Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2023, 13:48   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Jaspal Bhatti wit, sense of humour and slapstick comedy thread

Thespian and entertainer Jaspal Singh Bhatti (3 March 1955 – 25 October 2012) was among the most well known satirist and Indian television personality known for his frontal attack on topical societal issues like red tapism, nepotism and corruption. The entertainer was witty, comic and very awakening for the viewers. His satirical take on the problems of the common man were very well taken and appreciated, winning him accolades for his instant audience connect from across the nation. His comedy clippings/ serials were aired on Doordarshan in the pre-cable TV era, since around 1987 till the early 1990's. It started with the his short clippings "Ulta Pulta" followed by "The Flop Show" and "Full Tension". He carried out various anti corruption crusades in his hometown Chandigarh. Post the cable TV onslaught the comedian starred in quite many TV shows of private channels and had also acted in a few films.

The Jaspal Bhatti wit, sense of humour and slapstick comedy thread-jaspal-bhatti.jpg

On that fateful 24-25 October 2012 intervening night, Jaspal Bhatti was going to attend a programme for the release of his film "Power Cut" in Jalandhar on his Honda Accord. The car was being driven by his son Jasraj who was starring in the film, when it crashed en-route at Shahkot (Jalandhar dist) with a roadside tree.

In 2013 post his tragic death in a car accident in 2012, he was (posthumously) honoured with the Padma Bhushan, India's third-highest civilian award.

The late thespian's wife Savita Bhatti organises the 'Jaspal Bhatti Humor Festival' every year on his birth anniversary (3rd March) in Chandigarh.

We will remember Jaspal Bhatti through his superb audience connect, body gestures, unique wit, word play, acting and depiction of funny characters through his slapstick comedy and great sense of humour.

To start with, I am sharing the link of a humorous Punjabi comedy show " Jaspal Bhatti and Ghuggi Comedy":-

https://fb.watch/kAhUPimZH9/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Next, the link below is from his comedy serial Full Tension:

As a fake police officer in Full Tension:-

There is already a sombre thread that paid tributes to the thespian upon his passing away:-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...al-bhatti.html (The "FLOP SHOW" is over R.I.P Jaspal Bhatti)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th May 2023 at 14:04.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (43) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 15:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Jaspal Bhatti wit, sense of humour and slapstick comedy thread

Another comedy flick about a street vendor turning into a crorepati through his initial public offering (IPO) with sagacious and "very profitable " advice from CA Jaspal Bhatti.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th May 2023 at 15:49.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 15:52   #3
BHPian

He was, is and will be my most favorite comedian/humorist. As a 90s kid, I watched almost all episodes of "The Flop Show" and was my earliest intro into speaking in Hindi. His diction of grammatically perfect Hindi delivered with a serious face and no background music added to the beauty of serial. In the golden era of DD, his was one show which abounded in creativity apart from few other serials like Kirdaar and Mungeri Lal ke haseen Sapne. This was before hideous make up and BS story line era of Ekta Kapoor. His transition into Movies was a Flop show as his roles did not take off. This was a good thing since he was not really built for physical comedy which was what was demanded then.

IIRC, he also contested elections once and gave a party after loosing. He once said "Serious comedy comes from serious thinking" and i agree.

Last edited by srini1785 : 17th May 2023 at 15:56.
srini1785 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 17:02   #4
BHPian

His Wife, Savita Bhatti also used to act in 'The Flop Show'. I really loved the absurdity of the songs and especially the theme song. He was really a man ahead of his time.

Also having spent my childhood in Tri-City, it's fun seeing how the Tri-city looked like in my childhood
lancia_fanboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 20:42   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A very much liked and discussed Flop Show episode that was both satirical snd hard hitting for a different class of PhD scholars and their guides. The entertainer's contention was that such PhD scholars have done more service for their guides rather than science.

anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 21:38   #6
BHPian

I really liked the landline telephone episode. This episode was very relatable to the landline phone wait time in India.
bobbyblr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 22:40   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Most of his satire remains as relevant today as it was 30 years back.

I am reminded of this episode everytime I am stuck in a meeting

Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 10:52   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a classic- Jaspal Bhatti collaborating with Gurpreet Ghuggi in this flick Jijaji -Part II:-

(Please click the YouTube link to view.
The link of this flick on the OP didn't show the beginning )

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th May 2023 at 10:54.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 14:10   #9
BHPian

Mr. Bhatti was, is and will be a legend forever. His satirical takes on all aspects concerning middle class are still relevant even today. In movies, my personal favorite is his take on Punjab Police in the movie "Mahaul Theek Hai" followed by Jijaji. Also, another underrated gem is his take on Tuitions and coaching institutes through his serial "Professor Money Plant", a comedy serial which didn't get the publicity and praise it deserved.
TSIched'Out is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 09:31   #10
Team-BHP Support

There was a movie called Shah Ji Ki Advice.

A superb take on Indians providing free advice. When he gives it free no one takes it And when he starts charging for the same, people start taking it! It was so funny and so real. That was Jaspal Bhatti!

I will definitely remember Ulta-Pulta and Flop Show till my years!
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 10:47   #11

Mr. Bhatti was actually a batch mate of my Father in Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh. He joined B.tech Electrical in 1974 and I often hear his stories from my father.
He was a popular comedian and used to be the MC for almost all the college events during his 3rd and 4th year of engineering.
RaiVW is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 11:01   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

For uncontrollable laughter here's a 1 hour 42 minute show "Jijaji":-

(Please click the you tube URL to view)
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 12:18   #13
BHPian

Bhatti was one great creative personality who introduced my generation to satires and creative laughter. He had such a pleasing on screen personality that evoked sympathy from the audience instantly.
fawad0222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 12:34   #14
BHPian

What an absolute legend Mr Bhatti was. Many of his shows still ring a bell with the ground realities we face till today.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd May 2023 at 07:14. Reason: Typo
mkaysaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 14:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Clean, slick humour, master of sarcasm with a poker face. A legend whose work continues to stay relevant like R K Lakshman's.

I have fond memories of the entire extended family rolling with laughter during his shows on Doordarshan, that too folks with just a passing knowledge of Hindi.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd May 2023 at 07:15. Reason: Punctuation.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks