Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which category would you put yourself in? And explain WHY?
I am an average Indian Joe to whom car is only a means of transport! 6 5.50%
I am an enthusiast! 103 94.50%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2007, 22:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Was looking for an Accent/Ikon (6ish L to spend) in 2001 till I heard the lovely note at 5k+ revs on the City, and promptly decided to pay a much huger EMI and down payment which I could hardly afford at the time.
Zen 1993 (bought used in 1998) before that - and lovvvved the shifting up and down on highway drives.
Get lower-than-most FE on my long drives cause of high revving, later gear up-shifts and early down-shifts, but can't give up on those for the feel of point and shoot control you get around corners.
Enthusiast, what else.
Old 30th September 2007, 22:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

I'am an enthusiast. I regularly clean and give my car only to the authorised service centres. I get irritated when the autos / others drive slowly even though there is space to move forward. I do like driving fast both on the city roads and highways. I make my way in city roads
Old 30th September 2007, 22:16   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't see an option for reluctant driver here.
Old 30th September 2007, 22:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Dont keep the car clean and stuff as i like the dirty looks more and as long as its mechanically perfect i dont care about the truckloads of muck outside.
Drive like an there is no tomorrow when alone and like an enthusiast when people with me and these conditions are only for highways.Otherwise in the city its always with rules and patience.
Old 30th September 2007, 23:21   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Would a reluctant driver bother to join Team-BHP, I wonder?

Some days I guess I am!

I enjoy owning a car, without making a big thing of it; I'd pay for more comfort (priority over power, but I wouldn't want a sluggard), if I could afford it; I'm interested in the techniques of driving, at least as far as the ordinary road is concerned, without particularly wishing to learn other types of driving.

When I go out I will always choose the car over any other form of transport for anything up to a few hours drive.

I enjoy driving, once I get out there. I especially enjoy Chennai driving, believe it or not, after years of London.

But I don't like making unnecessary journeys, and will seldom drive just for fun

Ahh.... I'm a reluctant enthusiast!
Old 1st October 2007, 00:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Gimme a car and I'll keep driving. My car was called the auto and I was the auto driver ferrying people, dropping them off.. whatever. All I need is fuel for my stomach and the car and I'll keep going.

GQ bores me. I prefer the Old Madras Road, Bangalore -> Hassan section, Mysore->Sathy etc becoz I think that's were once's driving skill is better used.

After joing TBHP I've learnt a lot more. I'm still not a mod freak or an internals guy. But gimme any car and I'll be happy to drive my pants off.
Old 1st October 2007, 08:21   #22
BHPian

If enthusiasm means passionate about the cars and wanting to know more allthe while maintaining a healthy and safe driving style i am in
Old 1st October 2007, 12:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

I learnt driving after 6 months of my membership in Team-Bhp. Done my car with Conical filters/alloys/muffler/sy.oil after going thru the benefits of the same in our forums.

If I was to choose traveling between Chennai-Bangalore, I opt train due to comfort traveling /safety and cost factor. As a rare case, I may opt for car (provided friends traveling along with me).

Impressed with travelogues in our forums did a long trip (chennai-bandipur-ooty-mysore-chennai) just for the sake of doing one. Never ever felt tired of driving, but never has the urge to get behind wheels as much as possible

with that i feel, i fall under the first category [first one to vote for average joe ]

ps: wanted to upgrade tyres due to the safety aspect (though 99% of my speeds are below 100 kmph) & looks

Last edited by Surprise : 1st October 2007 at 12:37.
Old 1st October 2007, 14:28   #24
Team-BHP Support

Do I qualify to be called an enthusiast if I don't wish to mod my car, drive fast, etc? What I do? Here's what I do enthusiastically:

- Buy better footwear and tyre cleaner for my car instead of buying myself a pair of shoes that cost as much as a good performance tyre.
- Clean the car with products costing much more than your regular shower gel and shampoo.
- Use the best of fluids whereas you settle for a beer Rs. 100/- at Grand than going to Le Meridian for a pint that costs twice as much.
- Do not upgrade the computer because the music system in your car needs better amps, subs, speakers.
- Buy a better set of bulbs for your car instead of buying that expensive pair of sun glasses.
- Stand by your car everytime it visits a workshop.
- Car is cleaner than your cupboard.

And many more thoughts to come.
Old 1st October 2007, 15:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Please add one more option BOTH or something. This depends from CAR to CAR, time to time for me and situation to situation.
Old 1st October 2007, 15:20   #26
BHPian

there should be an option for someone who is forced to drive in this madness out of his\her free will -- i would opt for that --
Old 1st October 2007, 15:51   #27
Team-BHP Support

for whatever little bit i do drive i floor it.
Old 1st October 2007, 16:00   #28
Team-BHP Support

I drive hard during the begining of every month after I get the salary and the speed drops down at month end :-( and I love my car more than anything else (bike comes close second) and love to mod it (but cash is a deciding factor here) and I love long (read very long drives). I prefer to travel by car even if it means two-three days of journey. And the best thing is that my wife supports me for such looong drives .
Old 1st October 2007, 18:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

i probably would be an enthusiast if i had money to spend (on tracks) and take care of my family after me, but driving on public roads with my hard earned car, i am pretty much an average joe. safety first.

been there, done that though!
Old 1st October 2007, 18:53   #30
BHPian

These days I find myself a average joe or an enthusiast depending on the car I am driving - the indica or the lancer

I am below 2500 rpm in one and 8300 rpm in the other

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks