Team-BHP - Indian Hockey Thread: "Chak de India"
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Indian Hockey Thread: "Chak de India" (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/28324-indian-hockey-thread-chak-de-india-4.html)

You guys know few years back the then UP state government (Mulayam Singh govt) sent a check (I think it was for 75000 rupess) to Major Dhyan Chand (to his family, of course) to felicitate him (maybe it was his birth anniversary or something I dont remember now).

It bounced!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordmanchau (Post 2506695)
Well they deserve more, what's wrong in asking??

How come they deserve more? And is there a policy to pay players if they win certain tournaments for the country? Whatever is given is beyond what they already get.

Quote:

Even our famed Indian cricket team were not happy with the awards announced for them, and they showed their displeasure and then got their famed 1.5crores award.
So what's wrong??
I gave an example above of bblost and his maid as an analogy to him getting a bonus of a certain amount. Same holds here. Bring back the glory to hockey and then ask. And rightly so. Till then build up your game.

The wrong is comparing it to cricket only when the money is involved. You think players at top flight level in cricket get there just like that. And in hockey you have to take birth a minimum of seven times?

To give you an example. I played hockey at University Level the first year I held a hockey stick in my hand. Whereas just to get to 1st division cricket I had to slog for 5 years.

There is a huge difference man. Cricket is not all that easy as it looks to you on TV.

Quote:

Exactly, either don't give them anything or give them something significant to show your appreciation.
Like I said earlier look at that dude Yuvrak Walmiki. Appreciation is worthless if it needs to be measured in the amount of money you get for a sportsman.

The hot head captain is blowing hot because he is in the limelight. Ask him to stand up for hockey against the politics that is going on. Instead he is joining the politics and playing it well as we saw.

This is not playing a game man. This is politics. Not any sportsman could stoop too. I don't blame him entirely because me and another boxer from Goa knows what happens when you go against authority.

Quote:

But just don't belittle their achievement and pride by offering as paltry as 25K for the national players.
Read my quote above regarding the players playing politics now. Disgraceful for the players, for the administrations and for us fans.

Quote:

I am sure all of us are equally or more concerned about the sorry state of our jawans. But we are discussing Hockey here!!
Lol!! yeah we all are citizen of the same country !! Hypocrites , all of us:eek:
Its a pointer that 25k is paltry for you and me and hockey players not for a jawan in the army.

Sandeep powers India to London Olympics men's hockey - Rediff Sports clap:

A-W-E-S-O-M-E is the word! India just totally decimated the French team. If they can display the same level of skill, stamina and team spirit in the Olympics, then a top 5 finish is very very probable.

Cheers,
Vikram

Quote:

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb (Post 2694660)
Sandeep powers India to London Olympics men's hockey - Rediff Sports clap:

A-W-E-S-O-M-E is the word! India just totally decimated the French team. If they can display the same level of skill, stamina and team spirit in the Olympics, then a top 5 finish is very very probable.

Cheers,
Vikram

It looked like Short Corner(Penalty Corner) = Goal for India. Hope the conversion rate remains the same during Olympics as well. Sandeep was outstanding clap:

That's a great feat achieved by our boys. Girls were not so lucky though. However this win has opened another big challenge in form of London Olympics, so boys can't afford to go in relaxed mode.

Sandeep Singh is on a roll. The fact that he has managed to regain his form after a bullet injury makes it even even more laudable.

Keep it up team.

I have watched every game of India. The only team that gave some tough competition was Canada. Although there is no doubt that Indian team is much stronger now than what it used to be, I am afraid that these guys may not live up to our expectations in a foreign country :-(.. I am really hoping that I am proven wrong.

By the way, what happened to the women?

I watched all the matches. Been a long time since I watched so many matches.

One thing that stood out was the speed at which the Indian team was moving. There was dribbling but it was moving along fast that was noteworthy. Hockey has become so much faster and hope India will do great at the Olympics. Best of luck.

I am very happy India qualified for Olympics this time :) . Good job !

Indeed overjoyed that we qualified. And hopefully we will do well in the Olympics too. Chak de, India !!!

As a kid, I remember hockey being one of the games we played - alongside cricket, football etc. How many of today's kids have hockey on their game list ?

This is a theory that my FIL told me on the sunday when India was to play France for qualifying for London. According to him we do well in hockey when we do not do well in cricket. His expeeience has been very long and he was sure India would win.

I am happy his theory was proved right once again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 (Post 2698211)
This is a theory that my FIL told me on the sunday when India was to play France for qualifying for London. According to him we do well in hockey when we do not do well in cricket. His expeeience has been very long and he was sure India would win.

I am happy his theory was proved right once again.

Yeah very true man! In fact the stadium was pretty much packed by the time we got there. Could barely make it inside by the start time. Although this last minute rush was due to ticket prices being slashed to something like 10 rupees for some stands, but I'm sure the humiliation in cricket suffered earlier that same day played a part. :D We need more such humiliations in cricket to get other sports noticed. Amen!!

It was a fantastic atmosphere and thoroughly enjoyed the match. I am glad I saw a team score eight goals but this time it was India who triumphed. The last time I went to the same stadium was to catch the CWG 2010 final against Australia when we shipped eight unanswered goals. You all should know this - No one in the crowd jeered or abused any player (very common in cricket here up north) in spite of the embarrassing scoreline. And about 500 people stayed back in the stadium for more than an hour to applaud the team when they received their silver medals (yours truly included).

Have a look at some of the pics below:

India in decent form in the ongoing Champions Trophy in Melbourne. Hoping against hope that they finish in the top 3 at least!

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/hockey...cle4163828.ece

Cheers,
Vikram

One win away from a top 3 finish!

http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/...s/20121206.htm

Cheers,
Vikram

The team seems to be playing much better. I watched all the matches so far. Raghunath/Sardara Singh/Gurvinder Chandi/Danish Mujtaba are in excellent form. I hope we manage to have a good game against the Aussies. I dont expect us to win, but we must put in a worthy performance.

Our team in scintillating form - well done! Hope this momentum and form continues for a long time.

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report...es-3-1-2033834

Cheers,
Vikram