If possible never ever leave oil pans on flame unattended, however small the time interval it may be. If you have to leave, switch off the gas supply. No one ever knows what can happen in the next few seconds or minutes. Its better to switch off the burner than to feel sorry for the loss which in extreme cases can be a loss of life.

NEVER EVER USE WATER TO EXTINGUISH FIRES INVOLVING OILY LIQUIDS, USING WATER WILL SPREAD THE FIRE FURTHER.

Gas leaks can happen from the flexible pipes, pressure regulators, union connections, forgetfulness, flame getting extinguished by draft of air. Following are some basic steps we should follow while using cooking gas at home:

- Switch on the exhaust fan/chimney before you turn on the gas supply for ignition.
- Uses good quality lighters for igniting the flame.
- If using matches for ignition, light the match first before switching on the gas supply.
- If the budget is not a limitation, buy hobs with auto cut-off device for gas supply. The auto cut-off take cares of mis-fire during ignition and in more advanced hobs, if a flame is extinguished while the burner is in use, the gas supply is cut off. Such type of hobs are quite expensive and cost upwards of 30K-40K rupees.
- The users must understand that the PNG is natural gas and is lighter than air, so it rises up and much easier and quicker to clear from the kitchen. Also, PNG is supplied at a very low pressure, so the spread of gas is slower as compared to gas leak from pressurised cylinders.
- The LPG cylinders have propane+butane mix at a pressure of about 12-15 bars. The gas is heavier than air and if leaks, it will settle down near the floor. A leak from this system will result in spreading over a larger area. Both types of gases are highly flammable and require a very low energy spark to ignite the gas+air mixture.
- Never ever switch on any electric equipment if a gas leak is detected.
- The hose has an expiry date mentioned on it, make sure to replace the hose from the gas supply company and never opt to buy from local vendors.
- The pressure regulators used for LPG cylinders have rubber seal rings which tend to become hard and develop cracks over a period of time, make sure to replace the rubber seals atleast every 5 years.
- For PNG users, do notice the size of the flame for all your burners and monthly gas consumption record must be maintained. An increase in the size of flame for the same burner, or an increased consumption means the seals for the regulator have worn out and may fail in future. Failed seals will result in much higher gas pressure/supply to the burners.
- There are seals on the knobs of the hobs, a 5-yearly interval for replacement is reasonable to prevent any leaks from the burner gas supply systems. Propagation of flame upto the knob is an indication that there is a leak from the burner gas supply piping on the hob.
- Whenever you leave home for local trips, turn off the gas supply from the regulator (for gas cylinders), close the valve on the supply pipe (for piped gas users) near the hob. For long trips away from home make sure to disconnect the regulator from the cylinder. Piped gas users must ensure the supply line valve for the meter is closed.

Fire in chimneys/kitchen hoods: Lots of households use chimneys these days, however the level of understanding regarding the fire hazards associated with lack of proper cleaning of the chimneys is poor. The vapours from the oil along with evaporated water tend to accumulate in the filters, internal components of the chimney and the duct (where used). Over a period of time this has a potential to ignite and cause a serious fire. The best way to prevent a fire in the chimney is to take proper care of the filters. The filters must be cleaned on weekly basis, which will help to prevent carry over of the oily vapours to the duct. The internals of the chimney must be cleaned regularly. In side the chimney, there is a fan and motor assembly where you can see accumulation of oil. Monthly cleaning of this accumulated oil will considerably reduce the fire risk.

While I started preparing this thread, there has been a major fire incident in my town on 18 April 2023. Orion business park on Ghodbunder road, Thane, suffered a major fire incident. Ironically TMC is promoting fire safety and this week is the fire safety awareness week for the citizens of Thane, organised by the fire department. I Am Attaching the Fire safety at Home pamphlet from the fire department.

Measures to reduce damages due to fire:

Use fire detectors at your home. Fire detectors are available for smoke, flame, fixed temperature and rate of rise of temperature. Smart fire detectors are available with Wi-Fi connectivity and can give notifications on your smartphones.

The apartment buildings these days are having sprinkler systems installed in the apartments usually with a bulb with an operating temperature of about 70 deg C. Individual houses can be fitted with the system however it will require additional pressure pump to be fitted.

Keep a fire extinguisher and a fire blanket at home. The most preferred type of fire extinguisher for homes is Dry Chemical Powder (DCP) fire extinguisher.

On the fire extinguisher, make sure to check the pressure on the pressure gauge to be in the green zone, if in red, it needs to be recharged. Every three months make sure to shake the extinguisher to stir the powder. The powder has affinity to moisture and is prone to caking, stirring the extinguisher will help avoiding caking. Service the extinguisher every two years or as per the scheduled service date mentioned on the extinguisher.

Read the operating instructions on the extinguisher and get familiarised with the operating procedure.

Fire sensors, if fitted, must be tested every three months to confirm their condition.

Make sure to have a bag/briefcase/box handy with the following important items in it, for carrying it in case the house needs to be evacuated:

aa) Property documents
bb) Insurance documents
cc) Any valuable items if kept at home
dd) Originals or Copies of all government issued documents
ee) Bank account passbooks and/or other documents
ff) Any other important documents

People living in high rise buildings must avoid invisible or full sized grills on the windows. It will delay the assistance available for you to evacuate if got stuck. For invisible grills, you can keep cutting pliers handy for cutting the wire rope in case of emergency.

Find some time to visit the nearest fire station in your locality and speak to the fire fighters. You will get to know how well they are equipped to assist you in case it is required. Your doubts will be answered to your satisfaction and you will be happy to know, that our government has equipped our fire department well and there are officers who are committed to their profession.

Please note that for any assistance to reach you, there will be a time delay, and the tips and ideas given above will help to avoid such situations and you will surely know what needs to be done till the help arrives.

In the year 2015 or may be 2016 a very small hill forest caught fire during the month of May, we are a society of two buildings sharing the boundary with this forest, we informed the fire department and started fighting the fire by forming a team of the residents. The effort was appreciated by the fire department because the fire could have spread and might have affected the buildings.

The fire department too underestimated the situation and came with a small fire tender having a hose length which could not reach the seat of fire. A timely action helped avoid a major fire that could have affected the buildings on one side and slums on the other.

2. Injuries to people (slips/trips/falls)

Due to various materials available for enhancing the aesthetics of the interiors, the risk for injuries to the people has increased.

Mirror finished floors in the living rooms, kitchens, bedrooms etc pose a high risk for slips and injuries.

To prevent slipping on dry floor, its better to wear anti-skid socks (applicable to elderly people in the house)

While cleaning/mopping the floors make sure no one is moving around the house.

If moving around cannot be avoided, do not hasten and take short steps while moving.

Never rush or run around in the house with smooth finished floors.

Bathroom floors tend to get slippery while taking bath and a pose a high risk for serious injuries.

Never ever be in rush while using bathrooms.

Move around with short steps and never try to overstretch/overreach in a bathroom. I myself once slipped in the bathroom while I tried to overreach, fortunately I had minor injury to my bum, however one plastic tub was shattered to pieces due to the force of the fall.

Use anti-skid mats in bathrooms if possible, however the mats need regular cleaning as they tend to accumulate mould underneath.

The furniture in the house can cause minor to serious injuries. Go for round/smooth edged furniture preferably using veneer. Furniture made with laminate has better finish and requires less maintenance, however the edges are sharp. Some people go for laminated furniture with rounded wooden edges which is safe but requires polishing at regular intervals.

3. Locks for the main and internal doors including bathrooms

Locks for the doors of a house play an important part in our daily activity.

Prefer to go for a set of locks which have one master key. Lock sets are available where the main door has a separate key, and keys for the bedrooms serve as master keys and can open all doors including the main door. Highly recommended for apartments where one key is given to the domestic help for working in the house when owners are away.

The above can be done by just changing the cylinders for the locks.

keep the keys for the bedroom doors in a common room, like living room or kitchen etc. Once around early evening, a neighbor's child locked the bedroom door from inside and went to sleep, the family panicked because the door could not be opened and any amount of shouting or banging the door did not wake up the kid. Since the apartment was on 2nd floor and the sliding window was open, entry could be made from the window and the door could be unlocked.

Bathroom door locks is one of my favourite topic to discuss about door lock related safety.

For bathroom doors, never ever install locks with keys required for opening from outside. Lock cylinders are available with slotted blank on the outside. In case of emergency the lock can be opened using a screw driver or a coin. Look for locks which have some arrangement for opening the lock from outside. Never ever install any tower bolt or aldrop for locking bathroom doors from inside.

If any one slips and becomes unconscious in a bathroom, assistance can be provided immediately by opening the door if the above type of locking system is used. A neighbour's elderly father slipped and fell down in the bathroom, they could open the door because there was no key lock or any aldrop/tower bolt locking system in use.

4. Locking yourself out: People do get locked outside the house and its quite an expensive and time consuming affair to unlock/break the locks. In most incidents, people lock themselves out when they are not going away, but step out of the house/apartment for a few moments and the door closes due to breeze etc.

Always have a set of keys with a friend, relative or a neighbour staying close by.

Keep the house keys in/with a bag or wallet without which you will never step out.

The door latches come with locking feature, to switch off the latch. make sure to use that if the door is opened for a short period and you will be moving in and out regularly.

Make sure to use hold back arrangement for doors if kept open while people are moving in/out regularly.

In any case its best to take the key with you whenever you step out of the home even if its just for a very short period.

People sometimes get locked outside in balconies, outside windows where sliding doors are fitted. Rather than using spring loaded locks, use manual on/off locking arrangement for sliding windows and doors. Manual locks prevent accidental locking of the sliding doors/windows.

In case the sliding shutters have spring loaded locking mechanism, always carry your phone with you in case you are going to the balcony or for cleaning the sliding windows, or make sure someone is always in the house to help you if you get locked outside.

I came across an incident where in a lady got locked out in the balcony of her flat in a high rise building. Fortunately for her, her husband was working in the same area and was called by the society office to come for her rescue. In a worst case the main and safety door locks would need to be broken to rescue and individual stuck in such a scenario.

5. Medical emergencies:

I am sure there will be lot of information with the members from the medical profession about this section. I have limited knowledge about this topic, and request the medical professionals to add their valuable suggestions.

Please note that timely first aid can help reduce/delay the effects of medical emergencies.

Medical emergencies can basically be divided in to two broad categories:

1. Life threatening injuries
2. Triggering of life threatening conditions related to malfunction of various organs or bodily functions

For both the cases try to educate yourself for providing first-aid which can help buy more time until professional treatment can be arranged.

Red cross society conducts first aid courses with various levels of expertise. If possible do a basic first aid course and educate yourself to help save lives in various situations at home, at work or wherever it may be required.

I administered first aid to one drunk motorcyclist early morning at the Mulund side of the Airoil-Mulund bridge somewhere in the year 2001. I was on my morning jog when a guy riding under the influence of alcohol, lost consciousness and fell down on the road. With help of a few people we put him in recovery position, stopped bleeding and managed to get him to hospital. There used to be scarce traffic on this route those days, so finding transport took some time.

Following are a few links where you can find some information about how to give first aid for various conditions. You can find lots of information on the internet but make sure the source is reliable.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/tests-and...cies/first-aid

https://www.verywellhealth.com/basic...edures-1298578

https://www.redcross.org/take-a-clas...irst-aid-steps

https://www.indianredcross.org/fmr/Module2.pdf

In any case, keep the phone numbers for hospitals, doctors and ambulances handy so that necessary arrangements can be made well in time.

Addressing the biggest concern, how compliant is my house to what I have proposed so far?

Honestly about 60% to 70%, reason, resistance from family members, the thoughts about these concerns are considered negative and paranoid mindset, lack of awareness and education.

Please note, protect yourself to protect your loved ones. A person can save others only if he himself is safe.

Request the esteemed members to correct where ever required and add in your valuable tips and ideas to help create safer homes and reduce anxious moments & unnecessary stress.

Be safe, stay safe.

Thank you

Cheers.

Last edited by Brumby : 30th April 2023 at 09:09.
Brumby is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 04:37   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Home safety - Ideas to increase the safety of your home

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 17:51   #3
BHPian

I realised that I have missed out on attaching the fire safety pamphlet.

Its in Hindi but the graphics are self explanatory.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fire safety.pdf (2.35 MB, 74 views)
Brumby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 10:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
I was searching the forum for tips and ideas to increase the safety of our homes and for the individuals staying in, but could not find any thread covering the topics. I will not cover the issues related to security as that has already been covered in another thread.
Thank you for making a detailed post about this topic.
Fire Safety is indeed important and should not be taken for granted. I have seen people doing stuffs which is not good but their argument is that it costs cheap for example, When the electrician from electricity department came to our house for the purpose of installing electricity meter outside the house they cut all the wires but never were bothered to fix the earthing one, indeed their JEE says that it is just an extra wire and is not needed to be wired, I was thinking for a moment this is their higher ranking official and they are saying like this seriously.

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd May 2023 at 11:46. Reason: Please avoid quoting a full long post. Thank you!
Rishu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks