Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2007, 12:42   #1

2003 OHC 1.5 EXI Price check

I am in the process of upgrading my 2003 OHC 1.5 EXI (46.7K KM) to CIVIC 1.8V AT. Just confused with different prices quoted by used car agents.

One agent who was referred by Honda dealer quoted 3.65 L. Other Agent who himself approached me quoted for 4.15 L. Is there any catch or which one is the decent price for this vehicle?

Both the agents mentioned to me that the car is in good condition.
Old 24th September 2007, 12:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

the higher price is always better - only thing ensure he pays upfront and u take a delivery note signed by him....price looks good
Old 24th September 2007, 14:39   #3

Thanks Narayan for the information, I will ask for upfront payment. Also heard that some of the agents ask for the insurance to be retained under our name for sometime. I am sure it's a high risky from our side, but is it the usual practice or should I say simple NO to this request.
Old 25th September 2007, 18:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Iam surprised that an agent offered 4.15 L for a 2003 OHC 1.5. Approximate market prices in Chennai is inbetween 3.85-4.15.

First vendor who offered 3.65 seems to be a correct price from the selling point of view (keeping margin and selling it off when he finds out a correct buyer)

But whoever it may be, if we get the right price n transaction is clean nothing bothers u.

please keep us updated if you manage to sell at 4.15L to the dealer
Old 25th September 2007, 18:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest spending 500 bucks and advertise on the classifieds.
U'll be amazed by the number of calls and personal checks.
Old 25th September 2007, 19:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I'd suggest spending 500 bucks and advertise on the classifieds.
U'll be amazed by the number of calls and personal checks.
You will get lots of leads, but most of them would be dealers and we all know how much they ask for (to accomadate their profit)

Publish the complete details/print the expected price & just print the address and don't provide any contact number.

Serious real buyers would drop in. Also you can cut 50% of unwanted calls

ps: you will get 3-4 calls from same office to cut out ur selling price
Old 25th September 2007, 19:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

OT but useful:I don't put up the price in the ad.
When they call, I give them the price.
If they bargain, I ask them to check out the car in person and then we can talk.
And if they still bargain, I still say the same thing.

During one particular sale, I quoted a price on the phone. The first guy to come over was a dealer. He gave a price and left. The second buyer liked the car and the deal was finished for 10k lesser than the original price.

One thing I realised is that potential used car buyers are tired of heavily overpriced dealers' cars and prefer to get it from a genuine direct seller. Moreover, there is no brokerage involved for both the buyer and seller.
Old 25th September 2007, 21:21   #8

finalized the deal for 4.05L

Thanks for the suggestions, Without even publishing it in paper just through the word of mouth through the security guy in our apartment and shop owners around the area itself got many buyers but everyones expectation was around 3.65L to 3.95L.

Purposely I did not go for AD as I cannot spend time to deal with many prospects.

I have finalized the deal with TSM for 4.05L as it's a reputed company in the market, compared to another agent (not a reputed one) who offered 4.15L.

I have also booked CIVIC 1.8V AT Carbon Bronze. Looking forward to the delivery on Friday.

Once again thank you guys and this forum for gaining quality information about various aspects of auto industry.
Old 26th September 2007, 08:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

congrats Jash - on ur successful sale ( amazing price...beleive it must b in pristine condition - post some pics if possible )

also write back with ur Buying experience for the CIVIC at sundaram motors ...
Old 26th September 2007, 12:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jash View Post
I have finalized the deal with TSM for 4.05L as it's a reputed company in the market,
Congrats. Good price you got

Did they charged you 1.5% commission that accounts to Rs.6075?

They will quote this car in the range of Rs.4.3 lakhs and get it finalized in the range of 4.15 lakhs.

They get commission of 1.5% from the buyer.

Hence their profit in the range of 16.3 k to 22.6 k (10k+6.3k+6.3k) depending on whether they charged you the commission or not.

Iam sure they will sell this car out within max 1 month.
Old 26th September 2007, 13:08   #11

TSM offered 4.05L and got the check for 4.05L yesterday itself. With the good knowledge I gained in this forum I did the following to get better offer from Capital Honda.

Capital Honda price was 13.76 vs Sundaram price was 13.65 includes 48K insurance.

Given that my last two times service experience with Capital was amazing I tried to negotiate to get the same deal with capital than going to Sundaram. Sundaram was also behind me in the last two days and were willing to give better deal, but I was kind of focused to get a better deal with Capital than Sundaram.

I spent more than 3 hours in Capital honda on the negotiation, believe it or not I enjoyed the 3 hours as I never done in the past. Last time when I bought City from Sundaram, I just accepted the offer with a corporate discount. But this time I was well prepared to deal with the sales guys & the credit goes to team-bhp.

Finally I got the deal finalized for 13.46 includes 12K corporate discount 10K ncb, 8K discount on insurance (to match sundaram's price)
Old 26th September 2007, 13:55   #12

Forgot to mention the sunfilm (3M) offered by Capital Honda worth of 4.5K as a freebie.
Old 26th September 2007, 14:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

wow -thats pretty hard negotiations! congrats on the new car!
Old 26th September 2007, 16:53   #14

No Commission component

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Did they charged you 1.5% commission that accounts to Rs.6075?
They never discussed about any commission & as I mentioned earlier I got the cheque for the entire offer amount.
Old 26th September 2007, 17:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Honda dealers fighting for a sale?? And are giving discounts?

No wonder Kolkatta is flooded with rain!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks