Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2008, 17:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Flying By Jet to US - Any experiences?

Jet is offering ridiculously low fares on this route, something called a special economy class(Wonder what special is - normal economy seats on a twin sharing basis?). Sounds too good to be true.

Anybody has first/second hand experiences?

Disclaimer - I hope I can ask this question on t-BHP and the section is right. If not - mods, sorry to trouble you.

Last edited by kuttapan : 5th March 2008 at 17:55. Reason: Spelling mistakes, as always
Old 5th March 2008, 17:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Just curious...
how much is it? Does it depend on the time of booking? Meaning booking to be done before say 3 months etc?
Old 5th March 2008, 18:04   #3
BHPian

Ok.. Here I go.. Flying Jet To Newark From Mumbai..
This was on August last year..
THe plane looks good.. compared to the air india and austrian arlines I've travelled before

It is almost nonstop.. One stop in brussels to Refuel and we get 2 hours to look at the brussels scenery.

I thought It might be late.. But it arrived On time.. in Newark.. All flights were delayed out of Newark that day due to rain..

they have some nice entertainment system. and the best part is you can pause the movie and all if you have to do something.. Like talking to the airhostess...

The fare was 36K.. all the way to chicago.. (student discounted)..booked 2 weeks before.. one way.
Old 5th March 2008, 18:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Jet is offering ridiculously low fares on this route, something called a special economy class(Wonder what special is - normal economy seats on a twin sharing basis?). Sounds too good to be true.
There are limited seats on each flight for these fares - everything else is the same as the normal Economy class.

I've been told by our Travel Agent that Jet offers excellent aircraft & service levels on this sector. I don't think you'd be disapponited by their service in any way.

However, I hope you know that there are taxes over & above the basic fares which would work out to another 40% or so - I think you'd be looking at a return of around 45k if I'm not mistaken.

That's not too good to be true, is it?
Old 5th March 2008, 18:08   #5
Team-BHP Support

36k fare one way is good but I have heard of even more competitive fares. Its nothing exemplary I must say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I think you'd be looking at a return of around 45k if I'm not mistaken.

That's not too good to be true, is it?
Suman, even if that is not "too good to be true" I think that is highly competitive for sure. 22.5k one way, all inclusive, is certainly very very competitive I must say. Only once or twice have I heard of anything more competitive and that was 19k one way I think.

Last edited by Zappo : 5th March 2008 at 18:11.
Old 5th March 2008, 18:19   #6
BHPian

i havent travelled Jet but one of my relatives has, mentioned that the service was very good on Jet . it is good value for money.

so i assume that it must be good.

Mansi
Old 5th March 2008, 18:23   #7
BHPian

36K one way was from Cochin to Chicago, and booked with only 2 weeks in advance..
that was chaper than indian and all others..

My roomie came by Ethihaad Through Dubai and his worked out to be 30K which was the only cheaper oneway student ticket to Chi town
Old 5th March 2008, 18:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Suman, even if that is not "too good to be true" I think that is highly competitive for sure. 22.5k one way, all inclusive, is certainly very very competitive I must say. Only once or twice have I heard of anything more competitive and that was 19k one way I think.
Air India are now offering around 40-45k return from Delhi on their new long range aircraft. You may end up getting almost the same on Lufthansa if you are lucky (right combination of onward & return dates).

Its a dog-eat-dog situation out there these days, good for us!
Old 5th March 2008, 18:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yeah! its too good for us too.

Will PM you my shopping list

It runs into few pages (IIRC, 10-15 only)

Bon Voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Old 5th March 2008, 22:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone. 22.5k ex-mumbai is the least fare that Jet quotes, I am talking of travel in May. 30k inclusive of taxes - I am unable to find a lesser quote. And I hate Air-India.

@Dadu - I don't read my PM's at all.
Old 5th March 2008, 22:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

One of my business associate had came by Jet airways couple of years ago from UK. And he was so impressed with the aircraft and the crew that now he regularly travels by Jet to and fro.
One of the main advantage of Jet is it arrives at Mumbai around 11 in the morning so you basically get half days working if you are in Mumbai and if you are in Pune the guests can relax for the evening and be ready for next day morning.
Old 5th March 2008, 22:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
One of my business associate had came by Jet airways couple of years ago from UK.
Couple of years ? Jet is flying to UK since 2006 ? Am asking because a friend of mine came on Austrian from London.
Old 5th March 2008, 23:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Couple of years ? Jet is flying to UK since 2006 ?
Yup. They have a Euro hub in Brussels Airport, and a tieup with Belgian to connect the rest of Europe. Brussels is also their stopover for American flights.

Jet also flies to the middle east nowadays, sadly not yet to the UAE. I believe their aircraft and the in-flight service is fantastic, and that their business and first class will put the larger airlines of the world to shame.

Now we'll wait for Kingfisher to start flying abroad. With Deccan in their pockets, they will be able to do so earlier. Bring on the A380, Mr. Mallya!
Old 5th March 2008, 23:09   #14
Team-BHP Support

Did a Mumbai-Singapore trip recently on Jet Airways.
The aircraft was the same Boeing 777 series that they use for their Mumbai-Newark service.
Pretty comfortable for Economy, unlike the horribly cramped seats on the British Airways flight I took a couple of years ago.

One gripe: The aircraft had no individual air-vent control.

Plus point: As the crew is Indian, they're comfortable speaking in Hindi. In-flight service was excellent. The flight crew went out of their way to keep passengers happy.
All flights to and from India have announcements in English and Hindi. What I've noticed is that Indian crew members on international airlines, eg. Delta, American Airlines, etc., make utterly horrible, horrible announcements in Hindi.
They just cannot be understood or they don't want to be understood.
Didn't have such problems on Jet though - maybe we just had a good crew.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th March 2008 at 23:12. Reason: info
Old 6th March 2008, 10:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Kuttapan! Happy journey brother. Ever tried Etihad or Emirates? they too are good options.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks