Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2007, 14:01   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
I am a different guy when on bikes
Now that you are a member I will wait for the day when you post on a biker menace thread or crib somewhere about how some idiotic biker cut across your car and damaged it (god forbid). Then I will take you back on this statement of yours.
Old 8th August 2007, 14:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

That is what happenned to Delhi hoardings few years back, after a court ruling all were pulled down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
But seriously, if listening to FM while driving is an offence then the same logic should be applied here as well. This will also potentially cause a distraction... and then the hoardings everywhere in city, what about them? So then the cops should start dismantling all the road signs, hoardings etc... This is reaching a ridiculous proportion now. .................................................. ..................I wonder how come courts are not taking notice of such arbitrary rulings!
Old 8th August 2007, 14:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Ok what's next?
Ban on all PYTs from the streets as they will distract the drivers!!!
Ban on installing ICE in automobiles!!!
Ban on using the speedometers and other gauges as this will take the drivers eyes off the road!!!
Ban on having co-passengers as they might distract you by talking!!!
Old 8th August 2007, 14:41   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
FM Radio causing distraction to drivers resulting in mishaps? What a load of crap!
Err... are we allowed to listen to music on AM, or even a CD?
What if the person travelling along with me decides to imitate some FM presenter?
Old 8th August 2007, 15:33   #20
S@S

Top Gear
gotta visit this link great article by clarkson somewhat related to the issue. makes a mockery of the system

Top Gear
Old 8th August 2007, 17:24   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My car's air-conditioner is so effective that it makes my car cosy enough to sleep in! Lets ban that as well.

Ridiculous article.
Old 9th August 2007, 22:21   #22
BHPian

diabloo dude, road signs are there to warn you of the traffic laws/dangers on the road. They are designed in a way that people driving at high speeds can read them and they are color coded to show the significance of that particular sign board. Why else would you need a 10 inch high letters on yellow boards to notify speed?

Anyway, here is my list of items that should be banned to make driving safe:

Quote:
1. Windshield wiper - obstructs drivers view when they are in action.
2. Rear view mirrors - allows you to see the PYT driving a car behind you and results in accidents
3. Widow glass - Should be replaced with tin foil or sheet metal. Transparent glass allows you peripheral vision which is dangerous when all you want to do is look ahead. Kind of like blinkers on a horse.
4. Brain - It should be made illegal for the driver to have a brain while driving. You can ban ICE, PYT's, TINT, Cell, FM, AM, CM, PM etc but you cannot ban a human from thinking. The driver could be dreaming of his gf/bf, the PYT at his/her office, family, finances etc which take attention away from driving. They should make it mandatory for all drivers to leave their brains at home or should bring a law to force god to make a switch that switches it off.
Old 10th August 2007, 00:20   #23
BANNED

Hey Man, where do you drive?? Where do you find such signs?? I rarely see one in all my drivings. In another thread our friend greatDrive missed a left turn to Nandi hills recently. Where is the sign?? If I dig for sign surely I will crash into somebody.
Talking about speed boards, I have found in all multiples of 5 between 10 & 80 on the same highway. Which one to pick? For proof travel on Bangalore-Mysore 4 lane highway. You find 20, 30 & 50 as speed limits at various obscure places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
diabloo dude, road signs are there to warn you of the traffic laws/dangers on the road. They are designed in a way that people driving at high speeds can read them and they are color coded to show the significance of that particular sign board. Why else would you need a 10 inch high letters on yellow boards to notify speed?

Anyway, here is my list of items that should be banned to make driving safe:
Old 10th August 2007, 02:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Man, where do you drive?? Where do you find such signs?? I rarely see one in all my drivings. In another thread our friend greatDrive missed a left turn to Nandi hills recently. Where is the sign?? If I dig for sign surely I will crash into somebody.
Very much in India ma man, very much in India. They may not all be in the right place but some are. You don't have to dig to look for signs, but if there is one in prominent view, read what it is saying and try to follow.

[/quote] Talking about speed boards, I have found in all multiples of 5 between 10 & 80 on the same highway. Which one to pick? For proof travel on Bangalore-Mysore 4 lane highway. You find 20, 30 & 50 as speed limits at various obscure places.[/quote]

20 where you find 20, 30 where it is 30 and 50 where it is 50. Just because it is the same stretch of road doesn't mean that the speed limits should be same. You may have a school in one area where you slow down and a vacant land at another where you can speed up.

Sign boards are there for providing information to the driver, what you chose to do with it is a different matter.
Old 10th August 2007, 07:53   #25
BANNED

You are doing in excess of 100. You should concentrate 100% on road. You can't afford to read in detail the signboards, advetisements, enjoy scenery, checkout whats on the pavements. If you want to do all these, slowdown & move to left lane or pullover. If you do that all at high speed, you will put lives at risk.

You gotto see it & believe it. The board says 50. After 50metres, the board again says 20. All these in middle of no here on a straight highway. I stop the car at board 20 and I am like why the hell is this board? No sign of any people for few KMs before & after. Why reduce speed??
Quote:
Very much in India ma man, very much in India. They may not all be in the right place but some are. You don't have to dig to look for signs, but if there is one in prominent view, read what it is saying and try to follow.

20 where you find 20, 30 where it is 30 and 50 where it is 50. Just because it is the same stretch of road doesn't mean that the speed limits should be same. You may have a school in one area where you slow down and a vacant land at another where you can speed up.

Sign boards are there for providing information to the driver, what you chose to do with it is a different matter.
Old 10th August 2007, 09:22   #26
BHPian

usually i hold my silence and try to learn from what the guru's speaketh. But this time I had to break my silence, to recommend this thread to be added to 'official joke thread'. ROFL
Old 10th August 2007, 14:12   #27
BHPian

As with many other things, I expect the "degree of distraction" varies from person to person. It might depend on how good a multitasker you are. I seldom play MP3 files while working on my PC because I find I can't concentrate on the job -- the music is a distraction. My wife, however, doesn't seem to have any such problem. I don't drive a car, but I have a feeling music will only affect my concentration. If you're anything like me, even talking to fellow passengers is inadvisable.
Old 10th August 2007, 21:38   #28
BHPian

Quote:
You are doing in excess of 100. You should concentrate 100% on road. You can't afford to read in detail the signboards, advetisements, enjoy scenery, checkout whats on the pavements. If you want to do all these, slowdown & move to left lane or pullover. If you do that all at high speed, you will put lives at risk.

You gotto see it & believe it. The board says 50. After 50metres, the board again says 20. All these in middle of no here on a straight highway. I stop the car at board 20 and I am like why the hell is this board? No sign of any people for few KMs before & after. Why reduce speed??
Right! Drive at 100 kmph on an empty stretch of highway at night and if you don't bother to see a road sign that tells you that the road will bend sharply ahead, you will end up plastered on a tree or a ditch. Signboards indicating road conditions are precisely for people who drive at high speeds. If you cannot do that, may be you shouldn't be driving at 100 kmph. You are only putting your life and others lives at risk if you don't pay attention to signboards. Why do you think rally drivers have navigators with them?

Second, traffic sign boards are different from advertisement boards. Know the difference.

About speed limits, like I said in earlier posts, it is upto you whether to follow them or not. If you do, you would be driving within 'legal' limits. If you don't, you can be ticketed. Whether speed limits make sense or not is a different issue altogather.
Old 10th August 2007, 21:54   #29
BANNED

Quote:
7. Reading sign boards (taking eyes off road) without slowing down
This is what I said. I never you should not notice traffic symbols. One glance on traffic symbol will tell what lies ahead. No need to read it. I said dont spend precious time reading advertisements, shop names, distance chart and other sign boards. Also add clicking photos while driving, to the list of forbidden activities.
Regarding speed limit: There are many sign post setup by police which are not updated. Assume there is a contruction activity on the road and hence there is a speed limit. After the construction is over, speed limit post should be removed. Sadly it is not done. Why follow a idiotic speed limit and cause nuisance on road???
Quote:
Right! Drive at 100 kmph on an empty stretch of highway at night and if you don't bother to see a road sign that tells you that the road will bend sharply ahead, you will end up plastered on a tree or a ditch. Signboards indicating road conditions are precisely for people who drive at high speeds. If you cannot do that, may be you shouldn't be driving at 100 kmph. You are only putting your life and others lives at risk if you don't pay attention to signboards. Why do you think rally drivers have navigators with them?

Second, traffic sign boards are different from advertisement boards. Know the difference.

About speed limits, like I said in earlier posts, it is upto you whether to follow them or not. If you do, you would be driving within 'legal' limits. If you don't, you can be ticketed. Whether speed limits make sense or not is a different issue altogather.
Old 11th August 2007, 12:26   #30
BHPian

1. what about those guys who slow down, close their eyes, bend their head, kiss their fingers with their lips and try to continue their travel in front of the numerous temples ??? i once touched the rear of a bike after the guy decided to suddenly pay his respects to the "God", little realising that he was trying to self-invite himself to probably to God's place.
2. LCD screens are good entertainment for the passengers. but what would happen when the screens are placed such that even the driver can have a look every now and then ? God save us !

Most Viewed