Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How would you like to see Team-BHP help members get justice?
Have a dedicated team to file cases against common issues by taking voluntary contribution/monthly subscription 3 2.40%
Offer a dedicated team of experts/lawyers to help file complains in consumer forums or courts if the member foots the bill 8 6.40%
Both option A & B 26 20.80%
I would like Team-BHP to only remain a forum for discussions and reviews. 88 70.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2023, 23:01   #1
BHPian

Unexplored areas that Team-BHP can venture into

Based on a discussion we had on another thread, I wanted to start a poll on Team-BHP to see what members think of possible ways forum members could collaborate to bring about a positive change in our country in regards to Motor vehicle rules, automotive laws etc.

Team-BHP is one of the most eminent and respected forums in India. The articles, reviews, feedback, suggestions posted on Team-BHP get wide coverage across news portals and social media. Is it time for the Forum to take the lead in providing representation to members and the community in changing the current automobile scenario in India?

Mods please delete this poll if you feel this is not something you'd like to see member's opinions on (since this is a poll about Team-BHP itself). But this is just a poll to gauge members thoughts, feelings, needs and I see no harm in finding out what members want out of this forum. I see a lot of people wishing something was done and this is my attempt to initiate a discussion and get a pulse on actually how many want this forum to be a medium that puts efforts in improving the current conditions in our country.

Last edited by Zippy_wheels : 20th October 2023 at 23:06.
Zippy_wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 23:58   #2
BHPian

Re: Unexplored areas that Team-BHP can venture into

Even though I am a BHPian, I still consider myself a newbie in the community. I would like it to remain the same due to the following reasons:-

- TBHP is always against any monetary system so I don’t see it happening anytime.

- What you are discussing here is PIL and the another thread which you are referring to cannot generate the outcome which we all want. Reason already given here. (Gurgaon Advocate files case against Govt officials for banning 10-15 year old cars)

- Suppose people voluntarily contribute and the result of the case doesn’t come in favour of us it would create absolute chaos. There will be some who would blame that due diligence was not done while selecting representative lawyers.

- Another important aspect is collection and utilisation of the Funds. Even if people pool in, how are Mods going to account for the expenditure? From what I see they already have their hands full.

- As for the Automotive Rules and Regulations of the country, these are decided by the Executives of our country. We don’t have “Citizens Initiative” which some democratic countries have and thus are bound to follow which they decide are apt.

Last edited by ex-innova-guy : 21st October 2023 at 00:00.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 00:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

In its current form I don’t think that can be done. In order for TeamBHp or any other forum or social media group to take a formal stand it needs to be a formal organisation that represent its members.

It would take more than a contribution I would think. You are looking at transforming it into some sort of official organisation, eg something like a society or a formalised club. With formal rules, regulations, elected representatives and so on.

I have sat on boards of various car organisations that lobby the government and authorities. All of the board members were chosen by the (paying) members and we had to provide detailed feed back and get approval on the policy proposals we were going to pursue.

It’s not much different than a political party. You need to know what they stand for. And the members typically approve and have a lot of say over the party program and so on.

I am sympathetic to your idea, but I prefer TeamBHP in its current form.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 21st October 2023 at 00:08.
Jeroen is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 00:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Admins and mods here are passionate about automobiles and run a forum. It is an extremely tough job to run a forum with the high number of messages being added daily.

Option A and B are the domains for lawyers and law firms.

I am not sure if the mods can take out additional time to be Saul Goodman.
PaddleShifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 07:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

I had another idea, dont know how feasible it will be.

It was to tie up with BNCAP and get tested vehicles which otherwise wouldn't reach their doors.

Since BNCAP is voluntary, many many models might never reach them.

If we could start a Go Fund Me kind of a setup for every vehicle we want to get tested. Once we reach the point where the goal is reached, we purchase the car, pay BNCAP and deliver it to them.

Easier said than done, but if its doable, it would be a big big help to many.
Old 21st October 2023, 08:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would like the forum to remain as it is- i.e. a place to discuss anything that moves on wheels/circular motion, even if some vehicles go into the air eventually or have propeller shafts that impel water around!

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 21st October 2023 at 08:45.
Old 21st October 2023, 09:46   #7
BHPian

Although I understand and respect views of some of the members who want to not experiment much, but I think community has so much of collective knowledge, experiences and insights that exploring what else is not that bad an idea. If we don't want to get into legal wrangling, is there anything else we can do? Just a thought, maybe forming a representative body to share opinions and or consulting to transport ministry and other legal bodies? Not sure about pros and cons about this or even whether it is possible?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th October 2023 at 09:50. Reason: typos.
SamDiablo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 16:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Admins and mods here are passionate about automobiles and run a forum. It is an extremely tough job to run a forum with the high number of messages being added daily.

The intention was not exactly the mods doing the heavy lifting.

I just started a conversation on what initiatives could be taken to try to bring about a positive change in our country, with this forum being a part of the solution.

Mods, just like everyone else, go through the same issues we all face. If this forum could facilitate any such initiative, it would help a lot.

Everyone wants something to be done about it, but just voicing our concerns, typing pages and pages of opinions and possible solutions is not going to get us very far. All other stakeholders have adequate representation to bully consumers into submission. The govt has its departments and cops, the automobile industry has associations and lobby groups. We are just keyboard warriors. Ultimately they might be a little embarrassed, lose a bit of sales and reputation, but they too know no one here has the power to actually do something about it - so while they may bow down and address for small issues, they will not bother much about what we opine here when it comes to major issues. We need to walk the talk.

These people know, at best, we can currently just make some noise but when push comes to shove, there is no one standing to take them on.

I dont mean for team-bhp mods to take up the mantle. I know they have enough on their plate. But they manage one of India's biggest voice in this industry. If some initiative could be taken here to just initiate a way forward - it would be a big step.

What it ultimately morps into is something that can be decided by stakeholders at a later time. It can range from full blown service, to just linking up victims to appropriate channels where assistance can be sought. Maybe keep an oversight on funds and collate common causes that are worth fighting for.

All I am saying is the level of involvement does not need to be decided now. One step at a time and evaluate and course correct as we go. Do we keep suffering or use the collective membership available here to thrash out ideas and try to bring about a change?
Zippy_wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 17:17   #9

Sounds like a dangerous proposition that could in the worst case land the admins in serious trouble.

What OP is suggesting effectively involves creating an NGO that collects funds to take on powerful entities ranging from multi-billion conglomerates, regulatory bodies, governmental organizations and in some cases directly the state or central government. IMO, TBHP can do more by remainung an unbiased source of information that indirectly aids in such movements.
Noctis is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 18:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
In its current form I don’t think that can be done. In order for TeamBHp or any other forum or social media group to take a formal stand it needs to be a formal organisation that represent its members.

It would take more than a contribution I would think. You are looking at transforming it into some sort of official organisation, eg something like a society or a formalised club. With formal rules, regulations, elected representatives and so on.

I have sat on boards of various car organisations that lobby the government and authorities. All of the board members were chosen by the (paying) members and we had to provide detailed feed back and get approval on the policy proposals we were going to pursue.

It’s not much different than a political party. You need to know what they stand for. And the members typically approve and have a lot of say over the party program and so on.

I am sympathetic to your idea, but I prefer TeamBHP in its current form.

Jeroen
Thanks for your valuable inputs! Maybe, you being a senior and well respected member, could also suggest some other initiatives that we could perhaps take instead? Just baby steps, I guess, for starters.
Examples could be:-

A classifields section with links and reviews for lawyers/law firms/orgs in different cities who can offer their services and people can put in reviews to help others.

Maybe invite emminent and experienced lawyers, industry veterans etc. who could write articles to guide people through the complicated and often obscure legal processes that one needs to undertake to get justice.

The options are unlimited I think, we just need to put our heads together to find solutions so many people seek.
Zippy_wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 18:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Dear Zippy_wheels, while I respect your passion and hope you get to see what you wish for here, I have nothing valuable to add regarding what you have mentioned (classified section etc.) as I am unable to think to that point due to lack of knowledge in this domain.

There is a thread regarding consultations by lawyers and CAs on team-BHP. I hope something similar can be sought where lawyers who are members here can guide members either as paid consultations or recommend a suitable lawyer from their circle:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ultations.html (Calling Lawyers & CAs on this forum to provide free consultations)
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 18:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy_wheels View Post
The options are unlimited I think, we just need to put our heads together to find solutions so many people seek.
Working against the government rules has its risks associated with it both personally and professionally for moderators of a forum. It's more than just sharing opinions.

Working for a lobbying consumer forum independent of TBHP is one option. If people groups, normally agendas arise and there will be a clash of interests.

In my opinion, TBHP should remain an independent auto forum irrespective of class/technology bias. It should not take the role of an activist.
greyhound82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 18:59   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy_wheels View Post
, could also suggest some other initiatives that we could perhaps take instead?
I think TeamBHP needs to stay close to its original and still current format. We already have threads on many topics related to, and also topics way outside the automotive industry.

My personal preference would be more technical, in depth, threads. Could be automotive of course, but could be anything else too. We have plenty of threads, but I am missing some in-depth technical knowledge. We have members from just about any (technical) discipline you could think of. So would be great if members started writing about their own field of expertise a bit more.

As soon as you start expecting a forum to be more than just an exchange of knowledge and opinions, it stops being a forum I think. You risk withering down on exactly those aspects that are of value and have made TeamBHP to what it is today.

Before you know it you become some sort of half baked consumer organisation. Nothing wrong with those, but they serve a very different purpose all toghether.

Let’s stick to our core values, exchange of knowledge, experience and healthy discussion on automotive related topics and anything that you care about sharing.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 20:16   #14

New member here. While I think both the ideas mentioned here are great, I dont think team-bhp should be the one directly involved. But I do think that having discussions of such PILs or other legal issues here might be useful in spreading the awareness and can even result in members who are interested to voluntarily contribute directly. Our country still treats cars like a luxury and there are many rules which I dont personally agree with. But those opinions may not be shared by the entire community.
Draken is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 21:59   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I think we have something unique here. I have lost count of the number of times I have seen people go out of their way to help out a fellow member in need (.. and it’s not always auto related!).

You can find a thread on almost any topic here with most viewpoints covered. The knowledge base is limitless, and still growing with member’s contributions. The information is all there for someone to use if they need it. Best of all, it’s open and accessible to everyone.

While the financial decisions are in the hands of Admins, personally speaking, I would want the forum to remain a discussion platform and not go into providing services etc.
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks