Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 10:30   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
I think I have mentioned this earlier in this thread, but to reiterate: I have booked and cancelled tickets on IRCTC so many times that I have lost count of it. This includes booking for family in India when I was abroad.

The service has been one of the best that I have seen. The tickets are delivered to the delivery address the next day, if booking done before 4PM, or the day after if the booking is done after 4PM. Not one single instance of ticket gone missing. Now with the e-ticket, life is even more easier.

Cancellation is a pain in the pocket, but not the process. Your cancellation will trigger an email with the details and also the process to follow if your account is not credited within 3 days. I have never had an issue of credit not happening.

So, bottom line, IRCTC is a great site. Very useful in saving yourself a trip to the reservation booth. The process are in place and working beautifully. As for the pop-ups, yes, they are a pain; but then, use a pop-up blocker. Unlike certain other transaction sites, IRCTC does not use pop-up to display and transaction data or status.
I can vouch for that too, never had any problems with the bookings, sometimes the site is slow but eventually the results are good enough. I have never cancelled my bookings so dont know the process but i presume it would be smooth enough. I have always opted for e-tickets coz they are easy to print, never went for physical tickets. One area where I feel the site needs definite improvement is faster display of availability, fares, routes etc. The pop up takes slightly longer time to display. Also some addtional features such as tatkal availability would also help the customers.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:39   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Yes the main frustration is indianrail.gov.in site
however irctc is Pain in Back when it comes to ticket booking in earlier morning hours when tatkal quota is released 8 A.M.
you can never book tatkal tickets around 8A.M. and i would not be surprised that if there's a commercial racket run behind the server issue.
IRCTC site is quite nice with no pop-up ads and I have always successfully booked my tickets through them. The last time I went to the station to book tickets was many years ago. Yes, sometimes it stops working and you have to login again etc.

However, as you rightly said, booking a tatkal ticket or a 90 days opening day ticket is a major problem. I have been successful in doing that only once and that too from my office. Whenever I have tried it from home, you simply cannot get through till the end. Even I suspect some scam there since you can get the tatkal/90 days opening tickets (especially for the vacation time) through an agent most of the times.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:51   #138
Senior - BHPian

There is another site which provides very useful information regarding the railways called Database of Indian Railways Trains & Stations - India Rail Info
Normally I visit this site and collect the reqd info. Then log on to IRCTC and book my tickets, less time consuming and less headaches also.
The site which i mentioned does have all the information which IRCTC has with only difference of not able to book. I hope the site helps.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:04   #139
BANNED

Yes the Tatkal and 90days prior ticket bookings are difficult, may be because of too much traffic, But had been successful 4/5 times on both. I used book these throuogh "quick book" page.
Old 6th August 2010, 17:23   #140
MX6
Senior - BHPian

All travellers down south take a note of this great piece of news.

12,000 train berths gone in 8 mins - Chennai - City - The Times of India

Since T-BHPians drive, we won't be impacted much. But then, with so much of crowd flocking around during Diwali, there's going to be rush everywhere. Hotels, roads, tourist places etc.
Old 6th August 2010, 17:44   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonder how the servers coped with that rush. Esp the first 8 minutes.

I use IRCTC regularly, and have never had a problem with the system. Except that first 45 minutes of the day (8 am - 8.45 am) the server response is very slow. I avoid booking during this time since pages dont refresh & I lose my session. (This is not a internet connection problem ). For my bookings, tatkal seats have been available even after 9 am, so this initial rush has never been a problem.
Old 6th August 2010, 17:52   #142
Senior - BHPian

It is a regular feature for trains leaving from Chennai Egmore during festival dates. This is also the time when the private omni buses make a killing with all those FC expired buses running as specials.
Old 6th August 2010, 17:58   #143
Senior - BHPian

I have never used their site, but have seen many of my colleagues using it for bookings. They all praise Indian railway for making their life easy.
Old 6th August 2010, 17:58   #144
Senior - BHPian

I will echo the same sentiment showed in last few posts, I never had a problem with IRCTC. I have cancelled number of tickets becasue of some or other reason and everytime the refund was made promptly.
As far as the pop window for ticket availbility is concerned it do take a lots of time in showing the details irrespective of the speed of your interent connection. But this thing surely has made life easy, I can't even imagine going to one of the ever over crowded booking counter and stand in line.
Old 6th August 2010, 18:04   #145
Senior - BHPian

I hate their site.

I booked a ticket for a friend. The train was canceled due to recent monsoons and on trying to take the refund they declined it and have not refunded any money to my account.
Old 6th August 2010, 19:06   #146
Senior - BHPian

I got a mail from IRCTC a couple of days ago stating that they have upgraded their site. Anyone booked tickets after the update? How are the changes?
Old 6th August 2010, 19:42   #147
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
I hate their site.

I booked a ticket for a friend. The train was canceled due to recent monsoons and on trying to take the refund they declined it and have not refunded any money to my account.
While you are entitled to your opinions, I find no problems here.

WHen a train is cancelled, your fare is either automatically refunded, or you need to get the ticket endorsed at the boarding station (IIRC, there is no time limit), and then file a "TDR" on the site. Look around on the left hand side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I got a mail from IRCTC a couple of days ago stating that they have upgraded their site. Anyone booked tickets after the update? How are the changes?
I have been doing this on and off; and have no problems. The look and feel have not changed.
Old 7th August 2010, 00:44   #148
Senior - BHPian

Of course! this site made life easy.

Best bet is to use it between 22:30hrs and 23:30hrs. when the booking is about to be closed. I never had problems with this site, I use it a lot. Jumping back and forth east to west and vice-versa is impractical in cars.

Whole day the site is very busy. Early morning all the agents make it busy trying to get Tatkal. Best bet is to use it late night when its about to close

Old 7th August 2010, 13:15   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
guys check out the new beta version. It is probably one of the best ones out there right now..
Old 7th August 2010, 13:21   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
guys check out the new beta version. It is probably one of the best ones out there right now..
Yes it's much more crisp and better now, hope it can keep the enormous no of online users happy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks