Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2007, 13:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

May the souls departed rest in peace and again there is no excuse and sympathy towards the driver as it costed someone's lives. Wish people exercise caution and be disciplined and for any offence, the punishment should be worth remembering and i suppose thats pretty uncommon to take lead in our country with everyone trying to save their own piece of land by greasing out people higher up.
Old 14th December 2007, 13:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
ABS, EBD and all the works are no guarantee for a safe car. The driver needs to know how to use these technologies, else they are of absolutely no use.

An experienced driver might have been able to do better in this situation even without the aid of these tools.

Also from looking at the condition of the car I would dread to think what kind of speed was involved here.
In another thread elsewhere somebody had mentioned how safe it is to speed these days with all the ABS, EBD, XYZ etc.....

This is proof that they ARE for the DRIVER / PASSENGERS....and NOT for the people outside.

-- Torqy
Old 15th December 2007, 16:14   #18
Team-BHP Support

According to today's Hindu, the driver was an absconding teenager probably without a licence. Car was registered to a large corporate.

Frankly, the corporate should penalise the user for compromising its assets as a first step.
Old 17th December 2007, 20:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
According to today's Hindu, the driver was an absconding teenager probably without a licence. Car was registered to a large corporate.

Frankly, the corporate should penalise the user for compromising its assets as a first step.
thats right. the car was registered to a large corporate but the police suspect that it was the teenaged son of the director of that corporate house who had driven the car. They also had found an expensive mobile phone at the accident site that belonged to a friend of that specified teenager that further confirmed their suspicion.

now beat this ! the chaffeur of the corporate surrendered before the cops last evening claiming he was behind the wheel of the car at the time of the accident and was promptly taken out on bail a few hours later !

.....and the specified teenager promptly goes into hiding !

the good news is that the cops (for a change) are having none of this story and have scooted off to Lucknow to take the teenager into their custody for questioning

hope justice prevails over money...and may the poor souls r.i.p
Old 18th December 2007, 12:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Was watching the news on Sun tv and my roomie was translating what was oing on. It was a 16year old son of the owner who was behind the wheel of the car and also he was using his mobile during the time of the accident. The boy has gone underground and the cops have informed all the airports to stop him from running out of the country as they frequently do so. Lets see if the cops take action? But does anyone know what is the punishment for such a crime? As in there are so many accidents happening on a daily basis but why is it that a few of them are only highlighted and people usually start crying hoarse about them? Does being famous in the country or being rich is like a drawback?
Old 18th December 2007, 13:25   #21
Team-BHP Support

Read in sunday's Asian Age.

Car owned by the Khemka group. They persuaded an old driver to take the hit promising legal and fianncial protection. I hope the cops fingerprint the car to prove that this guy was nowhere near the car.
Old 18th December 2007, 13:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

Why are we not discussing the other two accidents that happened in Mumbai?

Last week, a drunk guy was sleeping on the ROAD at night beside the pavement. A lady driving a NHC ran over him. She was tested for DUI but was cleared of that charge. The cops slapped rash and negligent driving charges on her and arrested her! The lady said there were no street lights on the roads. I believe her.

In another incident on S.V.Road on saturday at 3 am, a Zen hit some road construction work killing one and injuring the remaining 3 occupants. The driver was arrested for rash and negligent driving. News channels reported that there were no warning signs of construction work on the road. What are the chances that the BMC engineer in charge of that road and the contractor will be arrested and charged for murder?
Old 18th December 2007, 13:57   #23
Team-BHP Support

The survivor is the one at fault.
In Delhi 2 boys, aged 15 and 16 are driving at high speed in fog. They go on wrong side of road and collide head on with a van. No helmets means death. The driver of the van gets arrested. Why?
A Bus rams into a bike. The bike is driving on wrong side of the road with 3 persons riding it. The case is registered against bus driver. Why?
Old 18th December 2007, 14:23   #24
BHPian

More on Chennai accident

It is clear that Achal is the culprit from the news article below. But will the law be able to catch him...?

The labourers who do not even have a roof to sleep under have got killed and wounded. Agreed that doesn't give them right to sleep in the pavement. For that can they be killed?

Achal has to be brought to justice and the long arm of money should be cut through constant public pressure.

"....Chennai Police claims to have fresh evidence against 16-year-old Achal, the young boy allegedly behind the wheel of the Mercedes car that killed three construction workers in Chennai on Thursday.

The Chennai police say they have fresh evidence to put Achal, the son of natural energy company NEPC's chief Rajkumar Khemka, squarely in the driver's seat in the Mercedes Benz hit-and-run case.

The speeding car collided head on with a two-wheeler near Poonamallee High Road and crashed into a platform, where nearly 50 construction labourers were sleeping. Three labourers were killed, and police sources now say they've found evidence linking Achal to the crime.

They have found an expensive mobile phone allegedly owned by Achal. Also recovered is a pair of Italian shoes, which is unlikely to be owned by a driver. The police are also in the process of verifying the bloodstain found at the spot.

“Investigations are currently underway and yes, we have fresh evidence to prove our suspicions. We can't give more information away right now, as we are in the process of investigating,” says Additional Commissioner (Traffic) Chennai Sunil Kumar.

Nine labourers who were injured in the accident are under medical supervision at the Government General Hospital in Chennai. Achal, who studies in an international school in Singapore, was in Chennai on a vacation. He is believed to have left for Uttar Pradesh with his mother the day after the accident, following which a police team from Tamil Nadu has been sent to UP to track him down.

Police sources informed CNN-IBN that during questioning, Achal's father, Rajkumar Khemka, Chairman of NEPC, had vehemently denied his son's involvement in the accident.

A driver, Chandrakant Sharma, surrendered before the Egmore Judicial Magistrate on Saturday, saying he was behind the wheel when the accident took place. However, Chennai police say the court has not officially informed them about the statement....http://in.news.yahoo.com/071217/211/6ojar.html"
Old 18th December 2007, 14:40   #25
BHPian

A man/woman/kid is run over by a truck while crossing the road.
Truck driver is arrested.

Why?

-- Torqy
Old 18th December 2007, 14:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Maybe because the man/woman/kid were crossing the road at a zebra crossing and when the signal was green for pedestrians ???
Old 18th December 2007, 14:57   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
The other day a lady was involved in an accident at Lokhandwala Back Road. A man was sleeping on the street. She didn't see him (because it was too dark), ran over him, the man got stuck in the tyre and was dragged 100 meters or so. He died eventually. And who was charged and arrested for it?! The lady. And the whole damned blame was slapped on her.
This nearly happened to me this Mon morning, when I was driving from Bombay to Pune. At the beginning of one of the flyovers, there was, what seemed like a small bundle old jute/gunny bags lying near the central divider, in the right most lane. Only when I was about 10 feet away, I could make out that it was a person curled up in a fetal position sleeping on the road. I was completely shaken for a moment, thinking what would have happened had I accidentally run over him.
Old 18th December 2007, 15:02   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Maybe because the man/woman/kid were crossing the road at a zebra crossing and when the signal was green for pedestrians ???
Ok...i should've been more clear with "...where there was no zebra crossing".

:(
Old 18th December 2007, 15:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
A man/woman/kid is run over by a truck while crossing the road.
Truck driver is arrested.

Why?

-- Torqy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Ok...i should've been more clear with "...where there was no zebra crossing".

:(
Well, its like those riddles, no offense lol.

What exactly were the other parameters like? Even if there was no zebra crossing, does that give the truck driver the right to run over people? Sorry, I didn't get it

Last edited by suman : 18th December 2007 at 15:07.
Old 18th December 2007, 15:09   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
thats right. the car was registered to a large corporate but the police suspect that it was the teenaged son of the director of that corporate house who had driven the car. They also had found an expensive mobile phone at the accident site that belonged to a friend of that specified teenager that further confirmed their suspicion.
I saw this being reported by the news channels yesterday. I do hope the police come up with something more substantial to prove that the director's son was driving. Finding a mobile at the accident site, is really weak circumstantial evidence.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks