Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2008, 09:15   #31
BHPian

Pepsi safely reached Coimbatore

Hello all,

Finaly pepsi has reached Coimbatore yesterday.

My assignment got delayed and hence the plans were postponed to June.
To my horror,upon enquiry,I was told by Commercial Superindent,Indian Railways,Pune that they no longer allow pets in First class compartment too.He told me I will have to keep her only in the brake van,which I was never ready to do.

To make matters worse,I had to leave early to Chennai and the responsibility of shifting pepsi safely to Coimbatore fell on my wife and FIL.

For a brief while,we considered shipping her by air.But were worried a lot after hearing about the less survival percentage for fully grown dogs.While enquiring with Jet airways,they too mentioned this and said their cargo doesnt accept dogs older than 3 months.

Briefly,very briefly,we even thought about letting her go on adoption to another home as we didnt want to take any risk.But one look at her innocent face and that thought went out of the window.

Finaly,we decided to transport Pepsi by road.We hired an Innova from Pune to Coimbatore.My wife and my FIL too came along with Pepsi.We consulted our vet and he gave a thumbsup for this option.Took her for a precautionary checkup and took some basic medicines from the vet.

So the D-day arrived.My wife and FIL along with Pepsi started from Pune on 17th June and reached Bangalore the same day night.They stayed at my uncle's place.Started again from Bangalore on 18th morning and reached Coimbatore y'day evening around 7.The entire journey was uneventful.They took a break every 2-3 hours to take pepsi for a walk and also gave her lot of fluids during the journey.To all our surprise Pepsi adapted very well and hence it was easy for them to handle her.

Ofcourse travel by road option cost me a lot.But,we were ready to spend that to keep her with us.My friends told me I have lost it to spend so much for a dog.But I think the ardent pet lover's here will understand my mentality.

Thanks for all your wishes as well.

-Jey

PS:Mods,please edit the title of this thread to reflect the new status.
PPS:We all were too worried on how Pepsi would adapt to this travel.Hence no pics were taken during the journey.Shall upload pics of Pepsi in her new home very soon :-)
Old 19th June 2008, 10:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Jraj

I was wondering what happened about this issue since there were no updates from your side. I'm glad you took the decision to take her by road. That was by far the best option. I'm happy shes home with you. It is always easy to think of adoption but when the time comes you really cannot do it.

Quote:
Ofcourse travel by road option cost me a lot.But,we were ready to spend that to keep her with us.My friends told me I have lost it to spend so much for a dog.But I think the ardent pet lover's here will understand my mentality.
The money we spend on dogs actually doesnt compare to the unconditional love we get from these animals. Trust me its very difficult to live without them once they come into your life. People will talk so its best to lend a deaf ear.

Waiting for Pepsis pictures.
Old 19th June 2008, 11:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
My friends told me I have lost it to spend so much for a dog.
The people who can say this will never understand what unconditional love is.

I am waiting for Pepsi's pictures too.
Old 19th June 2008, 11:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Innova charges are 15Rs\km and for Tavera it is 9Rs\km
That is an exorbitant amount !! Charges in N. India for a new AC Innova is 9 Rs / Km after the recent Increase. Why So much of a difference !!

How much did you end up paying finally ??

Quote:
Briefly,very briefly,we even thought about letting her go on adoption to another home as we didnt want to take any risk.But one look at her innocent face and that thought went out of the window.
I cannot even think of doing this !!

Money is secondary, the love these dogs give you is priceless.

Thanks God, your Pepsi is safe in the new house. Give a pat from my side

Last edited by vkochar : 19th June 2008 at 11:28.
Old 19th June 2008, 11:34   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

Finaly pepsi has reached Coimbatore yesterday.
Great to hear that pepsi has reached Coimbatore safely. Do post pictures of Pepsi.

Well Done, nice to see your family and you care so much for your pet .
Old 19th June 2008, 13:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

Finaly pepsi has reached Coimbatore yesterday...
Great news!

Quote:
...My friends told me I have lost it to spend so much for a dog.But I think the ardent pet lover's here will understand my mentality.
So true!

Quote:
...Shall upload pics of Pepsi in her new home very soon :-)
Waiting for them.

EDIT: Sorry for being OT: but hey, what the... my post count is staying at 599 for the last 3~4 posts! Mods - SOS!!! (And there were no posts of mine deleted)

Last edited by HappyWheels : 19th June 2008 at 13:58.
Old 19th June 2008, 14:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

3 cheers to you jraj. I can understand your feelings very very well. Money & effort are really secondary to the love & bond that is shared. Proud of you.
Old 19th June 2008, 14:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
EDIT: Sorry for being OT: but hey, what the... my post count is staying at 599 for the last 3~4 posts! Mods - SOS!!! (And there were no posts of mine deleted)
Shifting Gears post are not counted to your post tally.......hence the post count is the same

Abhi
Old 19th June 2008, 14:35   #39
Team-BHP Support

I saw an article in ET travel that railways allows dogs in First class compartments. It was a user report of the same.
She paid 520rs for 2 dogs as "luggage charge", along with their first class fare
Old 19th June 2008, 16:22   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
That is an exorbitant amount !! Charges in N. India for a new AC Innova is 9 Rs / Km after the recent Increase. Why So much of a difference !!
How much did you end up paying finally ??
We paid 8Rs\Km.

@All:Thanks again for your wishes.
Old 19th June 2008, 17:37   #41
BHPian

For proof that you can travel on Indian Railways with your pet please see the following article in the Economic Times :
Who says travelling by train is passe now?- ET Travel-Features-The Economic Times
Old 19th June 2008, 19:46   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
jraj : Briefly,very briefly,we even thought about letting her go on adoption to another home as we didnt want to take any risk. But one look at her innocent face and that thought went out of the window.
Jey, glad that you didnt let go of Pepsi. Can feel what you say.

From what you have said, I feel you have taken good care during the journey.
Old 19th June 2008, 20:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hey, great to hear that you got it done!

Quote:
For a brief while,we considered shipping her by air.But were worried a lot after hearing about the less survival percentage for fully grown dogs.
Thats strange. Why would that be?
Old 19th June 2008, 20:27   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Hey, great to hear that you got it done!
Thats strange. Why would that be?
Dogs have to be sedated before the flight begins.They are kept in specific cages inside the cargo hold of the aircraft.Sedation + altitude + fear\anxiety mix is very very dangerous for fully grown dogs.
Thanks for the ET article.I had downloaded the pages from Indian railways website which said that dogs could be carried in FC compartments.My wife and FIL took print outs of them when they went to Pune station to meet the officials concerned.But those guys told them rules have changed.Maybe they were ignorant or maybe they dont like dogs.

Anyways,now that pepsi has moved safely I am not bothered.Maybe in future if I want to take her with me somewhere,this info will be helpful.
Old 19th June 2008, 21:29   #45
Team-BHP Support

Great news and best decision/option to transport your pet. Say bow wow from us and do post a picture.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks