Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2023, 11:27   #46
BHPian

Re: Reading glasses and progressive lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
P.S
Kindly bear in mind to not start viewing intermediate and distance vision using your near vision glasses.
As, you will not need that much of a power as your reading and slowly you would get used to seeing through them and unnecessarily get used to the same.

Ditch it all and get just one pair and rightly made. Rather than buying multiple pairs. Also ponder about the strategy.
Thanks a lot, this is very useful.
diablo29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 11:33   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo29 View Post
Thanks a lot, this is very useful.
Also, for your computer distance, you should not be using your reading glasses.
Computer screen is at intermediate distance and the power would be lesser.

Check the image, it is all separate.
beejay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 20:22   #48
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I'm going for my eye test soon - I'm in the target group of 40+ year olds for whom progressives seem to be the most commonly prescribed and recommended glasses these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedocgb View Post
My opinion,if you use computers for more than a couple of hours daily and if you need distance vision correction too, go for progressive lenses. The justification of changes every couple of years, hence you shouldn't go for progressives doesn't hold good...it's more a mental ponzi scheme -to save money- while denying the very part (that helps you read on this forum) the best option.
Some of the terms that best describe my situation with respect to my vision were "felt normal" and "overconfident". Yes, I knew I had some trouble reading small print on labels, but for the most part I did feel very normal My daily routine includes reading the newspaper and working long hours on the computer and I was able to do all this without any issue. Finally, last week I decided not to postpone getting my eyes tested anymore and then came the real moment of truth - a mix of shortsightedness, longsightedness, astigmatism!

A friend referred me to the Zeiss store where he'd had a good experience for his glasses, and indeed it was a wonderful experience for me as well. They had some great testing equipment, excellent trained staff and some great frames, and did not try to oversell/up-sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailash343 View Post
Being an eye surgeon, few things to note.
I decided to go for a large full frame to get a better field of view (though it looks a bit oversized), and in the adaptation phase currently. This thread was an eye-opener for me and it coincided with my decision to go for the eye test.

Thanks for your very useful pointers on adaptation!

Last edited by NPV : 6th May 2023 at 20:25.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 21:48   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
This thread is right in time for me.

A have been having slight difficulty in reading small fonts on phone and doctor a few years back asked me to continue as long as I can without reading glasses and then go for reading glasses once it becomes difficult to read.

That time has come now. I am planning to visit eye doctor/optician in a week or so and thankfully my insurance covers glasses with generous coverage (I believe till Rs 40k).

Si
Got my progressive glasses today, finally (Procrastination)
Summarizing my thoughts, may be others will find it useful.

1. Went to an ophthalmologist for prescription. They first did the "normal" vision test without dilation
2. They then recommended one with dilation also, which I did, same visit.
3. They asked me to come again once dilation is not there and told they will do one final test, without dilation and then prescribe
4. Final difference between dilated and non-dilated tests was +/-0.25 at most ( I had both cylindrical/spherical/near/short sightedness and to my surprise, short sightedness has become less worse!)
5 They suggested progressive lenses, a couple of relatives had suggested the same.

I ordered progressive lens online (lenskart), after watching a few videos which mentioned try to keep lens vertically at least 28mm and don't choose a sleek frame to improve chances of adjusting faster. Ordered relatively cheap ones (but one of bestsellers) at Rs 6.5k (after 50% 2nd Oct discount, don't know if that was a gimmick or not)

I was a bit worried as couple of colleagues had mentioned they could never get adjusted to progressive.

As soon as they arrived, I started using them. To my surprise, I find them very good. I immediately could drive with those during night, both dashboard and road (far side) vision was good, no issues at all. If at all I can say, I need to adjust my angle of reading a bit (to look through lower part of the lens )but looks like I will get used to that very soon. I am able to read newspaper, small font on mobile etc.

Initial impression is very good, considering everything was online. Will keep posted but I am seeing crisp fonts on monitor and phone after a long time and enjoying it.

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 7th October 2023 at 21:50.
Old 15th November 2023, 19:00   #50
Oxy
BHPian

Got an eye test done, and as it turns out, I need progressives made for myself. I am 44 and this is going to be my first experience with progressive lenses.

I need to understand if it is worth paying extra to get the "Variable Corridor" feature. Basically I am torn between the Zeiss Light 3D and the Light 3Dv models.

Really appreciate all the suggestions here, thanks!
Old 15th November 2023, 19:30   #51
Team-BHP Support

Around last year, I started wearing reading glasses with +1.

These are very useful when I am working on my laptop.
But in office, I use a large monitor and my laptop screen for a dual monitor experience.

This results in a funny problem. I dont need glasses for the monitor but need them for my laptop and phone.

Will it make sense to get progressives but with zero power for the top part and +1 for the lower part?
Old 21st November 2023, 08:57   #52
BHPian

Thank you for yet another fabulous thread, and yet another topic under the sun that is dealt with in detail here.

1. I have had distance vision for the last 15 years ( courtesy my IT job, before which I had no trouble with my eyesight ). It's a minimal vision problem of -0.5 (R) and -0.25(L) and for most parts, it has not changed much.
2. Over the last 2-3 years, my eyes were getting very very tired ( despite breaks, eye exercises etc ) after a couple of hours at work, so much so that my productivity started to drop ( from a person that worked 18 hours for months on without any discomfort to someone that struggled after a couple of hours). Needless to say, this time, my test results showed that I have near vision problem as well ( -0.5 in each eye ). I have not had trouble reading though ( i.e. I can see the letters quite clearly ), the problem is my eyes get tired after a bit of reading.
3. I drive quite a lot and I work at the computer quite a lot ( guess, that should be nearly all of us really on this forum ). I was asked to use a progressive lens to address both issues. The glasses shown ranged from 3.5k to 70k, with the person recommending the ones above 25k as being a nice balance.
4. In general, I see that most progressive lens cut out peripheral vision when you are driving, which is dangerous on Indian roads, with so many people overtaking with a few mm gap and without any honking etc. So I'm terrified of going with a progressive lens ( even the best ones seem to cut out some peripheral vision).
5. My next alternative is to have 2 glasses, a distance vision glass for driving and a progressive (even a cheaper one might do ) for work and other non-driving engagements. How feasible is this, will the eye be able to switch between the two setups seamlessly? I read most posts above, and seems no one clear way out here, but still I would like to get an answer or two to my predicament.
6. I didn't know that there was something as "intermediate" vision (e.g, computer reading). I don't read as much as I use the computer, so if I prefer to keep 2 glasses, should I go for a progressive and distance sets or intermediate and distance sets?

Last edited by airguitar : 21st November 2023 at 09:11.
Old 21st November 2023, 10:23   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Thank you for yet another fabulous thread, and yet another topic under the sun that is dealt with in detail here.
I have been wearing Progressive for the last 20 years + and can answer some of the questions raised

1. Use of multiple glasses - Typically we used to see this a long time back when our grandfathers would use 2 glasses - one for reading and one for far vision. This was then replaced by bifocals wherein you had a clear distinction in the same glasses - the upper part was for far vision and the lower for reading - we used to call these Soda glasses. Nowadays - with the usage of computers and digital devices being ubiquitous, progressive is the way to go wherein the vision changes gradually from far - to medium - to near.

2. Progressive lenses have been plagued with blurriness, naus,ea etc. Peripheral vision distortion is another big issue that people talk about. All this may happen (the key word being May) but once you get used to your new lens, this will go away. I have been wearing progressive lenses and throughout this period have driven in cities like Bangalore, Mumbai, etc with zero vision distortion and accidents.

3. Progressive is expensive. My lenses typically cost around 20k or so - I prefer Carl Zeiss and I have it with anti-glare coating, photochromatic as well. I cannot wear sun glasses and I love them - so had to find a way in between. My spend on frames is much much less, within 5k. And I don't change my lenses within a year. Typically, I find power changes across 3 to 4 years. So an investment of about 25k across 4 years in perfectly fine I feel.

4. I also keep inexpensive reading glasses as back up in case my main glasses break. I read a lot and therefore need a backup and this costs me about 3 to 4k. No expensive lenses, just the basics.

5. I would not recommend the switchero between near and far, especially in our digital age. Progressive does make a difference
subraiyr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 11:22   #54
BHPian

My father (67) and has been recommended Progressive lenses for the first time by the Ophthalmologist; he's been wearing bifocal specs now for almost 15 years. My mother (58) was recommended Progressive lenses last year and it took her a while to get adjusted, with some disorientation, misjudgement, headache etc as after-effects for a bit once she started wearing those; she used to wear only reading glasses till then. Father is hence scared to shift to Progressive lenses. Any tips from the experts here? For the record, all of us in the family use only Crizal lenses for our specs since the last 2 years, considering increased mobile/television/computer usage etc especially since Covid phase.
Old 21st November 2023, 13:19   #55
Oxy
BHPian

I will be using progressives for the very first time, so I did not want to spend much because I didn't want to spend a lot and later realize I just cannot get used to it.

Researched a bit and came across these lenses called Aussen Ultra Blend (https://www.aussenlens.com/). Seems good enough for about 8.5k (for the basic 1.50 index with blue block filter).

It's supposed to have a wider corridor compared to Zeiss and Essilor, which are quite expensive. Have given my old half frame to fit the lenses in. Hopefully the fitting would be just right, fingers crossed.
Old 1st December 2023, 09:01   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I will be using progressives for the very first time, so I did not want to spend much because I didn't want to spend a lot and later realize I just cannot get used to it.

Researched a bit and came across these lenses called Aussen Ultra Blend (https://www.aussenlens.com/). Seems good enough for about 8.5k (for the basic 1.50 index with blue block filter).

It's supposed to have a wider corridor compared to Zeiss and Essilor, which are quite expensive. Have given my old half frame to fit the lenses in. Hopefully the fitting would be just right, fingers crossed.
Hello, did you got the new glasses? How has been the experience? I am in the same boat. Need to switch to progressive but unsure if I should go for the expensive ones straight away.

Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 09:42   #57
BHPian

I have been using progressive glasses past 15 yrs and would say” it’s worth to invest in best quality glasses from reputed brand”.

For some reason earlier I went for lower quality glasses which did not cover larger frame. I struggled the most while reversing car . Then I turned to the highest quality glasses ‘HOYA’ made and my life changed after that.

BTW, I also use cheap progressive glasses bought from famous Kalbadevi market as one of my relatives suggested. I also managed to get certificate of famous brand but trust me the difference is like Chalk and Cheese!! I have kept them as an emergency glasses.
Satkaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 15:03   #58
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post
Hello, did you got the new glasses? How has been the experience? I am in the same boat. Need to switch to progressive but unsure if I should go for the expensive ones straight away.

Thanks
They arrived just now. I honestly don't know what to make of it. Feels weird. Maybe because it's my first experience with progressives. Hopefully things will smoothen out with time.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 07:47   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
They arrived just now. I honestly don't know what to make of it. Feels weird. Maybe because it's my first experience with progressives. Hopefully things will smoothen out with time.
I finally decided to go for the better quality progressives as my first progressive lense. Essilor varilux with protective coatings. Just got it and the first impression on the laptop is pretty good. It is odd wearing these vs. my usual single power glasses. The power changes as you look from different part of the lense.

I'll share more updates as I get used to it.

Thanks everyone on this thread who have shared their views on this topic
Old 16th December 2023, 13:48   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post
It is odd wearing these vs. my usual single power glasses. The power changes as you look from different part of the lense.
As you might be aware, it is because of the progression of the 3 focals, distance, intermediate and near. I hope the optician had measured your PD and other parameters required for progressive lenes.

The easiest way to get used is to point the tip of your nose towards what you want to view.
Fex: Pointing your nose to the mobile, gives you the corridor for near, to the computer screen for intermediate and towards the windscreen for distance.

Please note, even if the lenses are not centred right, you would get accustomed to the corridors at different power requirement, which might not be a good thing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks