Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2008, 10:35   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I dont believe that any state has generally better drivers as suggested by someone. we are all the same anywhere in India.
Right said. We are all the same. I drive here i curse the idiots here. I go back to my home town and i curse the idiots there.

-- Torqy
Old 21st February 2008, 11:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Right said. We are all the same. I drive here i curse the idiots here. I go back to my home town and i curse the idiots there.

-- Torqy
The best way to put it! Guess this just sums up what all of us do.
Old 23rd March 2008, 16:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Accidents in Tamilnadu are so common , You can see atleast one accident most of them are lorries .
Old 23rd March 2008, 17:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Maybe there is a direct relation between length of road network in a state and the number of accidents? Longer the network, more the chances of a road accident!
And according to wikipedia, TN has a total road length of 167,000 kms, which is nearly 2.5 times higher than the density of all India road network. In the light of that fact, the news isnt really susprising.
Yup. Two of the more industrialized states, too - more commercial traffic, more vehicles on the road etc.

No surprises there.
Old 24th March 2008, 04:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
and more over money spent uselessly watering these plants using a tanker that moves slowly or the workers with out sense keep running along the highway while working.
These tankers are a big hazard, since they don't have any signals warning there is an almost stationary object in the right most lane...
Old 25th March 2008, 16:31   #21
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
road accidents in India

Any idea why southern states are high on the loss of lives list. Please Please do not make it a north vs south arguments. Lets be objective.
Old 28th March 2008, 23:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

4421 accidental deaths in Kerala during the past year.

Kerala also has a large road network. If I remember correctly it has the highest road density in India.

"Kerala has 145,704 kilometers (90,539 mi) of roads (4.2% of India's total). This translates to about 4.62 kilometers (2.87 mi) of road per thousand population, compared to an all India average of 2.59 kilometers (1.61 mi). Virtually all of Kerala's villages are connected by road. Traffic in Kerala has been growing at a rate of 10–11% every year, resulting in high traffic and pressure on the roads. Kerala's road density is nearly four times the national average, reflecting the state's high population density."

Source: Kerala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As per government reports, the total accidental deaths in Kerala during the past year has been 4421. As reported in Deepika.
Attached Thumbnails
Largest number of road accidents in Tamil Nadu & Maharashtra-kerala_accidents_200708.jpg  

Old 28th March 2008, 23:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
Any idea why southern states are high on the loss of lives list. Please Please do not make it a north vs south arguments. Lets be objective.
Thats probably because the population is more evenly distributed in the south, at least in Kerala. It is not like the heavily crowded cities, and rural areas with almost no signs of development and less population as you see in the north. "The whole state looks like a single village" was the comment of a foreign tourist. Per-capita income is also high. These factors translates into more vehicles on roads, heavy-medium traffic density everywhere, and thus, probability of accidents are comparatively high.
Old 1st April 2008, 14:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Dunno why but I am seeing too many accidents in last couple of days.

Sunday i saw a man (biker) run over by a local bus near big bazaar, vadaplani. His head was crushed and his blood or brains was flowing on the road. Learnt that he was riding sans a helmet.

Witnessed a hit and run incident yesterday near Madhya kailash traffic junction enroute from Tidel Park (Chennai).

Some nitwit was driving fast and wanted to overtake me. I was in the middle lane and there were some bikers in the left lane. The guy in the grey accent (TN-07 AX xxxx) was clipping in the right most lane and wanted to overtake me.

I had to shift to the right lane slightly as one biker was overtaking another biker. This caused the accent guy to step on his brakes and he got mighty pissed (he was trying to squeeze in). What was the hurry i dont understand.

I gave way and when he passed me I could see that he was pointing his hand at me and swearing at me (thru the closed tinted windows). He passed me almost missing the turn and then whaaaapppp !!!! Some local was crossing the road (it was dark at the turning) and this accent guy slammed the brakes... but too late. Clipped the local near the right side of the hood, the local flipped in the air, bounced off the hood and was thrown to the ground. When i passed the spot i could hear loose coins falling to the ground which was in the local's pocket (i was around 30 feet behind the accent)

The driver didnt stop and made his getaway quickly towards Kotturpuram. He didnt make the getaway in a very fast manner. Just weaved in and out of traffic so as to not attract any attention but i got his plates. Noticed his right front was dented and ORVM was hanging.

Took a U and went to the madhyakailash junction but no cops. Tried callin 100 and got user busy on my cell. Went to tidel traffic junction and spotted the highway patrol vehicle. Honked my @$$ off and flashed lights and got him to stop. Gave vehicle description and number and went to accident spot. Luckily the guy was alive. Dont know how serious though. He had a head injury and had lost quite a lot of blood. Ambulance was called. Hope he recovers.

2 points to note - dont cross the road at curves especially when dark and dont drive fast in city limts. Drive carefully enough to ensure safe braking distance.

Last edited by n_aditya : 1st April 2008 at 14:03.
Old 1st April 2008, 14:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Dunno why but I am seeing too many accidents in last couple of days. .
too bad friend, just looks like you are in the right place at the 'wrong' time, happy you were of help.

Ps - (no hard feelings, just helping u) please limit the smilieys to 2, I got 1 infraction early in my TBHP life because of that.

cheers
san
Old 1st April 2008, 14:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took a U and went to the madhyakailash junction but no cops. Tried callin 100 and got user busy on my cell. Went to tidel traffic junction and spotted the highway patrol vehicle. Honked my @$$ off and flashed lights and got him to stop. Gave vehicle description and number and went to accident spot. Luckily the guy was alive. Dont know how serious though. He had a head injury and had lost quite a lot of blood. Ambulance was called. Hope he recovers.

Good work aditya, but next time call 103 if it is a traffic related offence. you can do that from your mobile without any prefix.

Quote:
Some local was crossing the road (it was dark at the turning) and this accent guy slammed the brakes... but too late. Clipped the local near the right side of the hood, the local flipped in the air, bounced off the hood and was thrown to the ground. When i passed the spot i could hear loose coins falling to the ground which was in the local's pocket (i was around 30 feet behind the accent)

Was the guy in the car an alien ?
Old 1st April 2008, 14:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Ps - (no hard feelings, just helping u) please limit the smilieys to 2, I got 1 infraction early in my TBHP life because of that.
thanks dude. post has been edited and extra smiley deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
next time call 103 if it is a traffic related offence. you can do that from your mobile without any prefix.
Thanks for the tip john.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks