Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2008, 21:13   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Why don't they ban using wild animals in circus?
I think they already banned that some time ago.
Old 13th January 2008, 06:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Also read in newspapers that they throwing Chilli powder in the eyes of poor bull to make it go 'mad'.
Height of cruelty.
Thats HORRIBLE.

Thank god for the ban!
Old 14th January 2008, 03:13   #18
BHPian

That's disgusting. Why did they ban it? If they are so concerned about animals being killed why don't they ban non-veg food as well? Aren't animals being treated cruelly when they are slaughtered? I have seen all those animals packed together in a truck before being taken to the slaughter house. Why don't they do anything about this? Didn't they feel the pain of animals then? Why are they being so hypocritical?

This is such a great sport, so exciting. Seems like the SC is hellbent upon destroying the culture of TN.

These envirno-animal hippies have gone crazy. They should give up their mercs and stop eating a Rs1000 Chicken Biryani in a posh hotel and then come. If the animal is not killed what is their problem? In the Spanish version, apparently they attack the animal with daggers till its killed. Now THAT's painful. And taming a bull is much more harder than killing a bull. This was such a masculine sport, one of the last bastions of masculinity in the increasingly feminized world. I wish the villagers don't give a tiny rat's behind and carry on with it. Its been going on for the last 1700 years for God's sake.

Last edited by Centro-P : 14th January 2008 at 03:19.
Old 14th January 2008, 03:45   #19
BHPian

And no offense to people who eat non-veg food, I eat it as well.
Old 14th January 2008, 03:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

I believe what is really wrong is the way the animal is treated. Slaughtering an animal involves a quick painless death although some of the slaughterhouses may not be practicing this. Muslims only consume Halal meat and one of the things that go into making Halal meat is that the animal being slaughtered must be killed in a way that it's death is quick and painless.

In my opinion what is really wrong about this festival is how the agitated animal is treated. From what I understand using chilly powder to agitate the animal and putting it through the whole trauma of fighting a huge crowd with nowhere to hide must be real torture for the bull. Maybe for cultural purposes a highly controlled version of the festival can be allowed where it lasts for a very short time and the bull is saved from any kind of harm.

Also while some parts of our culture are really important, some parts of it may need to be changed along with time. Im not comparing this festival to it, but other things like Sati and untouchability have also been abolished in the past.
Old 14th January 2008, 08:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

The issue here is the abuse/stress that the animal goes through during this period. Many brave (or should i say drunk & stupid) men try to irritate one bull. Why not have an one on one ?

There was this joke in a tamil movie.

Quote:
"Vivek : why do you do this (bull fight) ?

Man : We are farmers & we use these bulls to plough our land. We need to control them in order to use them efficiently

Vivek : These days there are more farmers using tractors than bulls, why dont you let rip a tractor at full throttle & stand in front of it & control that? "
i like the bloke vivek for his cracks on these kind of things
Old 14th January 2008, 09:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

TN government has challenged the ban.
Old 14th January 2008, 09:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
TN government has challenged the ban.
And many politicians are using this issue to their advantage talking about how they are being targetted and how this is part of a greater plan to wipe out their culture.

Also arent bulls generally calm animals that dont generally harm you unless provoked?
Old 14th January 2008, 09:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Politics of Animal activists

Looks like the Animal activists are acting up again . If they are seriously interested in animal welfare, there are zillions of other things they could do to improve the plight of animals, before they focus on issues like "Jallikattu", which has a strong cultural connection. In my opinion, this is just dirty politics.

Jallikattu in its traditional form does not cause any physical harm to the bull. The efforts by the different men to tame it by holding on its horns is not going to cause bodily harm to it.....the men are more at risk by doing this. It is only when certain "extras" are added for "livening" up the show, that it becomes deplorable. What I am referring to is the supposed sprinkling of chilli powder in the eyes of the bull to make it more irritated, and thus more difficult to tame. I am sure that if we hear about one such thing as sprinkling chilli powder, there must be other such things also done to the bulls to make them more violent. This is what must be stopped : the activists should focus on these aspects, rather that using the Supreme Court to ban the sport altogether .
Old 14th January 2008, 20:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Jallikattu in its traditional form does not cause any physical harm to the bull.
What about the mental harm and trauma?
Old 14th January 2008, 20:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Usual publicity seeking moves from the animal rights / PETA lot. They did the same with OX racing at the rural olympics (Quila Raipur Games) in Punjab. They went out their way to destroy the event, they did not have the gonads to take on the Nihangs there.

The sad thing about these PETA type people is that their super patron Maneka Gandhi used to keep large Irish Wolfhounds inside a house and never exercised them. So why dont the PETA wale go camp outside her house and insist she exercise her large dogs.
Old 15th January 2008, 17:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Well the latest update is that this sport can be held under government supervision. This is the order of the SC after the TN govt challenged the order.
Old 15th January 2008, 21:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

So much for imposing a ban. Some people come up with every way possible to have these restrictions removed.

Even if the event occurs under supervision,nothing's going to change in terms of what's carried out. The use of chilli powder & everything else will continue.
Old 15th January 2008, 22:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yes so much for imposing a stupid ban in the first place.
Old 15th January 2008, 22:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Lets just hope the government supervision makes a difference and the bulls are treated in a somehwhat humane way atleast.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks