Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2007, 02:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

@v16 : You got the classification part wrong. A, B , C class denotes the classification of the vehicle within the user group. Like only Tanks, Armoured personnel carriers and TATRA tank carriers will be A class vehicles. Most of the Gypsys and Jeeps would be B class while troop carriers and lorries would be D class and so on.
In the pic posted the black elephant on yellow plates is the formation sign or the group sign, 222 on the extreme right denotes that it is an armoured unit vehicle and 04 is model year, B is the class, while 088764 is the number while E is the Tpt grp in the MT.
For selling and condemnation of the vehicles they use a numeral code where a class 5 vehicle means a vehicle which is beyond economic repair.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 16th September 2007 at 02:24.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2007, 03:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Very informative, always used to wonder what these plates used to mean. But, one more question, is there any way to differentiate between the diff services from the plates? Also, are the officers deputed to RAW allowed to use these plates too?
Old 16th September 2007, 04:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Great info there Gogi! And that MM540 looks hot doesn't it!
It does, but i would prefer it in Matt green...and will you stop rubbing salt to my wounds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Hydrema - Another View [www.bharat-rakshak.com]

v16 the site u posted has quiet a number of miltary vehicles..Does this number criteria differ for the army trucks?..Because in one of the truck the number seems to be different or too small .
I guess it does. I too noticed the smaller type. Maybe it has something to do with the class of the vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
@v16 : You got the classification part wrong. A, B , C class denotes the classification of the vehicle within the user group. Like only Tanks, Armoured personnel carriers and TATRA tank carriers will be A class vehicles. Most of the Gypsys and Jeeps would be B class while troop carriers and lorries would be D class and so on.
In the pic posted the black elephant on yellow plates is the formation sign or the group sign, 222 on the extreme right denotes that it is an armoured unit vehicle and 04 is model year, B is the class, while 088764 is the number while E is the Tpt grp in the MT.
For selling and condemnation of the vehicles they use a numeral code where a class 5 vehicle means a vehicle which is beyond economic repair.
Thanks for pointing out Wanderernomad, I stand corrected. I had this information from a Brigadier relative of mine many years ago. Like all of you I too wondered what this weird way of numbering was. The explanation I got was the one I put up in the above post after brushing up from the site I have quoted.

@ Ananthkamath- No idea buddy. Maybe the Military way. But when I was told about this I was quite amused.

Last edited by V-16 : 16th September 2007 at 04:06. Reason: add
Old 16th September 2007, 22:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

The one probable reason for the smaller number on Hydrema is that it might be a prototype and not as yet fully inducted into a particular arm.
Another tidbit is that when ever you see a vehicle that has a 4 digit number in place of a 3 digit number (222 on the jeep in the pic) that would mean that the vehicle is from the Army Service Core as only they have a 4 digit number no one else.
Old 17th September 2007, 10:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Military Numbering System

A - Motor Cylces/Scooter
B - Car 250Kg 4x4 i.e CJ3B/JONGA/MG413W/MM550XD
C - Truck 1 ton
D - Truck 3 ton
E - Tractor (4x2/4x4/4x6/6x6)
G - Trailer 500Kg/1Ton
K - Ambulance
P - Radio Vans
X - Tracked vehicle APC/IFV/ERV etc

The vehicles are numbered irrespective of their units, as the vehicle are distributed by the vehicle Depots.

All Military Units have pre-designated nomenclature for vehicles within the unit. (that need not be discussed any further)

The Military vehicles are annual graded as
Class I,II,III - which are new to 3yrs or 30Kms
Class IV - Mechanical Damage
Class V - Components missing
Class VI/Class V BER - Beyond Economic Repair

The "ARROW" has 2 purposes

1) It signifies everything that belongs to the sovereign a British Tradition (Followed by Pakistan, India & UK)

2) "PARK THIS SIDE UP" for newbies

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2007, 12:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

ex670 : Could you please give source of your info because A is definitely not motorcycles/scooters as I am yet to come across a DR having an A on his wheels. Also I have seen armoured Tatra tractors with an A grading.
Old 17th September 2007, 12:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Wanderernomad & V16.
Thanks for sharing all that info
Old 17th September 2007, 14:49   #23
BHPian

I thought i had seen a few vehicles with a down arrow. Not in the recent past though, so cant be too sure. Maybe the drivers in those vehicles are stuntmen who park upside down
Old 17th September 2007, 16:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
ex670 : Could you please give source of your info because A is definitely not motorcycles/scooters as I am yet to come across a DR having an A on his wheels.
just went out and saw a DR with an A on his cycle..sorry i stand corrected, mate.
Old 17th September 2007, 18:21   #25
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the info ex670c.
Old 25th February 2010, 22:16   #26
BANNED

We need a similar kind of numbering for civilian vehicles. Specially the year of manufacture.
Old 20th June 2010, 19:13   #27

Also, these numbers are known as 'DN' numbers or 'Door Numbers' ... they are painted in the front back and both the front doors.
Old 20th June 2010, 23:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Some unique markings can also be seen.
Like stenciled 'BH' means Base hospital.

Also there is a rule, even if the vehicle can seat three on front seat, two are only allowed. Barret Cap is a must for both driver and co-driver.

rest Suman Sir can confirm.
Old 6th September 2010, 07:54   #29
BHPian

What is the Significance of the Up Arrow in Armed Forces Vehicles?- The Broad Arrow.

As explained by ex670c it signifies that the vehicle is owned by the Sovereign. It is so used on Armed Forces Vehicles, including tanks and artillery pieces, by most of the commonwealth nations. The (up arrow) vehicle number is referred to as the "Broad Arrow" or BA Number. If you have guessed a British Army history connection -you are right - and here it is.

In medieval England, officers commissioned by the sovereign faced problems in instituting a food procurment, storage and distribution system for men-at-arms under them. Requiring a proper procurement system rather than reverting to leaving it to the troops to commandeer what they choose from the poor peasantry was neccesary to mainatining the 'King's Peace'. At the same time, instituting a supply department would add to the costs of maintaining the army which the commissioned gentlemen could only do so by reducing the strength under arms.

The dilemma was solved by reserving bigger game(bigger than veal size) in the forests, for the King's men. The bigger game required broader arrows to shoot and accordingly all blacksmiths were under notice to forge these broad arrows only for those with Broad Arrows marked on their capes - the men-at arms of gentlemen commissioned by the King.

The Supply Corps, in time of course, developed a sophisticated system to provision troops but the markings on the armed forces of the sovereign continue to carry the "broad arrow" to this day.

As far as writing ARMY on privately owned vehicles is concerned, the army discourages this practice for many reasons not the least of which are unauthorised or delinquent even criminal impostoring. There are lawful (Tolls Act and others) that lay down priveleges but identification is always by the Armed Forces Identity card (a property of the sovereign but without the broad arrow!) that the serviceman must carry and show when required.

Now, can you guess why "broad sword" is such a commonly used military codeword?
Old 7th July 2016, 19:43   #30
BHPian

Re: How to read defence number plates??

On a recent trip to Ladakh/Himachal, spotted several blue vehicles (Trucks and few pick-ups) which didn't carry the conventional army registration.

Turns out, BRO (Border Roads Organisation) have the privilege of an independent vehicle registration system. They follow the code:

↑CH00000 i.e '↑CH' followed by a 5-digit number.

Someone with the any idea behind characters 'CH' ?

In this lone case, 'CH' is also omitted.
How to read defence number plates??-wp_20160701_07_30_43_moment.jpg
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks