Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2008, 09:54   #1
BHPian

Car Lost in Car Parking: Use your Head

Imagine a situation wherein you are a little far from your car and your remote locking is out of range OR you are not able to find your car in a large Car Parking! It happens right?

Well it happens to me at least, but in a different way. Sometimes when I park my car and am walking away from it, I try to double check whether I locked the car. But the dam remote locking is out of range! What to Do? Well use your Head!

That’s right my friend, just point your keyfobe towards your head and press it again, it will work. I have tried it, (Yeah, was looking a complete fool while doing it !), but then it WORKS! The reasons being that you are using your head as an antenna. (Saw it in Discovery Channel)

Give it a shot! (Can’t comment on the health hazards of it!)
Old 30th January 2008, 10:00   #2
BHPian

Thats weird! never heard of it. Does the same go with mobile phones also?
Old 30th January 2008, 10:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
Thats weird! never heard of it. Does the same go with mobile phones also?
Well in case you talking about beaming the "Car Remote Signals" through your cell phone, it will not work. Here's the reason:

"Cell phones use a higher-powered and higher-frequency radio signal (800 MHz and up, whereas your remote locks operate between 300 and 500 MHz). Cell phones transmit voice and data – they cannot "carry" other radio signals, (unless you are - to believe that your car lock remote works on audible signals that could be 'broadcast' through the phone's speaker)."

Source: Unlock Your Car With Your Cell Phone? - BreakTheChain.org

But I have never tried the cellphone trick!
Old 30th January 2008, 10:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

I know this trick, has been discussed before on team-bhp. I think it has something to do with your teeth, the filling in your teeth have something to do with it, not sure but i think or remember quite lamely.
Old 30th January 2008, 10:24   #5
BHPian

As for the "Use your Head!" technique, Here is what I did exactly:

1. Walked away from the car and ensured that the remote locking was not working using the normal way. (basically went out of the locking range)

2. Pointed the keyfobe in the direction of my forehead (bringing it very close to the forehead) while I was facing the car.

3. Pressed the button and BINGO! It worked!
Old 30th January 2008, 10:26   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
I know this trick, has been discussed before on team-bhp. I think it has something to do with your teeth, the filling in your teeth have something to do with it, not sure but i think or remember quite lamely.
Well the show on Discovery was talking something about our head acting as an Antenna!
Old 30th January 2008, 10:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
Well in case you talking about beaming the "Car Remote Signals" through your cell phone, it will not work. Here's the reason:

"Cell phones use a higher-powered and higher-frequency radio signal (800 MHz and up, whereas your remote locks operate between 300 and 500 MHz). Cell phones transmit voice and data – they cannot "carry" other radio signals, (unless you are - to believe that your car lock remote works on audible signals that could be 'broadcast' through the phone's speaker)."

Source: Unlock Your Car With Your Cell Phone? - BreakTheChain.org

But I have never tried the cellphone trick!
Tired it and ..... didn't work!

Now will try the 'head' thing!
Old 30th January 2008, 11:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

A new way to lock the car when you yourself has forgotten to lock the car? A very nice use of head. Well need to give it a shot.
Old 30th January 2008, 11:43   #9
Team-BHP Support

I live on the 7th floor. Many times after coming up I wonder whether I have locked the car.
So I go to balcony, touch the fob to my head and then lock the car.
Have been using this technique for quite some time.
Anybody who has used the Philips multiband SW radios to listen to BBC news, will know that in case of poor reception just touch the antenna, adjust your direction, and you can enjoy crystal clear broadcasts.
Old 30th January 2008, 13:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Anybody who has used the Philips multiband SW radios to listen to BBC news, will know that in case of poor reception just touch the antenna, adjust your direction, and you can enjoy crystal clear broadcasts.
Yeah. I do remember. Those were the good old days. So our head works as antenna. But how will the signals transmit?
Old 30th January 2008, 13:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Good tip for those heads that are not used much ..Lol !! Waiting to hear more practical tips of using our head for other auto-related topics.
Old 30th January 2008, 13:30   #12
BHPian

will certainly go and try this today....

but one question....do i need to use my head or can i use anyone's head

@tsk1979, 7th floor to gnd floor..thats a huge jump in range...
it should certainly work for me from 1st floor.

and by the way...my autocop came configured so that it locks the car 1 min after i have taken the key out of the ignition.

Regards
Old 30th January 2008, 13:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

This was demonstrated by Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear once upon a time.

Search for the video on you-tube.... and yes, it works. I've tried it out and it does.
Old 30th January 2008, 14:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Be careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
and by the way...my autocop came configured so that it locks the car 1 min after i have taken the key out of the ignition.Regards
My neighbour suffered due to this auto 1 minute locking system. His 1 year old baby was inside while he was removing luggages from the car. It got locked within the set time, he could not find the spare key (it is more scary when you are far from home), baby started crying out of panic, around 50/60 men grouped around to help, but atlast...our ancient method helped the situation break the rear door glass panel with a heavy hammer !! Though it sounds simple, this event created a lot of drama around. As a lesson, I left my plan for autocop !!
Old 30th January 2008, 15:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
As a lesson, I left my plan for autocop !!
Simple thing here is not to program your autocop to this mode of self-locking and that's it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks