Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2008, 11:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
Whats a cordless drill "driver" janaab
A cordless drill-driver is a combination of drill and screw-driver: low/high speed drill with low/medium torque + low speed/high torque screw driver setting. Q.v. Cordless Drill Drivers

There are also cordless hammer drill - driver versions. Q.v. Cordless Hammer Drill & Rotary Hammer Drill : TOOLFETCH

Both come with keyless chucks for easy bit changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
A cordless drill will be too expensive especially Bosch. For home use, a normal drill would suffice
Convenience costs, but lack of it pinches badly sometimes. Especially when you are on the last few holes and power goes off!
Old 4th February 2008, 11:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Convenience costs, but lack of it pinches badly sometimes. Especially when you are on the last few holes and power goes off!
Last few holes and the battery dies on you. Stick it into the charger and find there's a power outage! LOL. You can't win against Murphy.

IMHO, a corded drilling machine is well suited for the stated requirements. Cordless machines will ask for a new battery pack a few years down the line - a completely avoidable expense!
A 1/3 HP, reversible, variable speed, hammer drill should do fine.
Good bits are, of course, indispensable. For use in masonry or concrete, a hammer drill is a must along with good quality carbide-tipped masonry bits.
Old 4th February 2008, 16:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
You can't win against Murphy.
Very true, Mathur-sahab. (Well, you can have another battery, like most DIYers do, but that's not the point). I have persisted with a simple 2 speed hammer drill for the last 20+ years. Bought a Bosch cordless screw-driver, when I couldn't find one of those speed reducer screw driver attachments that were popular 10-15 years back. Before that, even I had stripped a lot of screw heads and threads using a screw-driver bit to tighten screws with a drill.

The cordless part is for the convenience of taking it wherever you go without needing an extension cord.
Old 4th February 2008, 17:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... when I couldn't find one of those speed reducer screw driver attachments that were popular 10-15 years back. Before that, even I had stripped a lot of screw heads and threads using a screw-driver bit to tighten screws with a drill.
Having closely observed carpenters in Delhi, I learnt (many years ago) that there is no need to tighten/rotate screws with a screwdriver. Simply make a 'pilot' hole and hammer the darned thingy in!!
I guess a screw-driver bit on a hammer drill would be very handy indeed!
Old 4th February 2008, 22:09   #20
BHPian

Drill

Hi,

Got the Drill today.

Drill > Bosch GSB 10 RE
Cost after discounts - Rs 2,496/-

Has the following options
- Forward / Reverse rotation
- Hammer Drill

Also got a Bosch Drill bit kit

Cost after discounts - Rs 596/-

Includes
- 10 bits for Steel
1,2,3,4,4.8,5,6,7,8 & 10mm

- 5 bits for Concrete
4,5,6,7 & 8mm

- 4 bits for wood
4,5,6 & 8mm

The cordless drills were starting at 10k, So dropped the idea as this is all that I need.
Old 5th February 2008, 01:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
A cordless drill-driver is a combination of drill and screw-driver: low/high speed drill with low/medium torque + low speed/high torque screw driver setting. Q.v. Cordless Drill Drivers

There are also cordless hammer drill - driver versions. Q.v. Cordless Hammer Drill & Rotary Hammer Drill : TOOLFETCH

Both come with keyless chucks for easy bit changing.

thanks for the link.
Deralte phappe, i suggested a normal drill because of the requirements.

although a battery powered drill will drill holes in concrete, the battery will discharge rapidly. and if one keeps on drilling in concrete, i don't know how long a cordless drill will last.

i have a corded drill machine for heavy jobs cause i don't wanna spoil my cordless drill.

IMO, cordless drill machined are best used as a screw driver or for minor drilling work(im talking about the not so expensive ones)

correct me if im wrong.

cheers
clip.
Old 25th March 2008, 23:20   #22
KTC

Is there a Bosch showroom in Mumbai ?
Old 3rd May 2008, 16:41   #23
BHPian

Even I am looking for a cordless drill / Hammer. Saw few abroad but the charger came with 220V /60Hz. Any idea if ‘Black & Decker’ available in Bangalore / India?
Old 4th May 2008, 19:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpid View Post
Even I am looking for a cordless drill / Hammer. Saw few abroad but the charger came with 220V /60Hz. Any idea if ‘Black & Decker’ available in Bangalore / India?
The 220V/60Hz charger would have done just fine here!
Black & Decker should be available in Bangalore.
Do check out the generic Chinese imports which come at a fraction of the cost. If you're a light/weekend user, these would be fine for you.
Old 4th May 2008, 21:53   #25
BHPian

I second that. I bought a Chinese drill (power colt) because i use it once every few months or so and it works just fine.

Quote:
If you're a light/weekend user, these would be fine for you.
Old 5th May 2008, 08:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
I second that. I bought a Chinese drill (power colt) because i use it once every few months or so and it works just fine.
Aditya, looking at your avatar, aren't you too young to be playing with power tools!?

LOL, just kidding!
Old 5th May 2008, 09:50   #27
BHPian

That isnt me, its Schumi !!

Quote:
Aditya, looking at your avatar, aren't you too young to be playing with power tools!?

LOL, just kidding!
Old 5th May 2008, 10:29   #28
BHPian

Last 3 years, I am using some German made power drill with Hammer drill capacity, high/low speed control as well as reverse rotation.

It costed me Rs350 and (+ Rs400 for bits).
I bought at Hardware shop at SP Road Bangalore, just oppsite to copper wire vendor(Ambika).
Old 5th May 2008, 18:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Last 3 years, I am using some German made power drill with Hammer drill capacity, high/low speed control as well as reverse rotation.

It costed me Rs350 and (+ Rs400 for bits).
Sorry, cannot believe! There's a dreadful mistake somewhere!
Old 6th May 2008, 15:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, cannot believe! There's a dreadful mistake somewhere!
No my friend! There is no mistake. That drill is serving me and I am using in concrete wall as well as my metal work (thick Aluminium and some 10mm Iron/steel too).
I am a DIY'ist.

Last edited by omishra : 6th May 2008 at 15:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks