Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2008, 11:12   #31
BHPian

Let us look at a bull fight as a pure sport, putting aside all the animal rights stuff out of picture here. Any sport would involve rigorous training and aggression from the sportsperson. Its similar to a boxer training towards a big game and remind you injury is definite in any form of sport. At the end of the day everyone wants to win and it brings immense pride to the sportsman and everyone around him. If we also look at jallikattu as a pure form of sport and injury is definite.

Regarding the animal rights activist proposing a ban, there are so many other things to fight for and im sure they do not put the activists in limelight ....
Old 16th January 2008, 12:15   #32
BHPian

I agree with the SC on this. Even the cockfights in andhra pradesh should be banned.
Old 16th January 2008, 12:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE: The SC revoked it at the last minute on Tuesday since the TN government assured the SC that it will build in guidelines so that neither the animal or the participant are harmed/injured in the whole event.
Old 16th January 2008, 12:55   #34
Senior - BHPian

Well next the PETA will start targeting kambala!
God why dont they try do something worthwhile
Old 16th January 2008, 13:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Dceite and Khanak....either ban the event or make sure that the animals are treated properly.
Old 16th January 2008, 13:30   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Well next the PETA will start targeting kambala!
You bet. I have noticed PETA for more than a decade, they are basically into sensational activities.

I remember this Fur Shop in East Brunswick, NJ which I used to pass by on a regular basis. Most of the time, there used to be some nut standing with a placard saying "Fur is Murder" or something to that effect. Sometimes they used to try splashing paint at customers wearing fur coats. If the animal murder is the real problem, why don't they stand in front of every McD,BK, Wendy's, KFC, etc with a placard saying Beef/Pork/Chicken is murder? I am sure 1000 times more animals are killed for food than for fur.

Coming back to India, if the Indian PETA chaps are really into ethical treatment of animals, then lobby for better sheltering & butchering facilities for Chicken/Sheep/Pig/Cows, etc. As of now they are couped up and killed in most in-humane manner. Let's accept that we can't stop killing animals for food, let's at least make sure they are killed quickly and painlessly. Instead these PETA (and their ilk) target these annual sport activities which are insignificant in volume but high profile. What are they hoping to gain from these publicity stunts? Surely, nothing for animals.

Check this: PETA Kills Animals | PetaKillsAnimals.com

Last edited by Samurai : 16th January 2008 at 13:31.
Old 16th January 2008, 13:46   #37
Senior - BHPian

Samurai san you've said well. All this is nothing but to gain some 15 secs/minutes/days of fame.

I have a PETA activist friend and once i asked him to help me with four kittens that mother cat gave birth to in our house. I asked him if he could help me find someone who'll take these kittens off my hand through their local hub here in Tvm. He said he can't help because PETA can't find home for homeless animals. Then i asked him what kind of a nice (read as f word) organisation is PETA if you can't at least help me with it. He told me they only fight for animal rights so in short he will not let me dump the cats somewhere and he'll not help me find a home for them.

He suggested that i keep them here in my home for couple of months and once they grow up they'll go somewhere. How stupid. When i asked if he can keep the kittens at his home then and i gave his reason back to him and he did not say anything. But didn't keep the kittens either.

I & my we dad both are allergic to cat fur and we can't possibly keep 4 kittens at home and we already have two which grew up in our home.

So whatever PETA is they will do everything for animals except touch them. Unless it comes in the media they're not interested.
Old 16th January 2008, 13:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Wasn't the decision to ban (then revoke with certain conditions) taken by SC ? It does not matter who files the case. Lets not discuss what PETA does, whether good or bad.
In India where we worship different animals, we treat them so bad compared to other countries.
Old 16th January 2008, 13:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I remember this Fur Shop in East Brunswick, NJ which I used to pass by on a regular basis. Most of the time, there used to be some nut standing with a placard saying "Fur is Murder" or something to that effect. Sometimes they used to try splashing paint at customers wearing fur coats. If the animal murder is the real problem, why don't they stand in front of every McD,BK, Wendy's, KFC, etc with a placard saying Beef/Pork/Chicken is murder? I am sure 1000 times more animals are killed for food than for fur.

Rare & endangered animals are killed for fur whereas Beef/Pork/Chicken/Lamb are bred for the purpose of food. I think there is a lot of difference here, what do you say ?
Old 16th January 2008, 14:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Lets not discuss what PETA does, whether good or bad.
Why not?

I'm not discussing i have put down in writing my own experience with a PETA activist.

Well the good thing might be that the local PETA guys n gals got dressed up as animals and birds and went and sat in front of the Trivandrum Zoo demanding better hygiene and living conditions for animals in the zoo. This i assume was sometime last year. It came in the media, Indian Express.

I really don't know if there was any benefit or not, but our Zoo is undergoing renovation (since a long time...) they still got a lot to do. Maybe PETA could get their hands dirty and help clean the Zoo or atleast do something 'directly' to make animals lives better.

Edit:
e_l, agreed. But still anything that has life in it go through the same pain mentally and physically be it an endangered species or a house cat. And Bulls are not endangered...yet.

What i have to say is that if people or organisation do something they should do it with sincerity and should go the maximum they could to help that cause. They shouldn't be just limelight hoggers.

Last edited by Sankar : 16th January 2008 at 14:06.
Old 16th January 2008, 14:03   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Rare & endangered animals are killed for fur whereas Beef/Pork/Chicken/Lamb are bred for the purpose of food. I think there is a lot of difference here, what do you say ?
Well yes and no. There are actually fur farms (in Denmark, US) where animals like mink are bred specifically for the fur industry. I think the real reason behind anti-fur agitation is because of trapping. i.e. the animal is caught in a trap and suffers for a long time before being killed. They can't shoot it or use any other method for fear of damaging the pelt.
Old 16th January 2008, 14:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Why not?

I really don't know if there was any benefit or not, but our Zoo is undergoing renovation (since a long time...) they still got a lot to do. Maybe PETA could get their hands dirty and help clean the Zoo or atleast do something 'directly' to make animals lives better.
According to you, anyone who protests against something should do it themselves. Everyone has the right to protest.
There are people who are employed by the Zoo who are supposed to maintain it better.
I am still not supporting PETA for everything they do and the way in which they do (selectively). I am just hoping we don't start criticizing everything that PETA does and lose the specific matter.
Old 16th January 2008, 14:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

Mods please edit this thread. The Ban has now been lifted after an assurance from the state that the bulls will not be tortured or ill treated. (How..it still beats me)
Old 16th January 2008, 15:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
According to you, anyone who protests against something should do it themselves. Everyone has the right to protest.
There are people who are employed by the Zoo who are supposed to maintain it better.

I am still not supporting PETA for everything they do and the way in which they do (selectively). I am just hoping we don't start criticizing everything that PETA does and lose the specific matter.
It was your conclusion about what i said.

According to me everyone who protest can set an example.

And according to me if a PETA member can't find a refuge center for 4 small kittens citing that it's not their job and it's not what they do is total bull crap! And he said he was totally helpless. What load of bs. I said okay come with me help me dump the kittens somewhere where they have a chance of survival. And he got totally upset.

Turning veggie is good as a PETA guy but it's not the last thing that one should be 'doing' as a PETA activist.

According to me they're only good for shouting their lungs out to make it to the media.

If i protest for something i will make sure that i'm doing something to help with my cause. If i protest against dirty roads i will pick up litter on my path and put it in the bin. Of course street sweepers are paid to do their job.
Old 19th January 2017, 00:38   #45
BHPian

re: Jallikattu in Tamil Nadu - SC verdict delayed, state ordinance presented to President

We have only seen in movies but it's happening for real in Tamilnadu where people are united through social media and are protesting peacefully for last three days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks