Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2007, 16:19   #1
BHPian

How do I locate my 1985 M800. After a decade?

Mods I am not sure if this thread should come under this section. Please move it to the correct location as I am not sure.

We had a 1985 Sky Blue M800 which we sold off to someone around 10years ago, due to certain circumstances.

Now I would like to buy back the SAME car if the current owner is willing to sell it back to me.

I went to the Jayanagar RTO to find out the address of the current owner, but to my shock (got a B-Extract), it is still not transferred to anyone. The buyer took the forms signed by us but looks like he hasnt got it transferred to his name yet (its been 10years!).

Now, the question - How do I locate the current owner? I want to buy back the same car, I do not want a different car of the same model.

One thought that came to my mind was to go to all the MUL service centers and see if that car had been given for service in the past (that way I can get the owners address) - but I think they wont give me that piece of information unless I know someone/ some known reference, because it can be considered to be confidential customers' data.

I know few people at Surakshaa, they checked their records and told me that this particular car has never come to them for service.

Can any TBHPian help me if they know anyone in Mandovi motors, Sagar, RNS, and other service centers in Bangalore? I can give them the regn number and it can be checked by the service desk using the same, address of the current owner can be obtained.

Or, if anyone has better ideas, please let me know. The reason for me so desperate to buy back that car - I want to restore it & gift it to my dad on his birthday next month. It was so emotionally attached to us!

Last edited by gopz : 4th September 2007 at 16:34.
Old 4th September 2007, 16:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you really pursue that car, I feel this is going to be interesting reading. Good luck on your quest.

I feel your car is most likely in Bangalore itself.
Old 4th September 2007, 16:45   #3
BANNED

dont worry buddy you will get your baby back.......

lets hope that the person who buyed it from you didnt sell it to some one else.....else it will be a difficult task....
Old 4th September 2007, 16:52   #4
Team-BHP Support

Now this is going to be interesting. The approach is good, try all MUL service centers and explain your need. I am sure they will help. If not then find out whom you sold it to and then get in touch with the chain.
Old 4th September 2007, 16:57   #5
BHPian

You can also try checking at the local garages if the car ever came to them for servicing... they can help as they know each other through chains of garages... also if you want.. post an advertisement in the newspaper..
Old 4th September 2007, 16:58   #6
BHPian

Try giving an advertisement in a news paper. A Classified rather. This should help you.
Old 4th September 2007, 17:00   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1182 View Post
Try giving an advertisement in a news paper. A Classified rather. This should help you.
This is something you shouldn't do. If the current owner sees your desperation for this and this very car then watch the car price soar sky high. Just make a silent entry and get it.
Old 4th September 2007, 17:03   #8
BHPian

another suggestion,... give away the reg. number on this forum and chances are there for some TBHP member in bangalore to bump into it if it is still not re-registered

best wishes on the search. keep us updated on this.
Old 4th September 2007, 17:09   #9
BHPian

"Leagally" you are still the owner - as per RTO data. You may want to use that information to locate the car.
Old 4th September 2007, 17:10   #10
BHPian

What if some one has re-registered? how would you find it then? Chassis number?
Old 4th September 2007, 17:18   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm, pretty interesting. Seems almost like in the movies.

Why dont you print a small ad in the prominent newspaper in bangalore along with the name of the person who bought it from you along with a picture, if you have one.
Old 4th September 2007, 17:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Since the current owner has not bothered to get the registration info changed at the RTO, you can file a police complaint saying the car has been stolen !! If the car hasn't been junked already, I am sure it will turn up

This is what we did to force the owner to change the registration info at the RTO after we sold an old Standard Herald to him.
Old 4th September 2007, 17:32   #13
BHPian

Well guys..

@moralfibre: I have lost the address or phone number of the person who bought it from us. All I know is that he lived in JP Nagar

@invincible7, bill1182, mobike008: I do not want to give an ad in a local newspaper, because I want this to be a surprise gift for my dad...if he gets to know that I am looking for that car, it will spoil the surprise...and as moralfibre said, it will make the owner quote a high price.

@gbpscars: I dont mind mentioning the regn number here if the mods allow me to do so?

@hellwrath: If someone has re-registered, I would have got to know from the RTO data

@spadival: lodging a police complaint in bangalore is almost a waste of time & energy, as far as I know the bangalore police!
Old 4th September 2007, 17:35   #14
HKP
BHPian

Check with Insurance provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
we sold off to someone around 10years ago,
You mean to say you don't have any Idea about the buyer who bought from you that time, I mean name, location etc

One suggestion is to go through the Insurance provider if you know. They also have a centralized database.

I think its better to publish the Reg Number here before attempting to do that in the news paper.

Best of luck buddy!

/HKP
Old 4th September 2007, 17:47   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Use Donu-bhai (palm greasing) or Influ-bhai (Contacts) within the RTO.....will work wonders. They are very precise in maintaining records.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks