Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Why do you think people stay visitors and not sign-up?
People are just too lazy. They don't like form-filling and e-mail verification 24 38.10%
They get most information without registering 44 69.84%
Many people think they'd rather be visitors than inactive members 19 30.16%
They are not regular visitors 9 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2007, 00:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Why do we see more visitors than members on Team-BHP?

I am not sure whether there is a thread on this or for that matter, anyone has closely watched this.

Everytime I log in, I see that there are more visitors active on Team-BHP than members. Ever wondered why? Read on...

This is the status on 21st November 2007, Approx 00:30.

Quote:
Currently Active Users: 655 (175 members and 480 guests)
Never have I seen this ratio better than 1:2. In fact, it is always less than that.

I understand that this is true with many sites and forums on the Internet, but I want to know your opinions about this.

Mods: I know this can be included in the suggestions for Team-BHP, but a discussion and poll would give better inputs.

FYI, more than one reason can be voted.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 21st November 2007 at 01:01.
Old 21st November 2007, 00:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

a lot of times when i work from different computers, i am not logged on to TBHP. in any case, i think it's good to have people look around and decide if they want to join.
Old 21st November 2007, 00:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
a lot of times when i work from different computers, i am not logged on to TBHP. in any case, i think it's good to have people look around and decide if they want to join.
Good point. I am just trying to find out in general about why people don't sign-up or just like you mentioned, log in.

Based on personal experiences, if members could contribute the possible reasons, it would help understand the intricacies.

P.S: I am not doing this as a survey for commercial benefits. It is just for BHP.
Old 21st November 2007, 01:43   #4
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Lot of those 480 guests will be crawlers and bots from search engines!
Old 21st November 2007, 02:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I like visitors. Visitors are fun and more interesting than you lot that I see on a daily basis.
Old 21st November 2007, 02:26   #6
Team-BHP Support

aZa is right. half the times the traffic is because of those bots and crawlers from various search engines and indexing sites.

another fact is that we are very well indexed by google. so anyone looking for car related info lands up on this board. they start reading through the content as we do not restrict info for guests unlike some other sites. many of these guests then also become members after lurking around for a while.
Old 21st November 2007, 07:38   #7
BHPian

Privacy issues, may be people don't want to give their email ids & start receiving spam or merely unsolicited mail.

Personally I haven't received any unsolicited mail from TBHP since I signed up less than a month ago, but generally speaking its an issue with lot of other public forums.

Easy way out of this is to create a email just for this purpose......
Old 21st November 2007, 08:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

i guess there are lot of members like me who log in only when a post has to be made..and do the reading stuff with out logging in.
Old 21st November 2007, 12:02   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Interesting query; here is what I understand from my experience:

1. Unlike some other communities, Team-BHP keeps *all* of its information open to guests and members alike. This is in keeping with the foundation on which Team-BHP was created i.e. to provide an unbiased and comprehensive resource to anyone who wants / needs / seeks / enjoys it.

2. Again....unlike some other communities, Team-BHP does not require registration to search within our archives. Trust me when I say this; searching the forum is one of the most hardware intensive processes and we could lower our costs significantly by disabling search to guests. But then, that would be against our basic principles wouldnt it? The search (basic and advanced) will always be open to guests.

3. As long as guests are happy in receiving the information that they seek.....we are happy. If they cant find it (or it isnt discussed already), they are welcome to register and create a thread for the same.

4. Search bots : Google and Yahoo scan our board like crazy. During peak hours, there are probably 200 - 300 spiders recording the forum sections as "guests". Good for us.

We, the Support Team, are extremely happy with the way that things are.
Old 21st November 2007, 12:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. Some great inputs indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I like visitors. Visitors are fun and more interesting than you lot that I see on a daily basis.
lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
3. As long as guests are happy in receiving the information that they seek.....we are happy. If they cant find it (or it isnt discussed already), they are welcome to register and create a thread for the same.

4. Search bots : Google and Yahoo scan our board like crazy. During peak hours, there are probably 200 - 300 spiders recording the forum sections as "guests". Good for us.
Part in bold: That is another reason why I created this thread. Many newbies who introduce themselves mention a few months of browsing before registering.

And the part about crawlers is amazing. I did't know there were so many monitoring Team-BHP.
Old 21st November 2007, 12:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
And the part about crawlers is amazing. I did't know there were so many monitoring Team-BHP.
I didn't either

Nice thread Raghu!
Old 21st November 2007, 12:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
And they can't post on the Yeti (r) Products thread!

I also think that the information availability is the key here. Most people use Team-bhp for information - like a wiki, and they do not need to register/post.
Old 21st November 2007, 13:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post

Nice thread Raghu!
Thanks Hydra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi View Post
And they can't post on the Yeti (r) Products thread!
I would say can't create or post.

Thanks Ravi!
Old 22nd November 2007, 17:04   #14
BHPian

It is a bit off topic but never came across a single ad till now on the web site ! how do ya guys manage then bandwidth costs ??
Old 22nd November 2007, 18:47   #15
BANNED

I was a visitor for a couple of months before signing up.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks