Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 08:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
well i was watching american chopper and there I seen how they had put american flag on their garage walls, so i was thinking about putting one such indian flag on wall of my office. Dont know if its okay or not!
IIRC - there is a certain way the flag can be displayed indoors
Quote:
The flag should never be depicted, displayed or flown upside down. Tradition also states that when draped vertically, the flag should not merely be rotated through 90 degrees, but also reversed. One "reads" a flag like the pages of a book, from top to bottom and from left to right, and after rotation the results should be the same. It is also insulting to display the flag in a frayed or dirty state. The same rule applies to the flagpoles and halyards used to hoist the flag, which should always be in a proper state of maintenance.

Showing the flag indoors
Whenever the flag is displayed indoors in the halls at public meetings or gatherings of any kind, it should always be on the right (observers' left), as this is the position of authority. So when the flag is displayed next to a speaker in the hall or other meeting place, it must be placed on the speaker's right hand. When it is displayed elsewhere in the hall, it should be to the right of the audience.
The flag should be displayed completely spread out with the saffron stripe on top. If hung vertically on the wall behind the podium, the saffron stripe should be to the left of the onlookers facing the flag with the hoist cord at the top
I personally dont see an issue with not being allowed to do "what i please"- Yes- i might not be allowed to flutter the flag where I please or when I please- but it still is the flag of my nation. I respect it and just because I am a citizen - does not give me the right to do what i please with it - burn, remodel or otherwise.

Last edited by madan80 : 4th June 2008 at 08:17.
Old 4th June 2008, 11:22   #32
Team-BHP Support

There is a difference in American flag code and Indian flag code.
The American flag code is a suggestion, and Indian flag code is law.
Thats the reason you can have American flag as a T-shirt and nobody will arrest you for it.
Old 4th June 2008, 13:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Thats the reason you can have American flag as a T-shirt and nobody will arrest you for it.
Or bikinis or underpants!
Old 4th June 2008, 13:35   #34
BHPian

About hoisting flags on cars, there is a chance that the flag might fall on the road, get driven over by the vehicles and in the process get soiled and dirty. Have seen pictures of the flags getting teh above mentioned treatment after Independence Day/Republic Day and personally felt very sad. In fact, this is one reason I do not have a flag on my car.
Old 4th June 2008, 13:38   #35
BHPian

@Mods: Shouldn't the title of this thread read " Is it okay to display...". Hang sounds a bit crude, not sure if you can say that. But in the law everywhere it is mentioned as display.

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 4th June 2008, 13:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchyboy
@Mods: Shouldn't the title of this thread read " Is it okay to display...". Hang sounds a bit crude, not sure if you can say that. But in the law everywhere it is mentioned as display.
Thanks Rajan,

I agree Thread title is changed now.
Old 15th July 2008, 12:41   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
1) Can someone tell me do we have any other state in india which have there own state flag ??

2)what is the whole concept of having a state flag ?

3) when did this originate in Karnataka?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suvi View Post
5. when multiple flags are there, Indian flag should be the left most as you see if all the flags are at same height. no flag can be higher than Indian flag (say Karnataka flag for instance).
I have never heard of a state flag. Is there a Tamilnadu flag?

I want to have a flag in front of my car, unfortunately it cannot be the national flag. Any other options?
Old 15th July 2008, 12:52   #38
Team-BHP Support

You can have a flag carrying your picture.
Nobody will bother you for it?
If you want clout use the flag of the current ruling party of the state
No cop will stop you then
Old 15th July 2008, 13:30   #39
BHPian

it's all in there!

why don't we ware our flag in our hearts and not put it on display; where there is always a chance of getting it insulted/defamed; intentionally/unintentionally.
Old 12th November 2008, 21:20   #40
BHPian

hi,
if i am not mistaken a citizen of india can legally display the tricolour on his car provided certain rules are strictly adhered to...i remember reading about a supreme court decision in this regard. will try and search it out..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks