Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2008, 12:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
so basically we cannot import from US
You can if you get the car converted to a RHD and if is not older than three years old. If it is older than it would attract a penalty over and above the duty payable.
There are numerous threads like mentioned by Spawnofsatan discussing the issue of Import of a car or bike.

@ Cannonball the car would attract duty even if it is a Gift or Inheritance. Example being Sachin Tendulkars Ferrari which was claimed to be a gift. The duty was paid on the car.
Old 15th October 2008, 14:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Speedy - Sachins car was brand new...do you mean I don't need to be a returning Indian on TR and the car does not have to be registered in my name for 1 year etc? Which means I can be gifted a used car tommorrow and ship it out to India the day after and clear it by paying duty which I am assuming is the same as the TR (150%)? cheers
Old 15th October 2008, 14:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Speedy - Sachins car was brand new...do you mean I don't need to be a returning Indian on TR and the car does not have to be registered in my name for 1 year etc? Which means I can be gifted a used car tommorrow and ship it out to India the day after and clear it by paying duty which I am assuming is the same as the TR (150%)? cheers
Wouldn't world be a better place if things were so easy?
I have no idea how will anyone import an inheritance or a gift, and how much would be the duty applicable. But I am sure it would not be as easy as this.

Maybe some hidden costs with the customs. And some obscene penalty the gift/inheritance.

And if at all its this simple, kindly lemme know. Got a rx7 and a ml430 lying with my cousin, which he doesnt use. He wouldn't sending them here as long as they are taken care of.
Old 22nd October 2008, 01:03   #19

guys am figuring this out myself but like most of the others said the car MUST be rhd and have speedometer in kmph. here is my basic understanding of the used car import situation -
1. if you want to directly import it, it should have been manufactured in the past 3 years
2. if its received as a result of a will(after the person's death) then i don't think customs duty applies
3. if its received as a gift i don't think year of manufacture matters but there is customs duty which is like 150%
4. bringing a car using TR(transfer of residence) also attracts customs duty of around 150%

forgot to mention, duty is charged on depreciated value of the vehicle subject to a max of 70% of its first showroom price
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:18   #20
BHPian

I think depreciation is like 3% or so for every quarter, its a huge headache to import a used car, I had picked Speedy's brain forever about inof on importing a car...he helped me out a lot....

Does anyone know what the rules are for Salvage vehicles, vehicles that are now fixed but have a salvage title from the DMV.
Old 22nd October 2008, 13:02   #21

actually the depreciation is more like 4% every quarter for the first year, 3% every quarter for the second year, 2 and half every quarter for third year and 2% every quarter for each year after the third
Old 22nd October 2008, 14:34   #22
BHPian

Any idea what the penalty is for getting a car that is older than 3 years?

Any place in India where I can go personally and get updated info?
Old 22nd October 2008, 14:46   #23

i don't think you'll be allowed to bring it (ie) customs might seize the car. will find out and post here in a couple of days
Old 22nd October 2008, 17:01   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I had compiled this writeup a long-time back. Maybe it could be of help to some of you.

NOTE : I haven't double-checked this article for accuracy so please refer with caution. Also, any corrections would be appreciated:

The basics:

• The car has to be a right-hand-drive. Left-hand drive automobiles are prohibited from entering the country (except for consulates and some other special categories).
• The Indian Government has entirely banned individuals importing cars whose engine capacity ranges from 1000 - 2500 cc.
• New Cars can be imported via the customs port at Mumbai, Calcutta and Chennai.
• Used cars can be imported from the Mumbai port only. Also, the used car cannot be older than three years (from the date of manufacture). The Exim policy of 2001 lifted quantitative restrictions on importing used cars.

On customs duty:

• The ex-factory price is used for calculating customs duty.
• The customs duty is a standard 102.16% on new cars
• The customs duty is pegged at 159.87% on used cars.
• To view the depreciation table of used cars, click here : Linky.
• Completed knocked down cars attract a customs duty of anywhere between 38 to 48%.
• Under the EPCG scheme, hotels / hospitality establishments are subject to minimal duty / taxes. However, they are subject to certain foreign exchange requirements.
• If you import from Europe, you will get a refund of the VAT (value added tax).

On transfer of residence:

• The most popular way of importing a car to India is via the “Transfer of residence” clause, where any Indian (settled abroad) who is relocating to India can get his car along. He should have owned the car for atleast 12 months in the foreign country. Upon import, the car cannot be sold for 2 years (from the date of import).
• The NRI importing the car should have lived overseas for atleast a 2 year duration.
• The payment for the car should have been made abroad.
• The car must be imported within 6 months of the NRIs arrival into India.
• Under this scheme, the customs duty must be paid in foreign exchange. If a handicapped person is importing the car, then the customs duty may be paid in Indian rupees. Official permission is required before selling the car in India.

On who can import

• Any individual can import a car whose value is more than USD 40000. There are no restrictions on the imports of these cars. So as most of the exotics are above that value, they can be imported freely and not necessarily on T.R.
• Foreign nationals (including persons of Indian origin) married to Indian nationals. The methodology adopted by Customs authorities in assessing duty on a motor vehicle is based on the ex-factory price on the date of original purchase. Adjustments are made for:

1) Foreign nationals working in India.
2) Branch/Offices of foreign firms, Companies and institutions established in India.
3) Companies incorporated in India having foreign/NRI equity
4) Accredited Journalists/Correspondents of foreign news agencies.
5) Indian firms executing contracts abroad.
6) Charitable and Missionary Institutions.
7) Physically handicapped persons.
8) Honorary Consuls of Foreign Governments.

On paperwork and documentation required:

• Cars costing more than $40,000 do NOT have to undergo homologation from the ARAI. If the cars value is less than $40,000, the vehicle has to be submitted for testing to the VRDE (Vehicle Research and Development Establishment), Ahmednagar, of the Ministry of Defence or the ARAI (Automotive Research Association of India), Pune or the Central Farm and Machinery Training and Testing Institute, Madhya Pradesh or any other notified testing agency by the Government.
• The importing agency is expected, at the time of importation, to submit a certificate issued by a testing agency (notified by the Central Government) that the second hand vehicle being imported has been tested immediately before shipment and that the vehicle conforms to all the regulations specified in the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
• The second hand or used vehicle imported into India should have a minimum roadworthiness for a period of 5 years from the date of importation into India with assurance for providing service facilities within the country during the five year period. For this purpose, the importer shall, at the time of importation, submit a declaration indicating the period of roadworthiness in respect of every individual vehicle being imported, supported by a certificate issued by any of the testing agencies, which the Central Government may notify in this regard.

Miscellany:

• What’s listed above is what the rules say. Please don’t state that you saw a LHD (or something similar) since these rules are broken consistently. Bribing is rampant and some of the rules you read above may have been bypassed (unfortunately).
• Beware of dealer rackets. There have been several well-documented cases of an imported car dealer manipulating the import documentation. In case the long arms of law catch up, it is the owner (and not the dealer) who is liable to pay duties, taxes and fines.
• The rebadging racket is rampant in order to qualify for lower custom duties. For e.g. a BMW M5 may be rebadged to a BMW 525 and thus show a lower invoice price.
• It’s best to hire the services of a competent and reputable clearing agent who is well familiar with the process of importing a car. This can save you a lot of running around and headaches.
• Since the customs duty on spare parts or completely knocked down kits is significantly lower, it is not uncommon for an importer to strip a car (of seats, headlights, tyres etc) and document it as a CKD.

Official websites:

http://www.dgftmumbai.nic.in/
Mumbai Customs
http://www.indian-embassy.dk/Pages/i...20of%20car.htm
Old 22nd October 2008, 23:58   #25
BHPian

@GTO - That was very informative....Do you think this info is pretty updated though?
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:25   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Except for minor updates from the recent past (possibly but not sure), I think it should be spot-on.
Old 27th October 2008, 11:34   #27

@GTO - Yes the description was spot on except i think the duty for used cars is around 180% and its calculated on the depreciated value of the car including freight charge. i saw a page which gives the duty payable if you know the depreciated value, will search and post it here
Old 1st May 2009, 15:58   #28
BHPian

So basically , if my car is more than 3 years old (say made in 2001) then I cant bring it back to India even if its in infinitely better condition than scores other that wreak havoc on the roads? Is there any way around this?
Old 1st May 2009, 18:23   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
So basically , if my car is more than 3 years old (say made in 2001) then I cant bring it back to India even if its in infinitely better condition than scores other that wreak havoc on the roads? Is there any way around this?
If you have owned the car earlier for over a year, I think it can be brought over. Best to clarify though
Old 1st May 2009, 20:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

I think it is possible to import a car which has engine capacity less than 2500cc by paying "Special Additional Duty" on it. EVO Xs have been brought down under this rule.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks