Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2008, 21:47   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

A YetiGuide® guide to tattooing!

One of the first things you need to know is that is is a tattoo. Not a tatoo, lol.

Tattoos are fun if that's your sort of thing. It has been done since the time human beings started adorning their bodies and it is no more abnormal than piercing your ears/ nose and wearing rings and anklets.

gov - don't rush it. Never rush it. Unlike every piercing and adornment you can do with your body, the tattoo is the hardest to undo.

Ask yourself if you would still want it 10 years from today. Imagine how silly you would look at the age of 65 with your grandchildren laughing at a mangled saggy Megadeth tattoo on your arm.

Draw it on yourself. Take a look in the mirror a day later. See if you like the way it looks. Then get it done.

Personally I find that an easily recognizable object can get boring in a while. I find a concept, an abstract can hold various meanings at various times and can never get too boring.
I would never recommend a name to anyone. Not because I do not believe in loyalty, but the nature of life is that things tend to go wrong. People can change, tattoos cannot.

There are a million pages one can refer to but they all say mixed things. Allow me to quote from some personal experiences.

Pain is an inevitable part of a tattoo. The degree of pain depends on
  • The type of tattoo - if it is a line drawing, a shaded drawing or a solid drawing.

You see, if you want a solid tattoo, the artist may strap and solder multiple needles together to make a thick brush. This will cause pain.
  • The location of the tattoo - Areas with fat will pain less. Typically the same areas where you would get an injection.
    Your bottom, hips, arms etc are ideal to get tattoos. Sensitive areas like your inner thighs, inner arms etc will sting more.
    There is no worse pain than a needle striking bone. One of the worst places to get a tattoo is on the ball of your ankle. I know this from personal experience. The skin is thin and almost fat free. When the needle strikes bone no amount of clenching helps.
    What is worse is that your leg swells up later. Badly.
Avoid tattoos that run across joints like your elbow, shoulder and knee joint. Due to the constant moving and stretching of skin, it takes too long to heal and most probably will not heal perfectly.

For girls - while it is fun to get your upper back/ lower shoulder tattooed - do not forget the fact that the bra strap will rub constantly against it and cause it to fade in a while. It will look bad.

Moisturize the tattoo for as long as you live and avoid the sun and it will remain healthy and brightly coloured for years and years.

Next: More advice.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2008, 22:09   #2
BHPian

wah wah wah

Sam knows something (actually quite a lot) about almost everything!!

Sam - become a writer or atleast a columnist. You will earn quite a fan following.
Old 30th January 2008, 22:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

A YetiGuide® to tattooing - part 2

Can you avoid the pain? Not really. I find that the pain is part of the process.
Remember that anti inflammatory and pain killing drugs do not work.
A local anaestheitic like Xylocaine will not work either - it only works on mucous membrane to be absorbed by the capillaries. Ordinary skin will not absorb Xylocaine.

What does work to a fair degree is Emla (also called primla in India). This is a topical cream that you apply on the area you intend to tattoo. However after you apply it, you need to apply an air tight plastic bandage on it for an hour. This will reduce sensitivity.

As someone rightly pointed out, do not consume alcohol. Alcohol thins the blood and will increase the bleeding during the process.

The days after the tattoo are most sensitive. Many cases result in a staph infection. This can happen even though you use a brand new needle.
Staphylococcal skin infections take a while to go away and can cause many ugly dark spots on and around the tattoo.

The only cure for skin infections is antibiotics, penicillin derivatives - a mixture of Amoxycillin and Cloxacillin is your best answer.

Every time I have had a dental operation, the desntist has recommended I take a broad spectrum antibiotic (something like Ampicillin500) for 3 days before the operation.

Using the same logic I prefer to take Ampiclox500 or Suprimox500 for 3 days before I get the tattoo done. I continue to take these for 2 days after the tattooing is done.

Disclaimer: I do not recommend the use of any antibiotics without medical supervision.

A nice medicated moisturizer with aloe vera is excellent for the next few days while healing. Some people also recommend the use of Silverex cream (the same cream that is used to treat burnt skin) to speed up the healing process.

Do NOT pick at the scab. let the skin heal and let it fall off naturally.

Last edited by F50 : 31st January 2008 at 12:04.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2008, 22:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiPhotos® - My famous tattoo(day 1) - Warning, marginally graphic.

Before. Notice the smallish tattoo on my ankle. I was not enjoying it. Plus it was not done properly and the ink was rapidly fading.

Shortly after my leg was shaved. The process was to take 6 to 8 hours at least, divided over 2 to 3 seatings.

I did not want an existing design. I was looking at a spiky, freehand islandman. The artist had to draw and redraw many times on my leg till I was finally satisfied.

Once I was satisfied with the outline, we proceeded to make an outline tattoo, with 3 needles strapped together to make a thickish outline.

The End of Day one saw the complete outline. It took almost 5 hours, but this was mainly because of the free hand drawing. I decided to give it a few days to heal.

The outlining around the ankle ball area had been worse than I could imagine. It was really scaring me thinking of the full inking.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2008, 22:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Places

On the ball of your ankle, Sam? An ice breaker on the beach no doubt. And, some seedy clubs I have been into in Paharganj.

Givigov, you know that it has been scientically proven that tattoo ink attracts scorpions don't you? Be DOUBLY careful where you place it. I can think of some bad places to get stung, places where your friends may be slow to come to your assistance. But, if you insist try Bunty's Body Shop on the South side.
Old 30th January 2008, 23:29   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiPhotos® - My famous tattoo(day 2) - Warning, marginally graphic.

A few days later, I steeled myself and went back for day 2. It was quite painful even before he started.
But this was mainly because of the psy trance music that was blaring through the horrid Sony speakers.

And so here we go:

9 needles were strapped together and soldered. I was very clear in my requirements. A solid islandman. No shading no wimpy lines.
9 needles together made a brush of impressive girth.

At the end of day 2 - I had to stuff tissues under my feet as the shoes were getting ruined with blood. That's one problem with getting solid inking done.

Old 30th January 2008, 23:38   #7
BHPian

Sam: Did you get these tatoos done in India?
Old 31st January 2008, 00:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Here comes the Yeti Guide to tattoo'ing . I love it and Sam nice to have you back here.

Where'z n_aditya he too has got a pretty big tattoo done and almost similar like your tattoo Sam.
Old 31st January 2008, 03:02   #9
BHPian

Sam, I have a question for you. When the tattoo is on the leg,where the atmosphere tends to be a little hairy depending on the individual, what happens to the look of the tattoo when the hair grows back? Or does it at all?

Last edited by fiery enzyme : 31st January 2008 at 03:04.
Old 31st January 2008, 09:43   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
Sam, I have a question for you. When the tattoo is on the leg,where the atmosphere tends to be a little hairy depending on the individual, what happens to the look of the tattoo when the hair grows back? Or does it at all?
The hair grows back just fine, over the tattoo. This is why I would recommend a dark, solid tattoo in areas where you will have a lot of hair. This makes sure that the look stays the same.
A detailed tattoo, with shading and colours should be done in an area with less hair, otherwise the hair with darken and blur the tattoo- OR be prepared to shave often.
Just remember to moisturize EVERY time, 10 minutes before and immediately after shaving over the tattoo.
Old 31st January 2008, 11:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

kya apne par julum karva rahe ho. But it looks nice.
Old 31st January 2008, 12:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
. People can change, tattoos cannot.

tabhi aapne apni girlphriend kaa naam nahin likhwaya kya??

on a serious note, bhery bhery emotional touch in this line....SAM bhaiya, dil ke taar ched diye aapne toh!

Last edited by panky12345 : 31st January 2008 at 12:37.
Old 31st January 2008, 13:26   #13
Team-BHP Support

I've wanted to start the tattoo show-off thread since long, would slip outta my mind everytime!
I got mine last april, birthday gift to myself. Was long due, but i could not think of something that i'd want 10-15 years from now.
Initially, this friend and i (who already had a tattoo) were gonna get a raging bull (with a paw in mid air) with 'only the strong survive' around it, but i soon decided against thinking i would not want it in distant future, it probably may not be something i identify with in future.

Soon enough, i realised what i wanted to get done, the Khanda. Many would know what it is, for the others, it is probably the most righteous Sikh symbol, and indicates the warrior tribe ways. The Khanda in simple words is a shield with two swords.
I had always worn one in my neck, since almost six years then, and i was certain that i would always identify with it.

Then came the next deciding factor, the body part i wanted it. I wanted it to be slightly discrete and at the same time convenient if i had to show-off my tatoo. So, it landed on my back, just below the neck. While getting it done, i was told it would be a little more painful than usual as that area has nerve endings.

Who would do it, wasn't really a deciding factor, Dr. Kohiyar. Probably the oldest guy around here, and fromn what i am told trained a couple of the famous boys in bandra too. Simple place he has, not a fancy tattoo boutique, professionalism and equipment is worth a mention. Inconvenient part is that he works only between 10 - 1 a.m. and does not work sundays too.

I asked him for anesthesia when i had gone to discuss the tattoo with him, and he said he doesnt give any anesthesia as half the fun of the tattoo is taken away. The pain is an important part of getting a tattoo, and apparently just after the last prick i'd wanna get my second tattoo. Yes, thats exactly how i felt after i was done with mine. Since then i've been thinking on my next tattoo, and haven't been able to decide on anything!!

Will post a picture once i find one on the HD, or there was another one in a meet thread. Will search and post that.

manson.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2008, 13:59   #14
BHPian

nice write up sam, and i completely agree, i got my first one a while back and i must say it is an addiction once you get one you just cant stop...

Last edited by whatcanthisbe : 31st January 2008 at 14:04.
whatcanthisbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2008, 14:13   #15
BHPian

awesome tattooooo there....So 'Memoirs of a trip to Thailand' haan?!?!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks